or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps ›  iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 . - Page 55

post #811 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj_rage View Post

At least, this is how my early February model works.
x2!
post #812 of 1153
Thanks for the clarification!

Just ordered one today... anticipa-a-tion !!!
.
post #813 of 1153
Does anyone have any comments on D4's DAC only (line out function?). I have a pair of self-powered monitors and they sounded wonderful today out of my Sansa Clip+, but I had to set volume at 4 pm. I wonder if the DAC out function has a decent output power.
post #814 of 1153
It would be definitely nice,infact I'am planning to use it as my desktop DAC.
post #815 of 1153
Hey guys, I am really thinking about using the D4 as my desktop DAC, the only problem is that I have a Macbook Pro, and I heard clipping will occur... I would use the EF-5 as my amp... Do you guys think this is not a big concern, or should I not take the risk here? thanks,
post #816 of 1153
I've heard clipping issues are happening only on iTunes and setting the volume down a notch should fix it.
post #817 of 1153

Stopping Clipping by turning down Itunes

I am not convinced by the turning down Itunes suggestion. It certainly helps, but on music with a very broad dynamic range (a good example would be large scale choral work) if the Itunes volume is set at 75% and the D4 is set at an appropriate volume for the quieter passages distortion/clipping is still clearly audible on the louder passages.

I am very impressed by Madwolf's suggestions and am building up to the 2.2k resistor mod.

However, my take is that the Ibasso D4 has got a design fault and I would not recommend that you buy one for use with a Macbook pro.

I am going to email Ibasso with this issue to see what their take on it is.

I will keep you all posted.

In the meantime I would keep your wallet closed for the time being.
post #818 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthegearnoidea View Post
I am not convinced by the turning down Itunes suggestion. It certainly helps, but on music with a very broad dynamic range (a good example would be large scale choral work) if the Itunes volume is set at 75% and the D4 is set at an appropriate volume for the quieter passages distortion/clipping is still clearly audible on the louder passages.

I am very impressed by Madwolf's suggestions and am building up to the 2.2k resistor mod.

However, my take is that the Ibasso D4 has got a design fault and I would not recommend that you buy one for use with a Macbook pro.

I am going to email Ibasso with this issue to see what their take on it is.

I will keep you all posted.

In the meantime I would keep your wallet closed for the time being.
What volume on the D4 are you hearing the distortion at and is it with battery or with USB? Also, what headphones/impedance are you driving?

Like any amp, it can only do so much. If you turn down itunes too much, you have to turn up the D4 more, especially with 5V, it's definitely going to distort (and that has nothing to do with the DAC). If the volume on the D4 is less than 1 o'clock, though, you may have a different issue.

Based on the details from madwolf, if you are getting distortion with itunes set at 75%, the 2.2k mod isn't going to help. All the 2.2k mod does is make the "new" 100% in itunes act more like 75 or 80% does currently.
post #819 of 1153
Just installed HiFlight's D4 topkit today and i realized a significant improvement in sound. The D4's much clearer and the soundstage has definitely widen by a noticeable margin!

I've been doing my fair share of "homework" by extensively using the D4 to get used to its "stock" sound so that i can really tell if there is a difference with the upgraded op-amp installed and am pleased to report, indeed there is! And a significant improvement at that!

I understand that replacing the stock buffers with the dummy buffers would yield a better battery life in exchange for some decrease in bass and power? And since i'm gonna be using the D4 primarily as a DAC, i've decided to leave the stock buffers where they were! (Please correct me if i'm mistaken)

All in all, a worthy upgrade for all D4 users! I've yet to listen to any of the RSA amplifiers but according to HPA, if the D4 with upgraded op-amp comes close to the sound of the P-51, i'll definitely be looking into getting an RSA amp in the near future since the upgraded D4 sounds so clear and wonderful!

Thanks to everyone for their invaluable advice through this thread!

Cheers!
post #820 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpler View Post
Just installed HiFlight's D4 topkit today and i realized a significant improvement in sound. The D4's much clearer and the soundstage has definitely widen by a noticeable margin!

I've been doing my fair share of "homework" by extensively using the D4 to get used to its "stock" sound so that i can really tell if there is a difference with the upgraded op-amp installed and am pleased to report, indeed there is! And a significant improvement at that!

I understand that replacing the stock buffers with the dummy buffers would yield a better battery life in exchange for some decrease in bass and power? And since i'm gonna be using the D4 primarily as a DAC, i've decided to leave the stock buffers where they were! (Please correct me if i'm mistaken)

All in all, a worthy upgrade for all D4 users! I've yet to listen to any of the RSA amplifiers but according to HPA, if the D4 with upgraded op-amp comes close to the sound of the P-51, i'll definitely be looking into getting an RSA amp in the near future since the upgraded D4 sounds so clear and wonderful!

Thanks to everyone for their invaluable advice through this thread!

Cheers!
I too noticed an improvement with the topkit. A wider soundstage for sure. When I removed the stock buffers, I found that it further widened the soundstage and especially increased clarity enough that I'm sticking with the dummies. The dummy buffers also increased the amount of volume I could get out of the unit before distortion. It essentially made it so that 5V with dummy buffers is roughly equal to 9V with stock buffers, in terms of where the distortion starts (from having the volume too high). This way I can run at 5V most of the time without much difference from 9V. With the dummy buffers, distortion at 5V isn't perceptible to me until past around 3:30 on the volume knob, and with 9V, the distortion doesn't start until just about maximum volume.

So for me personally, the dummy buffers increasing battery life is just icing on the cake. At least with the DT880/600s, which are not the best specimen for this unit due to their impedance, but are the only headphones I have to try besides the W3s (which didn't show nearly as noticeable of a difference).
post #821 of 1153
I am confused in choosing Amp/DAC.I have a laptop and a creative X-fi USB sound card .I have a Philips SHP9000 which is been lying unused from the day i got ( purchased it in India for a steal deal) .I tried using it with the sound card but feel that the sound card is not doing justice so looking for an Amp/DAC.I want it to be portable so that i can use it with my Cowon D2 as well.I have RE1 which i pair with cMoy as of now but i am not liking the sound signature that much .

I tired pairing the sound card -->cMoy-->RE 1 it sounds brilliant.I want same kind of sound on the GO and same out of the SHP 9000.Spoke to Indian Head-fier and cornered to get the D4 Mamba as it has DAC and AMP .I am confused here again because the D4 can last only upto a 9hours usage on a 9V battery,purchasing a 9V every time is going to be expensive here in New Zealand and looking at the images i feel its big to carry around,so i thought of the below setup.

Get a uDAC and a T3 or T4 .I wanna know which is a better setup and which sounds good enough( I am a bass head) .I might upgrade to the Triple Fi's in some time and get a decent headphone as well.I will be using the headphones with the laptop only and not on the GO.

Can some one post images of comparing it with any player like the cowon or ipod .I wanna make a good investment and my total budget is limited to $250 USD (Including shipping to NZ,might stretch $10 or 20 MAX ).

Please help me out in choosing the right product .
post #822 of 1153
You can use a rechargeable 9V battery ! I used two for my old Corda Porta III. Get 2 batteries so that you never run out of juice. If you use a trickle charger it will take a good 15 - 17 hours to charge but they wont damage your batteries.

The D4 is the best for you. Don't compromise and get a T3/T4 as they dont have a DAC. Get this and sell off your Creative X-Fi.
post #823 of 1153
Thanks Saar.One last Q how much does the D4 Mamba weigh with the battery in it.How big is it when compared to the cMoy( JDS Labs v2)??

Is it easy to change the amps coz i am planning to get the rollalbe amps also had a word with iBasso they said the price is $25USD.i just want the investment to be rock solid for the next 3 years atleast.

After reading so many reviews about the D4 mamba my hands are itching to get it but my wallet is crying
post #824 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalspree View Post
Thanks Saar.One last Q how much does the D4 Mamba weigh with the battery in it.How big is it when compared to the cMoy( JDS Labs v2)??
I have no idea since I have used neither amp !

From the specs the Ibasso weighs 130g. Add another 30g or so for a 9V battery and the amp will weigh 160g more or less.

Your Cowon D2+ weighs about 91 gms. So its close to double the weight of the D2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalspree View Post
Is it easy to change the amps coz i am planning to get the rollalbe amps also had a word with iBasso they said the price is $25USD.i just want the investment to be rock solid for the next 3 years atleast.
Yes it is easy as there is no soldering involved. You just push the OPAMP into the socket and you are good to go ! However you might require a bridge to insert the OPAMP into before pushing it into the socket. Then also there is no soldering involved.

There is no such thing as a rock sold investment. That said its a very good amp and will give any amp twice the cost a run for its money. So I dont forsee you getting bored of it quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalspree View Post
After reading so many reviews about the D4 mamba my hands are itching to get it but my wallet is crying
Welcome to head-fi !!!
post #825 of 1153
Notebook (battery powered) + stock opamp =>no hiss
PC (USB powered -> bad signal quality) + stock opamp =>heavy hiss
PC + 9 V battery powered + stock opamp => no hiss
PC (USB powered) + Audio-GD Earth => no hiss


Strange imo, but I'm happy at the moment with the Earth opamp in my D4. Does the choice of opamp has that much affect to the hissing level?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps ›  iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .