or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps ›  iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 . - Page 72

post #1066 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post

I'm a new owner of a D4. Finally I can listen to some music on my laptop with a DAC.

I bought the D4 from another head-fi'er so the unit is burnt-in.

DAC-performance is excellent, amp powered by USB is very good as well.

With my DDM's I prefer my Corda XXS, the XXS has punchier bass and is slightly warmer.

My Brainwavz M1 on the other hand sound better with the D4, must be the mids.

I would like to swap opamps. Any tips on a warmish, musical sound. I want punchy bass, but I was already happy with my RE0's and the iBasso T4 or XXS. DDM's are ofcourse bassheavier but miss the punch in the bass I get with my XXS.

HiFlights topkit LR module with stock buffers seem to be a good option, from what I am reading.

Anyone heard the ADH4841-2 and/or LMH6643? Those opamps should be supported and are for sale from iBasso as part of the D10/12 opamp kit.

Or is there some other place where I can get opamps and/or buffers?


I think you will really like the OPA1611 class-A boased opamps on a 2:1 that HiFlight sells.  I like this with the stock buffers.

 

post #1067 of 1153

Hi all,

So I bought a D4 to try out and use at work, at also at home on my mac sometimes. I like it a lot, it sounds really good. Anyway, I looked around for an answer, but could not find it to my question, which is:

 

When I am only using the amp section, while at work, LOD into my iphone 3gs, and I'm powering through USB port into a wall socket using the iphone USB charge connection thingy, is it bad to leave the iBasso plugged in all the time, in this configuration? Any opinion on this? Should I only use battery? Can I leave the D4 plugged in via USB even if I'm not using it some of the time or continually unplug it or what? I just want to make sure im not doing any harm I'm unaware of. 

post #1068 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktitan View Post

Hi all,

So I bought a D4 to try out and use at work, at also at home on my mac sometimes. I like it a lot, it sounds really good. Anyway, I looked around for an answer, but could not find it to my question, which is:

 

When I am only using the amp section, while at work, LOD into my iphone 3gs, and I'm powering through USB port into a wall socket using the iphone USB charge connection thingy, is it bad to leave the iBasso plugged in all the time, in this configuration? Any opinion on this? Should I only use battery? Can I leave the D4 plugged in via USB even if I'm not using it some of the time or continually unplug it or what? I just want to make sure im not doing any harm I'm unaware of. 

You will not harm your D4 by leaving it plugged into USB power.   I leave mine connected 24/7.   Has been for over a year with no ill effects. 


 

 

post #1069 of 1153

Thanks HiFlight, that's just the answer I was looking for. cheers!

post #1070 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post



You will not harm your D4 by leaving it plugged into USB power.   I leave mine connected 24/7.   Has been for over a year with no ill effects. 


 

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by adktitan View Post

Thanks HiFlight, that's just the answer I was looking for. cheers!



I too have left my D4 connected for long periods (months at a time) with no damage.

post #1071 of 1153

Second cheers 'around mrarroyo! beerchug.gif

post #1072 of 1153

I got a topkit and optional opamp in the mail today! Thanks Ron!

 

My initial impressions are positive, and I put in the optional opamp (LT1355CN8) and bypass buffers. 

 

It now looks like this:

 

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg198/au5t3n5/SDC13022.jpg?t=1304630927

 

I know Larry (as of a few days ago and a few posts ago) as well as a fair amount of other users like to use the stock buffers and 2:1 OPA1611 opamp.

 

My question is, now that I have and option of:

 

 

Ibasso D4 Mamba
Buffers: Opamps:
(2) Stock 

(1) Stock 

(2) Bypass 

(1) OPA1611

 

(1) LT1355CN8 

 

 

Which combinations make what sounds? I know that my current combination is supposed to give:

 

(2) Bypass buffers (better battery life)

(1) LT1355CN8 (better highs/imaging)

 

But what about other setups like Larry's? Yes, I know I could try them all for myself, but I'd like everyone else's input.

 

 
 
 

Edited by au5t3n5 - 5/5/11 at 3:53pm
post #1073 of 1153

Hi All,

  Interested in suggestions for a rechargeable battery for the D4.  Lithium Ion? Lithium Polymer? 9V? 9.6? 520MAH? 500MAH?

 

So far I have found this battery:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-520.html

 

Thanks!

 

-Mark

post #1074 of 1153



I use Maha 9V nimh for $11.50 each.  Got it from Thomas Distributing.  I am about to order the Tysonic 9V low discharge which some headfi member swear by.  Hope this helps.  Right now I'm using a regular 9V energizer on my D4 and I'm pleased with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musedesign View Post

Hi All,

  Interested in suggestions for a rechargeable battery for the D4.  Lithium Ion? Lithium Polymer? 9V? 9.6? 520MAH? 500MAH?

 

So far I have found this battery:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-520.html

 

Thanks!

 

-Mark



 

post #1075 of 1153

     Quote:

Originally Posted by MilesDavis2 View Post



I use Maha 9V nimh for $11.50 each.  Got it from Thomas Distributing.  I am about to order the Tysonic 9V low discharge which some headfi member swear by.  Hope this helps.  Right now I'm using a regular 9V energizer on my D4 and I'm pleased with it.



 


Hi MilesDavis2, 

  Thank you for the post.  I just ordered the 2 X 9v Rechargeable Lithium Battery 550mAh+1 Charger ($30) on ebay.  Will post a message when I receive the package.

Thanks, Mark


Edited by musedesign - 6/28/11 at 6:21pm
post #1076 of 1153

Got some opa1612 - can somebody tell me the difference between opa1612 biased to class A and one not biased ? How is the bias done?

post #1077 of 1153

 

Sorry for the newbie question.  Trying to figure out the Gain Switch on the D4.

 

Please confirm:

Gain is "on" in the up position

Gain is "off" in the down position

 

High Impedance Headphones are 300ohm and above

Low Impedance Headphones are less than 300 ohm 

 

When I listen to my HD650 (300 ohm)  I put the Gain Switch in the "on" position (up), when I am listening to my HD201 (24 ohm), I put the Gain switch in the "off" position (down).  The Gain switch seems to add one click (difference between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock) to the volume to any given headphones.  The Gain Switch is to add volume to headphone of High Impedance.  

 

Will the Sound Quality suffer (I can't hear a difference)?  Is this the correct understanding?

 

Thank you!

post #1078 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by musedesign View Post

 

Sorry for the newbie question.  Trying to figure out the Gain Switch on the D4.

 

Please confirm:

Gain is "on" in the up position

Gain is "off" in the down position

 

High Impedance Headphones are 300ohm and above

Low Impedance Headphones are less than 300 ohm 

 

When I listen to my HD650 (300 ohm)  I put the Gain Switch in the "on" position (up), when I am listening to my HD201 (24 ohm), I put the Gain switch in the "off" position (down).  The Gain switch seems to add one click (difference between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock) to the volume to any given headphones.  The Gain Switch is to add volume to headphone of High Impedance.  

 

Will the Sound Quality suffer (I can't hear a difference)?  Is this the correct understanding?

 

Thank you!

 

The gain switch selects 2 different gain settings, up for high, down for low.   The gain switch allows one to select a setting that will keep the volume knob above the very low portion of its travel where tracking is often not matched.  There is little difference, if any, in the sound quality.  Just use whichever position seems to match best with the phones you are using. 
 

 

post #1079 of 1153

     Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post

 

The gain switch selects 2 different gain settings, up for high, down for low.   The gain switch allows one to select a setting that will keep the volume knob above the very low portion of its travel where tracking is often not matched.  There is little difference, if any, in the sound quality.  Just use whichever position seems to match best with the phones you are using. 
 

 


HiFlight,

  Thank you!  Am I correct that Low Gain is Low Impedance (below 300ohm) and High Gain is High Impedance (above 300ohm)?

 

post #1080 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by musedesign View Post

     Quote:


HiFlight,

  Thank you!  Am I correct that Low Gain is Low Impedance (below 300ohm) and High Gain is High Impedance (above 300ohm)?

 


I set the gain to high (on) for my RE262 (150 Ohm) and Superlux HD668B (56 Ohm). For my RE-ZERO (16 Ohm), DDM (24 Ohm) I set it to low (off).
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps ›  iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .