or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps ›  iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 . - Page 68

post #1006 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post

Even with 5v power, both the D4 and D10/12 sound excellent and can easily power most phones to a satisfying level without distortion or clipping. 



X3.

 

I use the D4 to power the HD650s while I wait for my desktop amp and it does a wonderful job for being so small. The difference between USB and 9v power is not that big, if there at all. I've tried to see the difference by flipping the switch and very few times could I tell the difference.

post #1007 of 1153

I have been using the D4 for a month now with the top kit and am astonished with its performance ! The topkit brings the vocal closer and takes the highs higher smily_headphones1.gif. Using with the included buffer, with ety-4p, the lows left me desiring more ! However with stock buffers the lows were brought up and were perfect ! I have also observed no change in the sound characteristics when running 9V or 5V

 

O.T : Joe satriani's black hole and wormhole wizards sounds amazing \m/ 

post #1008 of 1153

I'm curious, so does the topflight kit take anything away from the sound at all? I like my lows the way they are right now, also wouldn't want to make the music sound too bright, if bright at all.

post #1009 of 1153

I have had my (stock) D4 for somewhere around 12 months now (cant recall when it was released, but I got mine shortly thereafter), and I am still stunned by the WHF review - in a mag where almost everything seems to be greeted with a favourable response, I found it interesting that they felt the need to attack the DAC section of a piece of kit which costs less than many of the interconnects on the site.

 

The D4 isnt the best-thing-since-sliced-bread, but I think people have to be realistic in their expecations - if there is a better bang-for-your-buck DAC/amp, I'll be happy to hear it. That said, it just isnt going to be able to compete with a good desktop rig - for reasons which escape me, the WHF reviewer seemed to feel that it should. Very odd.

post #1010 of 1153

So I finally sold off some excess gear here in my desk drawers and had the money burning a hole in my Paypal account and I just thought I'd go for the D4.

 

Looking forward to give it a try.

post #1011 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

So I finally sold off some excess gear here in my desk drawers and had the money burning a hole in my Paypal account and I just thought I'd go for the D4.

 

Looking forward to give it a try.


I'm loving mine.. I just received my Topkit from Ron and it's installed, I'm digesting the changes now and hope to report back shortly.  In the meantime, it's time to get back to listening.

post #1012 of 1153

I just got my D4 topkit, plus a bonus OPA2227 and have been playing around with them for the last hour. My very first opamp rolling experience. Does this mean I've lost my audio virginity?

 

First off: WOW, I'm impressed. I was expecting changing opamps to make a difference, but I wasn't expecting such a visceral and obvious difference.

 

HiFlight suggested the OPA2227 when I said I wanted warm and bassy. He warned that it with the bypass buffers was 'too bassy' for the JH16's. Frankly I didn't think such a thing was possible, but in this case it was. The sound was better than the stock kit, but the bass was so powerful as to distort the JH16's at a moderate volume level. This made some kinds of Electronic music sound pretty nice, the sound isn't well suited to rock/indie stuff.

 

Moving on I tried the topkit OPA1161 with the bypass buffers. While others have described this as 'perfect' and 'neutral' I found it a bit cold (I like my music like I like my men: hot), but the clarity was amazing. The difference between this and the stock opamp was stunning - I was already tripping over my new JH16's and how many little details I'd never heard in favorite tracks, but with this opamp I'm hearing even more subtlety than I was before. The bass has impact AND detail, and the midrange is downright visceral. 

 

I tried putting the stock buffers in with the OPA1161 and am going it set up like that. The stock buffers add a touch more warmth to the sound and suits my tastes perfectly. The bass and midrange impact/detail are the same as with the bypass buffers, and the highs seem a bit less piercing. This setup was perfect for both booming electronic music (50% of my listening) and rock/indie stuff (the rest). 

 

While I was expecting the difference between this setup and the stock setup to be perceptible, perhaps a 5% difference in perceived sound, I was really honestly surprised to find it made a marked difference, in the 25-30% 'different' range. Given a blind A/B test I wouldn't have believed that the same amp made both sounds. Then again - did it? Isn't the opamp what does the amplification itself? So hard to seperate the device I can hold from the chip in my mind.


Edited by sparktography - 11/2/10 at 4:49pm
post #1013 of 1153
Thread Starter 

I give op amps a bit of burn-in. Some believe there is a difference, some not. I have heard small changes, as in a smoother upper end and more fleshed out mids. The changes were small but an improvement. As always, YMMV. 

post #1014 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparktography View Post

I just got my D4 topkit, plus a bonus OPA2227 and have been playing around with them for the last hour. My very first opamp rolling experience. Does this mean I've lost my audio virginity?

 

First off: WOW, I'm impressed. I was expecting changing opamps to make a difference, but I wasn't expecting such a visceral and obvious difference.

 

HiFlight suggested the OPA2227 when I said I wanted warm and bassy. He warned that it with the bypass buffers was 'too bassy' for the JH16's. Frankly I didn't think such a thing was possible, but in this case it was. The sound was better than the stock kit, but the bass was so powerful as to distort the JH16's at a moderate volume level. This made some kinds of Electronic music sound pretty nice, the sound isn't well suited to rock/indie stuff.

 

Moving on I tried the topkit OPA1161 with the bypass buffers. While others have described this as 'perfect' and 'neutral' I found it a bit cold (I like my music like I like my men: hot), but the clarity was amazing. The difference between this and the stock opamp was stunning - I was already tripping over my new JH16's and how many little details I'd never heard in favorite tracks, but with this opamp I'm hearing even more subtlety than I was before. The bass has impact AND detail, and the midrange is downright visceral. 

 

I tried putting the stock buffers in with the OPA1161 and am going it set up like that. The stock buffers add a touch more warmth to the sound and suits my tastes perfectly. The bass and midrange impact/detail are the same as with the bypass buffers, and the highs seem a bit less piercing. This setup was perfect for both booming electronic music (50% of my listening) and rock/indie stuff (the rest). 

 

While I was expecting the difference between this setup and the stock setup to be perceptible, perhaps a 5% difference in perceived sound, I was really honestly surprised to find it made a marked difference, in the 25-30% 'different' range. Given a blind A/B test I wouldn't have believed that the same amp made both sounds. Then again - did it? Isn't the opamp what does the amplification itself? So hard to seperate the device I can hold from the chip in my mind.


I also use the stock buffers with the OPA1611 opamps, for the same reasons (more warmth less cold).

post #1015 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post




I also use the stock buffers with the OPA1611 opamps, for the same reasons (more warmth less cold).


As per your recommendation earlier in this thread (HPA), I tried this setup after an hour with the Topkit buffers installed, this is the way it's staying for the time being.  Thanks for the tip.    I agree with you and Sparktography, the stock buffers add a little warmth back and make it juuuuuust riiiiight..  

post #1016 of 1153

My D4 arrived today...less than 3 days after I ordered it from iBasso. Very quick shipping from China -  Canada (Toronto).

 

So far, I'm at work and using it with my RE0s and right out of the box it sounds very good. A good bump in sound stage / bass presence over my FiiO E5 that I keep in my desk. I plan to try it with my Shure SE535s and Ultrasone Edition 8LEs tonight.

 

I do notice that it is more powerful with the 9V battery over my (now sold) D10 and a bit more neutral (less warm) too with my RE0 IEMs.

 

I have been using it with with my iPhone / LOD so far, but will also try the USB/DAC later...but so far, I'm very impressed.

post #1017 of 1153

So for fun, I popped in my 600 ohm T1s with my D4 (USB from iTunes).

 

This pairing never got to a reasonable volume with my D10, but surprisingly with the D4 on high gain and battery on, I can get them to a reasonable volume at 2-3 o'clock. I'm surprised by this (and quite happy).

 

Now it doesn't sound anywhere as good as with my desktop amps, but for a portable....it ain't bad.

post #1018 of 1153
Cool. With the right lod, the ed. 8 and d4 pair very well... I have enjoyed them very much.
post #1019 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWuss View Post

Cool. With the right lod, the ed. 8 and d4 pair very well... I have enjoyed them very much.


I did try that combination too tonight...very nice actually.

post #1020 of 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

My D4 arrived today...less than 3 days after I ordered it from iBasso. Very quick shipping from China -  Canada (Toronto).

 

 

I have also had excellent delivery experiences with iBasso - huge contrast to my experience here in Oz. Despite living on one of the main transport routes in Oz, anything from Perth or Melbourne seems to take at least a week to get here. No Customs checks, no flight delays - that's just the way it is when you have a big country and very little competition. Roll on next Tuesday. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps ›  iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .