That's it ?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- DAC vs AMP Last post on 4/4/15 at 9:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on 1/23/17 at 12:09pm in Dedicated Source Components
- "Headphone Amplifier With DAC" - iPhone Lightning to Headphone Jack Last post on 12/16/16 at 11:17am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headamp Pico Unsampling DAC serial# 099 (Black) Last post on 9/8/16 at 1:40am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Every now and then I get a pleasant surprise in the form of an email inquiring about my interest in reviewing a product. And this was most certainly the case with Unique Innovation...
FiiO x5iii Many times, there is trepidation when you sign up for a possible tour review, at least for me. Your hope is to not only be chosen, but to give an open honest review, under the...
I would like to thank Gibson Innovations for the opportunity to review the H900M. Above: H900M top, A800 below Above: H900M Before I begin,...
Yet again (with several more to soon follow), I find myself owing a great deal of thanks (and at this point...
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread - Page 31post #451 of 5175/16/13 at 6:45am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #452 of 5175/16/13 at 5:45pmpost #453 of 5175/18/13 at 2:26pmpost #454 of 5175/29/13 at 7:55am
Well, looks like Antelope is getting a little greedy. Where other companies (eg Resonessence) are retrofitting DSD to their DACs or allowing them to be sent in for the upgrade (eg Ayre), Antelope, which promised DSD on the Gold for months is reneging.
But wait, you can buy their new (undoubtedly more expensive) Platinum DAC which will do DSD.
No word yet on whether their 40k Rubicon DAC can be retrofitted for DSD. I can only imagine the users wanting to return their units for ones that do DSD, but of course once you buy one there is no return as that's kind of the definition of Rubicon in the first place.post #455 of 5175/29/13 at 8:17amRessonessence is selling an HD version of the Concero which will play DSD. As far as trading in the original Concero for an upgraded HD they haven't decided whether they are doing that yet.
But there higher end dac has been upgraded to play DSD true.
Edited by mcullinan - 5/29/13 at 8:21ampost #456 of 5175/29/13 at 8:26am
I'm talking about the Resonessence product in the same price bracket as the ZG, the Invicta. Other companies are doing it as well, with both more expensive products (DCS Debussy as an example) and cheaper. (W4S DAC-2.)post #457 of 5175/29/13 at 8:33amYeah I realize that. I think it would depend on whether the dac could support DSD after a firmware update. If it were possible I'm sure they'd do it. But if its a hardware update, if it could be done easily, I'm sure a fee would be involved.post #458 of 5175/29/13 at 9:11am
Here's how I'm reading it.
Antelope said it could be done for quite a while. Whether its a firmware update like the Invicta or hardware like Ayre or W4S, they thought it could be done on their existing DAC.
Then it promptly gets dropped and a new (probably more expensive) model is announced. That means either:
1) They couldn't do it, which I consider a failure and makes their products uncompetitive in a key emerging trend in the DAC market
2) They could do it, but it required updates (probably hardware) too costly to be worth it for them and/or the consumer
3) They could do it, but capitalized on the opportunity to release as a new product and make more money.
If #2 is what's going on, I would want to be informed as a consumer so that I didn't think #1 or 3.post #459 of 5175/29/13 at 9:22am
They should give you an answer to why after telling you it could be done, they didnt follow through. In the current DAc environment, since there are so many constant upgrades to performance, there definitely should be some kind of upgrade path. Its smart for the manufacturer, the keep you in the family and for the buyer, adds value to the original purchase.. since you can look forward to low cost upgrades. Hopefully you hear something about it.post #460 of 5175/30/13 at 10:29amHonestly, you shouldn't worry about it. DSD doesn't offer any quality improvements over high sample rate PCM.
It's better than CD quality audio, but worse than even 24/96 PCM.
If you have DSD tracks, just use a source which can do the conversion. (e.g. JRiver)
Even the designers behind some of the best DACs are saying this - both Benchmark and Weiss have stated that they prefer PCM over DSD - but they're adding DSD to their products because they don't want to be seen as missing features when other DACs are adding DSD support.post #461 of 5175/30/13 at 12:13pm
It's not about whether one would use it or not, its about telling people you'll release a feature and then not doing it. I agree though, this DSD thing seems more keeping up with the Jones'es than anything else.
With new info about the new Zodiac Platinum coming to light, things are starting to make sense- they didn't just want to go 128, they wanted to be the "best" by going 256 - for which they needed a custom receiver, and a whole new DAC. Still would have been nice to let buyers know but I understand them not offering to totally overhaul all existing DACs in circulation.post #462 of 5175/30/13 at 1:34pm
Partially marketing too. Seems that next price point after 3K is mid 5K. I own a Eximus DP1.. $3200, now April Music is releasing a mid 5K Dac soon. The Zodiac Gold is 3k, now a mid 5K Dac with the Platinum. I wonder who decides on these pricing schemes.post #463 of 5178/28/13 at 11:04pmpost #464 of 5179/24/13 at 3:14ampost #465 of 51711/11/13 at 1:40pm
A I am about to purchase a Zodiac Gold, I have a question for those of you who already own it.
I see the single ended analog RCA outputs are quoted as -10dBv, while the balanced analog outputs are +8 to +26 dBu. Well, can I use the balanced outputs to feed an headphone amplifier or those are too powerful for this purpose? (I'm really not into the electronic measurements). And in the case it is possible, I can do it with the default +22 dBu or should I trim them to a lower output?
- The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Band Name Game II 2 seconds ago
- › The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread 45 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 53 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Portable AMP or DAC? 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Leaving Schiit Jotunheim on for long period of time 6 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 6 minutes ago
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear