or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace - Page 59  

post #871 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter3d View Post
Differences in USB cables? Come on..
1. Have you tried different usb cables?
2. Have you done any research concerning jitter in digital cables?
3. Do you know the difference between adaptive mode and asynchronous mode in usb?
4. Do you think perhaps that a usb to spdif converter works similarly to a hard drive?

If your goal is just to drag this thread off top track and start another cable believer vs. non believers pointless discussion, please stop here.

If however, your intent is to learn or provide a useful insight; I invite to read Dan Lavry's posts on jitter and reflections in digital cables (the same rule apply to usb cables when they are used in the adaptive mode). I also invite you to read Stereophiles article and jitter measurement on digital cables (Stereophile: A Transport of Delight: CD Transport Jitter).
Of course, you could argue that those jitter numbers are below the threshold audibility of human hearing. But such a discussion is better suited for the sound science forum. Please read this : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/do...-forum-450574/
post #872 of 1712
Recieved my Hi-Face yesterday.
Holy Smokes!
I previously used the coax out from my on-board, which sounded good to me, but...after trying the hi-face, it was like buying a 4 times more expensive DAC. The most important thing that struck me was holographic/stereo imaging and that airy soundstage which i never thought could be done. Also music now just "flows", it became more coherent and liquid, more dynamic with better impact. Everyone which has a NOS DAC should try thins thing, seriously!
Well worth the money!!
Now who would be interested in a Super Hi-Face ?
post #873 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKu View Post
Now who would be interested in a Super Hi-Face ?
I would
post #874 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
I would
x2 But not overpriced.

Punk.
post #875 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKu View Post
Now who would be interested in a Super Hi-Face ?
I would, so I can buy a used Hi-Face from the FS Forum.
post #876 of 1712
DarKu which digital cable you used and haven't you got your T1 yet?
post #877 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
If your goal is just to drag this thread off top track and start another cable believer vs. non believers pointless discussion, please stop here.

If however, your intent is to learn or provide a useful insight; I invite to read Dan Lavry's posts on jitter and reflections in digital cables (the same rule apply to usb cables when they are used in the adaptive mode).
I don't want to start any pointless discussions, my reaction was kinda spontaneous.. its just that you were speaking of 'BIG' differences between different USB cables.. I will confess - I have no USB cables costing more than $3 or something, and I am willing to learn that I'm wrong, but could you tell me this: were your comparisons _completely blind_? (i.e., your friend switches the cable, and then invites you to the room, repeating this procedure ~10 times, you write down the answers and then you are graded). If not, then you should mention this together with any claims you make about the differences. Often in audio gear comparisons, our brain REALLY deceives us against our will, believe me - had my hands burned a lot with this.
post #878 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter3d View Post
I don't want to start any pointless discussions, my reaction was kinda spontaneous.. its just that you were speaking of 'BIG' differences between different USB cables.. I will confess - I have no USB cables costing more than $3 or something, and I am willing to learn that I'm wrong, but could you tell me this: were your comparisons _completely blind_? (i.e., your friend switches the cable, and then invites you to the room, repeating this procedure ~10 times, you write down the answers and then you are graded). If not, then you should mention this together with any claims you make about the differences. Often in audio gear comparisons, our brain REALLY deceives us against our will, believe me - had my hands burned a lot with this.
This thread was taken off-track too many times in discussing such things. If you care to read my first post, I explain my general philosophy in reviewing and A/Bing gear. If you disaporve of my findings or my methodology, then it is up to you to decide how you are going to value my comments.

Once again, please read this : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/do...-forum-450574/

Quote:
Since we've seemingly been inundated lately with these discussions, I find it necessary to spell it out clearly and explicitly:

We do not engage in the discussion of double-blind testing (DBT) of cables or any other components anywhere on this site except for the Sound Science forum.

We do this not because DBT is or is not an legitimate means for decision-making. Rather, in our experience we find that these discussions repeatedly break down rather quickly into nasty circular arguments by competing camps of true believers. We've come to the conclusion that there's no particularly worthwhile end to be served by this line of discussion, and as such we're asking that the membership only engage in it in threads in the Sound Science fourum .

Thanks...
post #879 of 1712
just wonder if the m2tech hiFace will match up to the Audio-gd REF 1 ? Or is there any better transport that is better than hiFace?
post #880 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentum View Post
DarKu which digital cable you used and haven't you got your T1 yet?
I used a 30$ digital cable from Sommer Cable, it is pretty nice, Neutrik jack, double shielded, feels very sturdy and sounds good to me, I'm picking my T1s tomorow.
post #881 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccschua View Post
just wonder if the m2tech hiFace will match up to the Audio-gd REF 1 ? Or is there any better transport that is better than hiFace?
One is a USB/SPDIF converter and the other is a DAC.
Can't compare them.
post #882 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccschua View Post
just wonder if the m2tech hiFace will match up to the Audio-gd REF 1 ? Or is there any better transport that is better than hiFace?
Hi ccschua,

I am not sure if I understood completely your answer. But here it is :

If your question is : "will the hiface work as transport for the REF1?" Then the answer is yes.

Fo the question: "are there better transports than the hiface?" The answer is also yes. But to my knowledge you won't find anything better at a similar price.

Empirical Audio is going to release soon a new version of their off-ramp (based on the hiface) and that should be better.
Cryoparts is selling the Diverter which is a cost no object usb to spdif converter (see here: CryoParts Sonicweld Diverter 24/96 USB to SPDIF Converter). Even if it is adaptive, it should give better results than the hiface.
Audio-gd is selling a digital to digital & reclocking device. However, it is limited to 16/44 from the usb input (but it can accept 24/96 from the spdif input). It might also perform better than the hiface at 16/44.

To sum up, if you want a cheap and high performing usb to spdif transport, the hiface is probably a good place to start.
post #883 of 1712
I'm under the impression that the current Off Ramp is already better than the hiFace, but it's much more expensive.
OTOH I might be very interested in the 'Super hiFace' depending on it's price.
Does anybody know if a hiFace with AES is in the works?
best regards
André
post #884 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
I'm under the impression that the current Off Ramp is already better than the hiFace, but it's much more expensive.
OTOH I might be very interested in the 'Super hiFace' depending on it's price.
Does anybody know if a hiFace with AES is in the works?
best regards
André
André if you are on Mac your NSD 192 MKII can run at 32bit/192KHz with the hiface as is now via RCA, and it sounds great.
All you need is a nice Coaxial cable like Stereovox XV2 or my favorite Oyaide DR-510.
post #885 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
André if you are on Mac your NSD 192 MKII can run at 32bit/192KHz with the hiface as is now via RCA, and it sounds great.
All you need is a nice Coaxial cable like Stereovox XV2 or my favorite Oyaide DR-510.
Unfortunately my North Star MkII was stolen while I was travelling from Brasilia do Sao Paulo. The thiefs didn't even have an idea what they were stealing, since they took all the luggage. My Ecosse XLR interconnects and my Tara Labs RSC Air Digital Cable was in there, too, though I wasn't too fond of the last item.
Since then I changed my DAC and Integrated and now am using a Camelot Uther 2.0 with latest upgrades as a DAC/Pre into a Gryphon Tabu2/onehundred.
Since normally the XLR digital interface is better than the coxial and toslink digital I was curious if there will be a hiFace with XLR output.
thanks for the hint, though.
best regards
André
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace