or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace - Page 28  

post #406 of 1712
tosehee, the driver you sent me is for the old Power PC Macs, not for the Intel ones.
Just got the Intel version from Marco a few minutes ago, and guess what:
It is 32bit/192kHz and the sound is absolutely great.
Love it!!!
post #407 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post
tosehee, the driver you sent me is for the old Power PC Macs, not for the Intel ones.
Just got the Intel version from Marco a few minutes ago, and guess what:
It is 32bit/192kHz and the sound is absolutely great.
Love it!!!
Yeah. I figured too. Is that 24 or 32bit? ;-)
post #408 of 1712
32bit/192kHz, sound is great!
post #409 of 1712
HiFace finally arrived. I just plugged it in and installed the drivers. It works fine. With quick testing I can't even reproduce the problem with light switches now (I used to get clicks, pops and dropouts on sound when turning on the lights or some other electric device when playing music). I hope it won't appear later.

I must do some comparison later on but if everything works fine then I think this is a keeper. I wouldn't have to play with sound cards anymore.
post #410 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu View Post
HiFace finally arrived. I just plugged it in and installed the drivers. It works fine. With quick testing I can't even reproduce the problem with light switches now (I used to get clicks, pops and dropouts on sound when turning on the lights or some other electric device when playing music). I hope it won't appear later.

I must do some comparison later on but if everything works fine then I think this is a keeper. I wouldn't have to play with sound cards anymore.
Congrats on your delivery! Also, good to know you seem to have finally solved you light switches problems.

Anyway, I am very interested in your comparisons with your other soundcards.
post #411 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
Congrats on your delivery! Also, good to know you seem to have finally solved you light switches problems.

Anyway, I am very interested in your comparisons with your other soundcards.
Yes I'll do a small comparison, at least with ESI Juli@ which is now plugged in. I only have one PCI slot on my motherboard so I'll see if I have energy to go through all the sound cards. Honestly, if this thing works without pops and clicks then I have achieved what I was looking for. Of course SQ matters but I've went through so many sound cards with about zero differences that it all comes to usability at this point. With HiFace I can get reference quality digital output even from laptop if I want to (or Mac). With regular sound card that's impossible.
post #412 of 1712
A couple of questions for hiFace users:
- Do you max out KS buffer size in foobar2000 playback settings
- With the latest drivers, what is the preferred playback bit-depth settings, 24 or 32bit
- Do you see it as an audio device in Vista 64bit, I can only see it in device manager, not in control panel Sound configuration. In foobar2000 Playback selection it's only available as KS: hiface Kernel Streaming, although 1.02 driver supposed to support DS as well, guess it's somehow related to the fact I can't see it as audio card in Windows.

Thanks
post #413 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
A couple of questions for hiFace users:
- Do you max out KS buffer size in foobar2000 playback settings
- With the latest drivers, what is the preferred playback bit-depth settings, 24 or 32bit
- Do you see it as an audio device in Vista 64bit, I can only see it in device manager, not in control panel Sound configuration. In foobar2000 Playback selection it's only available as KS: hiface Kernel Streaming, although 1.02 driver supposed to support DS as well, guess it's somehow related to the fact I can't see it as audio card in Windows.

Thanks
Bit-depth interests me also. I now have 16 bit chosen in the foobar2000.
post #414 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
A couple of questions for hiFace users:
- Do you max out KS buffer size in foobar2000 playback settings
- With the latest drivers, what is the preferred playback bit-depth settings, 24 or 32bit
- Do you see it as an audio device in Vista 64bit, I can only see it in device manager, not in control panel Sound configuration. In foobar2000 Playback selection it's only available as KS: hiface Kernel Streaming, although 1.02 driver supposed to support DS as well, guess it's somehow related to the fact I can't see it as audio card in Windows.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu View Post
Bit-depth interests me also. I now have 16 bit chosen in the foobar2000.
As far as I am concerned, I think it is better to use 24 bits or 32 bits for 2 reasons :

First, from an objective point of view, I have some 24/96 and 24/88 files and I don't want them to be truncated if I set the bit rate at 16 bits.

Second, from a subjective point of view, I find the 24 bit output the most natural when using KS. 32 bits is very very close to 24 bit output to my ears (almost indistinguishable, but each time I did A/B/A comparisons I ended up listening to 24 bits).
Both are much better to my ears than 16 bit output even when playing 16/44 material.
When using asio4all, I don't have the choice, and I have to set the output at 32 bits.

Anyway, if we don't hear the difference it might just mean that it is insignificant and that we shouldn't care that much about it .
In my opinion, there is much more difference between cPlay vs. foobar 0.8.3 vs 0.9.6 than between 24 vs. 32 vs. 16 in the same player.

As for latency, I didn't do much extensive testing with the hiface, but I don't think the KS latency affects its sound. I leave it at 1000ms most of the time.
I noticed a bigger difference in latency settings with asio4all, but it is useless to speak about it since it works only for windows xp.
post #415 of 1712
So, I'm considering moving from the 01USD to the hiFace.
Is it a given that the M2Tech hiFace is better than the Musiland?
Any measurements to compare them?
Anyone tried the M2Tech unit with external supply? The Musiland unit seems to benefit from such an upgrade.
post #416 of 1712
1. Latency does matter and if your system is fast enough, I'd suggest that you use the minimum setting.

2. Using bit higher than 16 would allow the one to bypass the 'dithering' in foobar. Other than that, there is NO sound difference if you are playing 16bit musics. The extra 8 bit is just the extra dynamic range. Refer to 24bit depth myth exploded in Science forum.
post #417 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
So, I'm considering moving from the 01USD to the hiFace.
Is it a given that the M2Tech hiFace is better than the Musiland?
Any measurements to compare them?
Anyone tried the M2Tech unit with external supply? The Musiland unit seems to benefit from such an upgrade.
I would think so, but how much, only your ear can tell. ;-)

There is no PSU with hiface, so you will have to do DIY. I read somewhere who has done such mod including i2s output from PCB. I guess 'googling' can help? :-)

As for measurements, I think there are a few, but take with huge grain of salt.
post #418 of 1712
yes there is a mod detailed on DIYAUDIO which gives the hiface an external supply and taps the i2s. its not a beginners mod though. tapping i2s usually involves soldering some wires to what is most often a tiny board trace. make sure to add some strain relief if you do this and dont use too much heat or you will lift a pad or worse.
post #419 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
1. Latency does matter and if your system is fast enough, I'd suggest that you use the minimum setting.

2. Using bit higher than 16 would allow the one to bypass the 'dithering' in foobar. Other than that, there is NO sound difference if you are playing 16bit musics. The extra 8 bit is just the extra dynamic range. Refer to 24bit depth myth exploded in Science forum.
I am not totally convinced about your second point as some have noticed a difference in setting the output at 24 bits. Even benchmark media stresses on the importance of 24 bit on PC playback.
I am not saying that we necessarily notice a difference between bit depths but DAC chips (or something else in the chain like the media player) may behave differently when fed with 16 vs. 24 bit data (look for example at page 4 of this datasheet).
And also, when playing back at 24 bit there is less risk of damaging the data if any processing is done (i.e if the output is not truly bit perfect).
From my point of view, whether there is an audible difference or not, there is nothing to loose by setting the output at 24 bit. However, when 24 bit files are played with 16 bit output, there is an audible degradation of the sound (distortion).

So, in my opinion, and just to be safe, I would suggest to put the bit output at a minimum of 24bit .
post #420 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
1. Latency does matter and if your system is fast enough, I'd suggest that you use the minimum setting.
Why is it important for playback only, doesn't higher buffer increase stability?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace