or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace - Page 96  

post #1426 of 1712


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeo View Post



Why not trying a dual male BNC connector for your modded HiFace??

COS133.jpg
 

 How good is that connector?

where can you get a good one for a cheap price?

I'm thinking of getting Jkeny's very special USB cable and sell my Oyaide DB-510.
 


Edited by punk_guy182 - 6/3/10 at 8:56am
post #1427 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeo View Post



Why not trying a dual male BNC connector for your modded HiFace??

COS133.jpg
 


The modded hiface is a little bit heavier than the stock one. If I connect it directly on the BNC connector, I might put too much stress on the connectors (I already broke the stock hiface a few weeks ago because of the excessive weight of my digital cable).

I could of course try to put a support, as Pacha suggested, but it is physically impossible to do so in the current configuration of my set-up/audio rack.

post #1428 of 1712

     Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku View Post


This. MWUAHAHAHA

 

RCA RCA


May I ask where you found this coupler? I might actually try that once I get a Hiface.

post #1429 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post




The modded hiface is a little bit heavier than the stock one. If I connect it directly on the BNC connector, I might put too much stress on the connectors (I already broke the stock hiface a few weeks ago because of the excessive weight of my digital cable).

I could of course try to put a support, as Pacha suggested, but it is physically impossible to do so in the current configuration of my set-up/audio rack.

I can actually plug the modded hiface into my DAC without causing any streess at all.

I'm very intesrted in getting a high grade connector. I'll be able to save money and get better SQ.
 

post #1430 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post




The modded hiface is a little bit heavier than the stock one. If I connect it directly on the BNC connector, I might put too much stress on the connectors (I already broke the stock hiface a few weeks ago because of the excessive weight of my digital cable).

I could of course try to put a support, as Pacha suggested, but it is physically impossible to do so in the current configuration of my set-up/audio rack.

I can actually plug the modded hiface into my DAC without causing any streess at all.

I'm very intesrted in getting a high grade connector. I'll be able to save money and get better SQ.
 

post #1431 of 1712

I've just bought online one like the one above, RCA to RCA male, a Real Cable gold plated one for 4€70 excluding shipping.

 

I'll see how it goes and try it when I receive my HiFace back from jkeny's hands.

post #1432 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmine View Post


Hello Upstateguy!

 

I haven't made up my mind yet. I am not ready to let hiFace set me back $150 plus shipping. Too many hands itching to mod it and too many happy post-tweak reports :) I guees I'll want for an asynchronous Teralink-X number 3 ;)


The stock HiFace is a nice little device to have for portable use though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post




The modded hiface is a little bit heavier than the stock one. If I connect it directly on the BNC connector, I might put too much stress on the connectors (I already broke the stock hiface a few weeks ago because of the excessive weight of my digital cable).

I could of course try to put a support, as Pacha suggested, but it is physically impossible to do so in the current configuration of my set-up/audio rack.


Hi Slim

 

Would you think that the people who developed the HiFace device tried it with a long coax and a USB plug, a long USB and a coax plug and a version with 2 cables and the device in the middle and chose the one that sounded the best?

 

What broke on your stock HiFace?  Did it also damage the USB port?
 

USG

 

post #1433 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post


Hi Slim

 

Would you think that the people who developed the HiFace device tried it with a long coax and a USB plug, a long USB and a coax plug and a version with 2 cables and the device in the middle and chose the one that sounded the best?

 

What broke on your stock HiFace?  Did it also damage the USB port?
 

USG

 


Back when I just ordered the hiface, I asked Marco if he recommended a specific digital cable and if he recommended a short or a long cable. He was very open minded about it and he said that it was very system dependant.

I also don't think he tried a long coax vs. a long usb extender. But it might be better to ask him directly. He usually answers pretty quickly.

I think that the only limit he set is something about the maximum usb extender length. I don't remember the exact number though.

 

Concerning the problem I had with my hiface, I set it up poorly and the digital cable was applying too much pressure on the usb connector. After a while, the usb connector got desoldered from the pcb of the hiface. Marco was nice enough and he repaired it pretty quickly. Also, and fortunatelty, the usb port wasn't damaged.


Edited by slim.a - 6/3/10 at 9:47am
post #1434 of 1712

slim.a, what cables did you try along with the Belkin? Did you try the Wireworld ultraviolet also? If it is AM/AF type. I remembered you told me there wasn't much difference between USB cables in the connection of the modded HiFace to the PC.

Does any shorter than 2m would do the trick?

 

 

jkeny and slim, what do you think of this kind of thing with the USB modded cable to provide external 5V :

200001-027_BIG.jpg


Edited by Pacha - 6/3/10 at 12:03pm
post #1435 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacha View Post

slim.a, what cables did you try along with the Belkin? Did you try the Wireworld ultraviolet also? If it is AM/AF type. I remembered you told me there wasn't much difference between USB cables in the connection of the modded HiFace to the PC.

Does any shorter than 2m would do the trick?

 

 

jkeny and slim, what do you think of this kind of thing with the USB modded cable to provide external 5V :

200001-027_BIG.jpg


The only cables I tried on the modified hiface were a regular Belkin usb extender, a Monster usb extender (it cost me €20) and jkeny's modded usb cable. All of them were around 2m. (I didn't try the wireworld ultraviolet since the connectors didn't fit.)

I honestly didn't notice much difference between those cables in my current reference set-up. Maybe if I had spent more time or tried different DACs, I could have picked up differences but with the listening I did, I could hardly tell them apart. It probably indicates that the modded hiface is relatively immune to the quality of the usb extender.

 

I remember that when I tried the Belkin USB extender with the stock hiface, I heard a difference in comparison to direct usb connection. Didn't have different usb extenders to try them out at the time.

 

Concerning the picture you are showing, I might be wrong but I don't think it would work with jkeny's cable, at least not the one he sent me to try.

post #1436 of 1712

Ok thank you, so I think I'll go with any average cable I could find.

 

The thing I gave picture of is a converter to give external 5V to any USB device, but indeed it will not fit with the modded USB cable from jkeny as he is connecting differently regarding power IIRC now, I think you are right.

post #1437 of 1712


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post




The only cables I tried on the modified hiface were a regular Belkin usb extender, a Monster usb extender (it cost me €20) and jkeny's modded usb cable. All of them were around 2m. (I didn't try the wireworld ultraviolet since the connectors didn't fit.)

I honestly didn't notice much difference between those cables in my current reference set-up. Maybe if I had spent more time or tried different DACs, I could have picked up differences but with the listening I did, I could hardly tell them apart. It probably indicates that the modded hiface is relatively immune to the quality of the usb extender.

 

I remember that when I tried the Belkin USB extender with the stock hiface, I heard a difference in comparison to direct usb connection. Didn't have different usb extenders to try them out at the time.

 

Concerning the picture you are showing, I might be wrong but I don't think it would work with jkeny's cable, at least not the one he sent me to try.

Could you post some pictures of Jkeny's very special USB cable?

I'd like to see how it is connected to the hiface, the computer USB port and the power supply.
 

post #1438 of 1712


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a View Post

 

I also don't think he tried a long coax vs. a long usb extender.....

 

 

I think we would both be surprised if Marco didn't try out those two very obvious variations before he settled on the current configuration.

 

USG
 

post #1439 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post


 

 

I think we would both be surprised if Marco didn't try out those two very obvious variations before he settled on the current configuration.

 

USG
 


I just sent him an email to ask him about it. I will report back when I have an answer.

post #1440 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_guy182 View Post


 

Could you post some pictures of Jkeny's very special USB cable?

I'd like to see how it is connected to the hiface, the computer USB port and the power supply.
 


Sorry I have already packed the cable as I am sending it back (along with the Purepiper DAC A-1 that he is going to try).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace