or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace - Page 83  

post #1231 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger945 View Post
You should try the Apogee Wyde Eye next. I think tubaman may still have a 2M for sale in the cables, etc. FS forum(I recently purchased one from him) and IMO for the
price it is very good. Almost as good in my system as the XV2, and hands down better than the BJs 1694A. I am referring to SQ and not build quality.
I second that. I currenlty use the Apogee Wyde Eye (3m) and love it. I was just wondering if it would be worth it upgrading to something like the Oyaide DB150... Still haven't decide yet.
post #1232 of 1712
The Wyde Eye sounds interesting... is it reasonably flexible? I love the sound of my current Legend Supreme cable, but the only thing I don't like about it is how it is very stiff, heavy, and unflexible (due to all the shielding making it overly thick). It's almost like a garden hose! Bit of a pain for me since my source is a netbook and I'm not liking how it weighs down the hiface at the usb contact point (that can't be good for the usb input slot in the long run).
post #1233 of 1712
Yes, the Apogee WE is very flexible, it should fit your bill very nicely, and is not too expensive.
post #1234 of 1712
Yep. The Wyde Eye is very flexible. Much more so than the XV2. The W/E makes me think of a spark plug wire. The XV a lawnmower throttle cable.

Shamu, I have my sights set on the Oyaide next. btw I paid $40 shipped for the Wyde Eye here on the FS forums.
post #1235 of 1712
That is interesting....

I read on another forum that the Apogee Wide Eye is in fact a Canare cable underneath. And the the Belden should be slightly better than the Canare.
post #1236 of 1712

HiFace and DD/DTS passthrough

Anyway,

I have a question on the HiFace.

The only thing keeping me from buying one at the moment, is the option for DD/DTS passtrough. Does anybody here have any experience with DD/DTS passthrough?

I posted this question earlier in the HiFace thread elsewhere on this forum and I got one confirmation but no details. I already mailed Marco from M2Tech and he got word of some people that got it working, but couldn't tell me if this was actually the case. He never tested it.

I have been searching the internet for hours now on this, without result. I want get the modded HiFace from J.Keny. It is quite some money for me, and I don't dare ordering before I found some information about this.

Regards.
post #1237 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBaron View Post
That is interesting....

I read on another forum that the Apogee Wide Eye is in fact a Canare cable underneath. And the the Belden should be slightly better than the Canare.
Interesting. That could be true (or not), but please remember not only the cable matters (shielding, dieletric, structure, etc...), also the quality of the terminations to properly match 75 ohms... In the case of the Wyde Eye, I understand they use a specific mounting procedure for their terminations, not available with the Canare.
post #1238 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu144 View Post
Interesting. That could be true (or not), but please remember not only the cable matters (shielding, dieletric, structure, etc...), also the quality of the terminations to properly match 75 ohms... In the case of the Wyde Eye, I understand they use a specific mounting procedure for their terminations, not available with the Canare.
Achieving 75 Ohm with RCA is almost impossible (due to RCA construction itself). That's why M2Tech offers Hiface with BNC terminal - 75 Ohm with BNC is no problem.
My 2 cents...
post #1239 of 1712
I'd like to pitch in quickly and say that slim.a was spot on about USB cables and the Teralink. I tried a 0.5 Starlight cable with the Teralink-X2 and it made an immediately noticeable difference. In fact, the longer the USB cable I used, the thicker, boomier and darker the sound got.
post #1240 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_19 View Post

If I hear a difference then I do, and I hear it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

This isn't the science forum, lay off the demands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post

K_19 should be able to choose his components and cables based on his subjective listening and his personal preference.

I think all ironmine was alluding to was that it is extremely easy to be mistaken when comparing cables or gear.

What I've been doing lately, when ever I think I hear a difference, is to record the headphone output, with the device or cable under consideration connected. Using Audacity to correct for volume differences, I export them as WAVs (with exactly the same name) and listen to them in foobar.

This is hardly a scientific test but at least it gives me a basis for understanding what I heard.

USG
post #1241 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
I think all ironmine was alluding to was that it is extremely easy to be mistaken when comparing cables or gear.
Yes, I do realize that. As I've stated earlier I am not discounting that this may all be placebo. For the last few days I've done even more cable swapping, with results sounding the same as before to my ears. Power of suggestion perhaps in the works here? Might very well be, no doubt.

Yet, I honestly can't be bothered to run tests or anything... just not worth the time investment on my end! My attitude as of now is that "If it's placebo, then be it". Very lazy on my end, I know, I admit. It's something I may test out one day out of curiousity, but definitely not high on my to-do list as of now (just enjoying my gear for now). For those that do run tests, I fully respect what they are doing, and am always willing to read. It's just that over the years I've learned to keep things simple in this hobby and not stress over the whole hearing vs. science debate. I'm more of the former, but this shouldn't do any harm as long as you stay financially responsible within your budget. When I'm in the mood for it though I do head over to sound science forum sometimes.
post #1242 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_19 View Post
Yes, I do realize that. As I've stated earlier I am not discounting that this may all be placebo. For the last few days I've done even more cable swapping, with results sounding the same as before to my ears. Power of suggestion perhaps in the works here? Might very well be, no doubt.

Yet, I honestly can't be bothered to run tests or anything... just not worth the time investment on my end! My attitude as of now is that "If it's placebo, then be it". Very lazy on my end, I know, I admit. It's something I may test out one day out of curiousity, but definitely not high on my to-do list as of now (just enjoying my gear for now). For those that do run tests, I fully respect what they are doing, and am always willing to read. It's just that over the years I've learned to keep things simple in this hobby and not stress over the whole hearing vs. science debate. I'm more of the former, but this shouldn't do any harm as long as you stay financially responsible within your budget. When I'm in the mood for it though I do head over to sound science forum sometimes.
Hi K_19

I know what you mean. Testing is just plain annoying and my hat is off to those who do it, but what I suggested is not a test, it's just a simple comparison that can be done quickly, easily and privately in the interest of finding the truth.

We all want to know what sounds better, and I think we all, at least secretly, want to know if it really sounds better.

And I agree with you that the whole hearing vs. science debate is very stressful. No one wants to discover that a difference they heard may not really exist.

But in the end, don't we really want to know what's going on?

USG
post #1243 of 1712
Yup, as I've said, it's something I may test out one day for sure.
post #1244 of 1712
slim this is one of the most informative best reviews on usb/spdif converters ive read. it was a fantastic read, i highly enjoyed this one ,, reviews like this is why head fi is so Awsome! thanks man

i also really dig this part too
I have looked at the measurement of many DACs on the stereophile website and some of the most expensive and better sounding DACs seem to have that roll-off on the highs. Weirdly enough most budget DACs and soundcards seem to have a flatter high frequency response. I am not saying that we shouldn’t pursue a flat high frequency response. But I am just saying that when you see a budget DAC that has a flat response for 16/44 data beyond 20 kHz, and if the DAC doesn’t use a fancy DSP, it is most probable that it has sacrificed the phase response for the good looking Frequency response measurements.
again awesome review thanks
post #1245 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
As a owner of m2tech myself with the same configuration, let me just add a few things.

I believe slim.a did a fascinating job of comparing all four converters. I'll just add things that are not shown here.

First, the cons. I don't want to be perceived as a m2tech fanboy (and I am not), so to start the discussion, I'd like to cover the area where it lacks.

a. The lack of driver support for other formats. slim.a did touch them well here. I'd also add that 64bit drivers and mac/linux drivers are still in development (I am testing 64bit driver under Windows 7 now), and they are coming along very well. However, it's still a fact that these drivers aren't readily available yet.

b. Stability: That goes along with #a. The stability of driver is getting better and I can confirm this with my testing results. Yet, it's still in development, and I still do encounter some BSOD and stackoverflow issues with the drivers. Notice that I am testing the beta version, not 1.01 which is available for 32bit windows OS.

As for the cons, I think slim.a did a great job here. I can only add that m2tech makes the improvements in musicality. My DAC is highly resolving and has a great jitter rejection. So, it's not as apparent improvements over my optical input. however, it does make a difference, largely in the area where it's not so easily distinguishable at first. My impression of this device is that it makes the holographic imaging more deeper, the soundstage little more accurate, and bass are slightly tighter and deeper. However, more than anything is the 'less' harsh or more rounded impression of the music.

It's a great device, and far more valuable than some other competitors that cost 8x to 9x more expensive than this.
interesting so m2tec is top of the list in your opinion here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace