or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace - Page 79  

post #1171 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I couldn't agree more about the HD650's being a far cry from a live performance. I listened to them for 3 years thinkings this was as good as it gets with headphones, I am very glad I branched out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
As for the sennheiser hd650, I have tried 5 different aftermarket cables so far (3 pure silver and 2 pure copper) and going silver makes it a lit bit more balanced a lot cleaner and more resolved sounding. And personally, I like having neutral electronics and cables and a slightly colored headphone than the other way around. I tried the AKG K702 (with stock cable) for a brief period in my system and they sounded excellent but they had less overall resolution than my recabled hd-650. Since the system worked very well with the AKG K702 without the need of changing a single component or cable, I feel that my electronics/cables had less colorations than the headphones themselves and were not specifically tuned for the hd-650.
My next can purchase will probably be the Hifiman HE-5 not to improve on the hd-650 but just to get another perspective on the sound.
I have seen a lot of bashing of the hd650 but they are still used by many recording studios. 2L that make excellent high rez recordings use the hd-650 for their editing/mastering along with B&W 801 and Genelec pro monitors (see here: Lindberg Lyd AS .: EDITING). If they were so horrible and unnatural sounding I doubt that those recording studios would use them for mastering/editing purposes.
I don't know if you read the following link (Thoughts on the “Absolute Sound†and Perceived Musical Realism (Part 1) | AVguide) but you will see that different people have different perception of the live event. Even at the stage of the live event we do not focus on the same qualities.
post #1172 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
.
I have seen a lot of bashing of the hd650 but they are still used by many recording studios. 2L that make excellent high rez recordings use the hd-650 for their editing/mastering along with B&W 801 and Genelec pro monitors (see here: Lindberg Lyd AS .: EDITING). If they were so horrible and unnatural sounding I doubt that those recording studios would use them for mastering/editing purposes.
Recording engineers use headphones as a tool, its completely different than what we use headphones for, AKG240's and 271s have dominated the studio recording for years. The good ones also never make their final adjustments based on headphones, they use studio monitor speakers. They train their ears to know what their headphones sound will sound when played on speakers.
post #1173 of 1712
I think the HD650 can sound very natural and transparent with the right setup. I disagree with those who think it's not anything but and urge them to try the Senns with more upscale gear. If you still think otherwise, then I think it's just a difference in how you hear or your preferences, because to me, the HD650 can be pretty close to the real thing at times.
post #1174 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post
I think the HD650 can sound very natural and transparent with the right setup. I disagree with those who think it's not anything but and urge them to try the Senns with more upscale gear. If you still think otherwise, then I think it's just a difference in how you hear or your preferences, because to me, the HD650 can be pretty close to the real thing at times.
By the way Shahrose, it is your review of the hifiman HE-5 (vs. hd650 and hd800) that led me to believe it would be a good complement to the sennheiser hd-650 I am currently using. Once I stabilize my system, the HE-5 will probably be my next purchase, as it will allow me to have another perspective on the sound. I just hope that the stock cable of the HE-5 is good enough and that I wouldn't have to try different aftermarket cables with it...
post #1175 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
I didn't generalize my comments about all audiophiles. I just said that a "drift" from the live event can happen under certain conditions.
Sorry Slim.a, it was not my intention to mis-interpret your words, thank you for clarifying your position. And as Upstateguy mentionned, "live event" is a topic subject to debate on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
I have seen a lot of bashing of the hd650 but they are still used by many recording studios.
My bad, I was not trying to bash the HD650 I have been enjoying a lot and feel they can be very nice and balanced sounding (especially in a proper balanced set up). My point was that they are still heavily colored and by no mean a reference to me as a neutral headphone.
post #1176 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu144 View Post
Sorry Slim.a, it was not my intention to mis-interpret your words, thank you for clarifying your position. And as Upstateguy mentionned, "live event" is a topic subject to debate on its own.
At the contrary, thanks for pointing that out. Since I wrote my post pretty quickly, I understand that it wasn't very clear. Your remark gave me the opportunity to clarify my position.
post #1177 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
I recently saw Yo-Yo Ma at Lincoln center. I was sitting in the middle of the auditorium and I couldn't hear finger squeaks, page turning or any cues from the stage and his cello sounded, for lack of a better word, subdued.
Getting a good seat is important especially with cello, and even then well-placed mics might be better. http://www.soundonsound.com/uploads/...rom%20side.jpg

Don't forget that some frequencies decease more than others with distance, and instruments are right next to the mic (unless they place mics where the audience should be), and headphones are right next to your ears. Of course you're going to hear details that don't exist sitting 15+ feet from the musicians.
post #1178 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I couldn't agree more about the HD650's being a far cry from a live performance. I listened to them for 3 years thinkings this was as good as it gets with headphones, I am very glad I branched out.
Since I got the AD2000's, I find the HD650's usefull only when I want to go to sleep. They are veiled and laidback even with the Cardas cable and put me to sleep quite fast
AD2000 are much more musical and make voices and instruments sound much more natural. They're my favourite dynamic headphone and -according to my preferences- I strongly recommend them over the HD650's. (haven't listened to T1/HD800/PS1000 yet).

@slim.a Did you receive jkeny's modded HiFace yet? Any thoughts?
post #1179 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameis View Post
@slim.a Did you receive jkeny's modded HiFace yet? Any thoughts?
I haven't received jkeny's modded hiface. He is still working on a few more tweaks on it I believe ...
post #1180 of 1712
So how much is jkeny's selling his modded hiface for? I would be interested in one of these babies.
post #1181 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
This might be a good time to discuss the "Live Event."

I've see operas and classical concerts at Lincoln Center, Rock events in stadiums and small venues around town. None of them could compare with a well done recording.

There may be those who think a live event is reference point, but IMHO "the Live Event" just plain sucks compared to a well mic'd and mastered recording. This might be why our non-audiophile friends are so "wowed" when they listen to a good system.

USG
I agree completely. I've gone to concerts where it was repeated over FM radio the next day. Even the FM broadcast from the "recording" mics was better than the live concert.

If PA systems are used, then the sound is crap at a live concert. If it is a concert in a concert hall, then the hall must be a really good one and you must be up-close to get anywhere near the quality of the recording mic feeds.

My preference is always to get the recording of the live performance mixed from the recording mic feeds. This is usually better than any studio recording with compression, equalization and dubbing etc..

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
post #1182 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I couldn't agree more about the HD650's being a far cry from a live performance. I listened to them for 3 years thinkings this was as good as it gets with headphones, I am very glad I branched out.
I am not a fan of the 650's either. I had a set of 600's for a while. I much preferred these, even with stock cords. Better bass and top-end.

The headphones that impressed me the most at a head-fi meet that I attended were the top end Ultrasones. These were very natural. I could live with these.

I recently had some HD800's in the system. They are very good, much better than the 600 or 650, but still not quite as good as the Ultrasones IMO.

None of these sound as live as my ribbons however.

Steve N.
post #1183 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
By the way Shahrose, it is your review of the hifiman HE-5 (vs. hd650 and hd800) that led me to believe it would be a good complement to the sennheiser hd-650 I am currently using. Once I stabilize my system, the HE-5 will probably be my next purchase, as it will allow me to have another perspective on the sound. I just hope that the stock cable of the HE-5 is good enough and that I wouldn't have to try different aftermarket cables with it...
I felt I was veering too far off-topic, but since this is your thread...

The good thing about the HE-5 is that aftermarket cables made little to no difference in sound (according to Currawong). Fang used a very good quality cable as stock so you can save your money and focus on other gear. I would urge you to go for the LE version as it fixes what I felt were the major weaknesses of the HE-5 and looks better to boot.
post #1184 of 1712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post
I felt I was veering too far off-topic, but since this is your thread...

The good thing about the HE-5 is that aftermarket cables made little to no difference in sound (according to Currawong). Fang used a very good quality cable as stock so you can save your money and focus on other gear. I would urge you to go for the LE version as it fixes what I felt were the major weaknesses of the HE-5 and looks better to boot.
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated

And you are right we should probably go back to discussing usb converters

BTW, I have found this article on 6 moons website: 6moons audio reviews: High Resolution Technologies Streamer Pro It seems that HRT has developped some intersting async drivers.
post #1185 of 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
I haven't received jkeny's modded hiface. He is still working on a few more tweaks on it I believe ...
Sent on Friday

Tamahome77, have a look at my web-site https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/ for options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace