Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Denon 3910 SACD/DVD-A player questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon 3910 SACD/DVD-A player questions

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Is this player still considered a decent performer compared to it's newer stable mates ? Keep in mind I have no use for the video side of the unit so I'm solely focusing on 2 channel SACD/DVD-A performance.

EDIT: No one has one of these players ? Not a single comment ? I'll simplify the request...

Peete.
post #2 of 23
Thread Starter 
Oops double post
post #3 of 23
Can't address its "newer stable mates" but I recently added this in front of my Heed CANAMP and AKG K701 and its been outstanding. A noticeable improvement over the Oppo 980 in my system. Sturdy and good ergo design, too. I use it mainly with SACD.
post #4 of 23
The question is cost, how much are would you be paying for it?
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
345USD including Fed Ex ground.

That's promising Carl

Peete.
post #6 of 23
Take it - you're not going to find a better SACD / DVDA player for 345. Assuming it's in good shape, etc.
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenjamin View Post
Take it - you're not going to find a better SACD / DVDA player for 345. Assuming it's in good shape, etc.
That's what I originally thought but I figured I'd ask around here to confirm such a notion.

It's condition when sold (I bought it) was described as "mint, lightly used,fully functional". The pics confirmed it as far as cosmetics are concerned. The seller has all the original accessories,manual,shipping materials,cables,remote control and even double boxed it for me. 35lbs it says via the track number. Hopefully it'll be a good performer for a few years

Peete.
post #8 of 23
In my experience with Denon, the stuff works forever or it dies within the first couple months.

You should be in good shape.
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the moral support tbj

I think your right about Denon build quality = longevity

I just found out (after some reading here and there) the only difference between the 3910 and the flagship 5900 is the power supply being a little less sophisticated in the 3910. I can fix that

Peete.
post #10 of 23
hey guys, this is probably my first post in this part of the forum as I normally have been running computer as source. I run a MAC G5 Dual 2ghz with an RME 9632 feeding AES and BNC via a custom SCSCAg silver breakout cable into a newly built (still casing) Buffalo32.

the RME is modded (power rail caps and looking to possibly tap i2s from it) but i've become interested in buying a denon SACD player, upgrading the power supply and modding it to supply high rez DSD to the buffalo32 and also using it for movies of course. now how much of an improvement will I see do you think?? I mean i'm not looking for percentages or anything like that, but a nudge would be great. I can already realize hires out of the MAC and the convenience of having all my tunes at my finger-tips is great, I wont get rid of this as an option, I will simply use the denon as another input. but is it worth the time/expense??

thanks in advance, looking at a 2900 or 2910
post #11 of 23
The Denon will not output an SACD DSD signal digitally to a DAC via optical or coax. You need to use the analog-outs to your amp directly.

Btw, the 3910 does a DSD-to-PCM conversion by default out of the box. There is a menu choice that changes it to Direct DSD, which sounds better. FYI
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
hey guys, this is probably my first post in this part of the forum as I normally have been running computer as source. I run a MAC G5 Dual 2ghz with an RME 9632 feeding AES and BNC via a custom SCSCAg silver breakout cable into a newly built (still casing) Buffalo32.

the RME is modded (power rail caps and looking to possibly tap i2s from it) but i've become interested in buying a denon SACD player, upgrading the power supply and modding it to supply high rez DSD to the buffalo32 and also using it for movies of course. now how much of an improvement will I see do you think?? I mean i'm not looking for percentages or anything like that, but a nudge would be great. I can already realize hires out of the MAC and the convenience of having all my tunes at my finger-tips is great, I wont get rid of this as an option, I will simply use the denon as another input. but is it worth the time/expense??

thanks in advance, looking at a 2900 or 2910
From the analog outs it's a good jump up in SQ but it's tied to recording quality more or less. The great SACD recordings will sound terrific. Any upgrades to a units PSU is a good idea in my book. The beating heart of the beast is the PSU IMO...improve this and everything down the line reaps the benefit I plan on improving the 3910's PSU sections when it arrives next week among other projects currently on the go. I'm not sure you can tap the unlocked DSD stream from inside the player. I'm taking a guess here but I bet the stream is hardcode locked inside the SACD/DSD processors with the only data link approved for use being the iLink pathway. It looks for a Denon ID string to shake hands before enabling the stream to pass (you'd have to hack the microcode of the DSD chip if that can even be done). That's just a guess since I could not find any relevant info on the net. I wonder if the RS232 port could be used...hmmmmm not that I'd take a crack at that myself. I'm definitely not a skilled hexx/code monkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg View Post
The Denon will not output an SACD DSD signal digitally to a DAC via optical or coax. You need to use the analog-outs to your amp directly.

Btw, the 3910 does a DSD-to-PCM conversion by default out of the box. There is a menu choice that changes it to Direct DSD, which sounds better. FYI
Unfortunately as jpelg rightly points out SACD/DSD is a locked protocol when it's comes to the digital outs (HDMI or SPDIF/TOSLink). The only way to get a pure DSD signal from these players is to use the proprietary iLink output which is only compatible with other Denon products (usually receivers of the same brand as the SACD player). I don't think HDMI 1.1 carries the SACD signal although it is activated (and still locked unless it sees a Denon enable product) via HDMI 1.3. It's a little confusing to say the least but somewhat straight forward.
I need to read up more on this so please don't take the HDMI info as correct as I'm not 100% sure about that.

At any rate it's good to know the 3910 has a menu toggle for DSD pure or DSD to PCM (available only through the 2.0/5.1 analog outs like DVD-A).

Peete.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenjamin View Post
In my experience with Denon, the stuff works forever or it dies within the first couple months.

You should be in good shape.
True. I have a 5900 I bought used for 325 shipped. Owner claims over 800 hrs. Not one hitch. The lowered noise floor is easily detectable over my 2930ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete View Post
Thanks for the moral support tbj

I think your right about Denon build quality = longevity

I just found out (after some reading here and there) the only difference between the 3910 and the flagship 5900 is the power supply being a little less sophisticated in the 3910. I can fix that

Peete.
The 3910 is the economical version off the 5900. The 3910 should have a better upscaler then the 5900. The 3930ci seems to be the best 'overall', which, from what I hear is 90% of the 5910, and has better dacs then the 5900 most likley. Do you need a d link cable? I might have a extra I could send you. Seems to be the generic version, not the 500.00 version. Came with my 5900. Might have another with my 2930ci. These Denon universal players represent such a great value for hi res audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
hey guys, this is probably my first post in this part of the forum as I normally have been running computer as source. I run a MAC G5 Dual 2ghz with an RME 9632 feeding AES and BNC via a custom SCSCAg silver breakout cable into a newly built (still casing) Buffalo32.

the RME is modded (power rail caps and looking to possibly tap i2s from it) but i've become interested in buying a denon SACD player, upgrading the power supply and modding it to supply high rez DSD to the buffalo32 and also using it for movies of course. now how much of an improvement will I see do you think?? I mean i'm not looking for percentages or anything like that, but a nudge would be great. I can already realize hires out of the MAC and the convenience of having all my tunes at my finger-tips is great, I wont get rid of this as an option, I will simply use the denon as another input. but is it worth the time/expense??

thanks in advance, looking at a 2900 or 2910
I'd get the 2930ci instead for under 200. Good step up over the 2900/2910.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
hey guys, this is probably my first post in this part of the forum as I normally have been running computer as source. I run a MAC G5 Dual 2ghz with an RME 9632 feeding AES and BNC via a custom SCSCAg silver breakout cable into a newly built (still casing) Buffalo32.

the RME is modded (power rail caps and looking to possibly tap i2s from it) but i've become interested in buying a denon SACD player, upgrading the power supply and modding it to supply high rez DSD to the buffalo32 and also using it for movies of course. now how much of an improvement will I see do you think?? I mean i'm not looking for percentages or anything like that, but a nudge would be great. I can already realize hires out of the MAC and the convenience of having all my tunes at my finger-tips is great, I wont get rid of this as an option, I will simply use the denon as another input. but is it worth the time/expense??

thanks in advance, looking at a 2900 or 2910
Not sure how much better it will sound with the Buffalo dac. I read that the 2900 and 5900 share the same dac, but the 5900 sounds much better, a reviewer wrote. Probably the PS better analog components.

And Pete all vintage flagship universal player respresent a very high value.. Talking in hi res audio terms...Pioneer/Sony/Denon/ Marantz..... I was suprised how much better HDCD sounded on my 5900 then my 2930ci. Before I though HDCD was more of a gimmick, now I'm a believer. Still shaky on SACD, at least with the 2930ci. I have a Bowie hybrid. The difference IS noticeable, but I guess the marketing got me to believe the differences would be amazing. Sas thing is, can't get my 5900 to play SACD in 2 channel. Maybe it just supports 5 analog out? I won't dis regard SACD based on one SACD and one SACD player.

I might have confused the D link with the i link. Not sure the differences.
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Sorry I mixed up D Link with iLink (which is SONY's name for it). Now to find some internal shots of the 2 players and see what's what

Peete.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Denon 3910 SACD/DVD-A player questions