New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread

post #1 of 475
Thread Starter 
We started to ship our players to preorder customers from last week. Since we do not have much time to find and fix all firmware problems at a time, we hope head-fiers could help us. For those who have received your HM-801 player, please post those bugs you found about HM801 Firmware. We appreciate your help very much.

Unfinished Firmware Work

We will finish the upgrading tool in the next two or four weeks. The tool actually is a software installing to PC to help customers upgrade firmware by themselves. We will email the tool to our customers after finished.

1. Can not support FLAC cue list: We have finished APE CUE list, but FLAC CUE list need to be finished.
Estimated finishing time: Oct 30, 2009 - almost done.

2. Comprehensive SD card testing:
DO NOT USE ANY CLASS 6 SDHC CARD! Class 6 SDHC card might fail the firmware. We are working on this problem now. Class 4 kingston is recommended.

BUG List

1. "Setting manu - now playing" mistake: If you turn off "now playing" manu at "setting- main menu set - now playing" option, you will not see "setting" manu in the main manu, so that you will not be able to change setting any more.

Estimated debug time: Oct 30, 2009: Almost done.

Temporary solution: Do not touch "no playing option at setting - now playing".

2. Flash on board problem: If you load music into Flash on board, you will see those flash on board music files at "main manu- SD Card" as well, so that you can not see those files actually in the SD card.

Estimated debug time: Oct 30, 2009: Almost done.

Temporary solution: Do not load music into flash on board. Use SD card to save music file only.
Reply
post #2 of 475
Dear Fang,

It may not be practical to test all SD cards in the world and no need as well. Just try a few big names (say Kingston) and whether the Class 4 cards is quick enough for the 24/96 files should then be OK.
post #3 of 475
Can the HM-801 update the firmware from the SDHC card? Would be simpler. I don't like installing unnecessary software.

Also, I doubt 24/96 is going to require more than 15mb/s bandwidth.

-Ed
post #4 of 475
24/96 flac files from Linn Records download site played fine from a cat4 Kingston card.

Tags in EAC ripped flac files don't seem to be recognised regardless of how full or empty the sd card is.

Not surprising then that I could not get cue files to work with flac

Unit would white screen and freeze when usb cable was unplug after OS eject on Vista but not on XP.

All of these findings on firmware 0.05
post #5 of 475
either that or make the installer a standalone executable, negating need for additional install on peoples system
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
Can the HM-801 update the firmware from the SDHC card? Would be simpler. I don't like installing unnecessary software.

-Ed
post #6 of 475
From sd card would be good as that would mean it could be used from Mac's and Linux as well without Head-Direct having to develop a Mac/Linux application as well
post #7 of 475
I have found that files with out folders or any "stuff" (like cue, jpg, accurate rip, txt, ect.). Play just fine on my player. Right now, I am loading .flac files w/o folders or any other "stuff" on the card and it is playing just fine.

Could not play 24 bit "jazz side of the moon" from linn records. Did not try just putting the flac files on the player. There may be a cue file somewhere in the folder, or maybe some other file messing the player up.

Rebooting. Is there a reboot button?

Have to say, it's worth the trouble because it sounds great.

Better sound than I expected.
post #8 of 475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxxdoc View Post
I have found that files with out folders or any "stuff" (like cue, jpg, accurate rip, txt, ect.). Play just fine on my player. Right now, I am loading .flac files w/o folders or any other "stuff" on the card and it is playing just fine.

Could not play 24 bit "jazz side of the moon" from linn records. Did not try just putting the flac files on the player. There may be a cue file somewhere in the folder, or maybe some other file messing the player up.

Rebooting. Is there a reboot button?

Have to say, it's worth the trouble because it sounds great.

Better sound than I expected.
What system are you using? Do you use XP or VISTA?
Reply
post #9 of 475
Vista (sucks!)
post #10 of 475
Here's an added feature that is needed.

There is currently no way to tell the charging status when the HM-801 is off. Perhaps the HM-801 could be in a low power state with dimmed display when you hit a button when it's plugged in being charged.

Or have an updated power supply with an indicator LED that (for example) is red when charging then green when done charging.

As it is, you need to unplug and then turn on the HM-801 to tell if it's done charging. For overnight charging it's not a big deal, but charging in the middle of the day is another matter.

-Ed
post #11 of 475
deleted.
post #12 of 475
deleted
post #13 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxxdoc View Post
I have a "locked keyboard" message. Any clue how to unlock?
I really wanted to delete my post as soon as I found out what I did.

I slid the "Hold" button on the side of the unit, and the hold button locked the keyboard.

Well, now my moment of brilliance is locked in the internet forever. Not the first time and not the last.

Anyway, if you get "keyboard locked" it means you slid the hold button to the on position.

User error, not the unit’s error. (I hate being human!).

Still sounds fantastic. Listening to a 24 bit file "Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances" . I love this player and can't say enough about Fangs great service.

Head-Direct and HiFiMaN will get return business from me.
post #14 of 475
Speaking of the "Hold" button, it does not lock the Power Button. You can still turn the HM-801 on even with the Hold button on.
post #15 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxxdoc View Post
I really wanted to delete my post as soon as I found out what I did.

I slid the "Hold" button on the side of the unit, and the hold button locked the keyboard.

Well, now my moment of brilliance is locked in the internet forever. Not the first time and not the last.

Anyway, if you get "keyboard locked" it means you slid the hold button to the on position.

User error, not the unit’s error. (I hate being human!).

Still sounds fantastic. Listening to a 24 bit file "Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances" . I love this player and can't say enough about Fangs great service.

Head-Direct and HiFiMaN will get return business from me.
no biggy, i will just try see if i can delete my own post so you can delete yours too lol

yeah i forgot the physical hold function myself as well
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home