Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread - Page 27

post #391 of 534
Oh thats great, in all likelihood my unit will probably have this then.
Playback resume is useful to me but I never EQ.
I just found a place that sells 24/96 classical music albums and they take Paypal so I will give some of those a go as well.
http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/storefront.php
post #392 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Spectrum.png

 

We talked about removing the output resistors a few weeks ago and I finally did just that last night, and the above is the result of HM801 driving SE530 (very much contrast to the HM801-SE530 RMAA done on anythingbutipod.com). Just show you how limited information can be misleading to a lot of people.

 

ampmod.jpg

 

It is as simple as soldering two wires. Now the output impedance is 0.2ohm.

It's a pity that I don't understand the difference between the measurements.

 

Update: Now I see what you are talking about.

 

By the way, I will probably lay my hands on the SYMM card apm this week, so I'll be able to review it soon.


Edited by HungryDaze - 2/27/13 at 1:38am
post #393 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

 

We talked about removing the output resistors a few weeks ago and I finally did just that last night, and the above is the result of HM801 driving SE530 (very much contrast to the HM801-SE530 RMAA done on anythingbutipod.com). Just show you how limited information can be misleading to a lot of people.

 

 

 

It is as simple as soldering two wires. Now the output impedance is 0.2ohm.

 

Very cool clieos! looks like shorting the output impedance yields noticeable improvement in frequency response

 

do you happen to know the position of output resistor in HM60x series too?

post #394 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 View Post

do you happen to know the position of output resistor in HM60x series too?

 

Don't know. But it shouldn't be too hard to find. You can just trace back from the headphone jack.


Edited by ClieOS - 2/27/13 at 7:07pm
post #395 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

Don't know. But it shouldn't be too hard to find. You can just trace back from the headphone jack.

 

thanks.. i thought you already know

 

so how do you think about its SQ after output resistor mod? any significant improvement?

post #396 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 View Post

 

thanks.. i thought you already know

 

so how do you think about its SQ after output resistor mod? any significant improvement?

 

It really doesn't meant to improve SQ. It makes pairing with multi-driver IEM (with crossover) a possibility without the added coloration, which is what it is meant to do.

post #397 of 534
How about output level? Did the mod increase it?
post #398 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

How about output level? Did the mod increase it?

 

Sure, the headphone should see more power now (of the same position on the pot). However, it doesn't sound like a big jump to the ears.

post #399 of 534
I have a question to make sure I am doing this right.

My 801 should be here next week and in anticipation I have purchased some class 4 SDHC cards, Kingston and San Disc.

I use a Mac and iTunes and all my files are wav ripped from CD.
I just want to check I am doing this right! I create a folder on my desktop and name it with artist and album title. I then drag the album from iTunes into that folder and then drag that folder onto the SD card. Once I have a number of albums on the card I then sort them alphabetically. I have pre formatted the card in disc utility to FAT 32

Am I doing it all right?

Thanks in advance.
post #400 of 534

I think HM801 like to sort its library based on the modification time (the writing time). You might want to drag all the files / folder / sub-folder in one go so the time line remains unchanged for all the files.

post #401 of 534
Oh thanks for that. The smaller cards I did that with but the 32g I have filled over the past day on separate occasions. I can take them off and put them all on again in one go, takes a little while though eh!
post #402 of 534

I think there are software that will rewrite the mod time on SD card without needing to copy/paste them again, but I forget what name it is or whether there is a Mac version or now.

post #403 of 534
I think of the folder sorting like a "new music" sorting. If I add new albums/folders, they show up in the bottom with second newest one step higher. With FLAC files the player uses normal tag sorting: album name and artist name are in alphabetical order. With wav files you don't have that option, however, if I get this right.
post #404 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Sure, the headphone should see more power now (of the same position on the pot). However, it doesn't sound like a big jump to the ears.
How much in dB would you think it increases?
post #405 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post


How much in dB would you think it increases?

 

I don't think I can say a number for sure.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread