Couldn't really a/b it but others think so. I would like to find someone around here with a normal one and pull the chip back and forth and see what the difference is. I like to do quick a/b tests due to audio memory. The board looks better and from what i understand uses better chips. I use the pico a lot but it is a lot easier to just plug in and throw it in my pocket alone. The Pico external definitely sounds better though hands down......it killed the normal amp, i think it is a bit closer with the Game. Hard to answer your question and i like to have a solid answer i can stand by before making a statement out here.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of Hifiman HM models Last post on 7/15/12 at 11:37pm in Portable Source Gear
- HM-801 line output = meridian 588 Last post on 1/11/13 at 9:48pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman HM-801 with GAME Amp + 2 x 32 GB Kingston SDHC Cards + Switch Power Supply Last post on 1/29/12 at 4:12am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Hifiman 801 GAME amp - any reviews? Last post on 9/26/11 at 6:39am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one. But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative...
As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was one thing that I wasn't too thrilled about. No mic or controls. I am a person constantly on the go, so most of my listening...
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread - Page 17post #241 of 53110/23/10 at 6:32pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #242 of 53111/6/10 at 2:01pm
I read most of the threads around the HM-801, RMAA etc. etc.etc. ... and I couldn't resist ... I bought a Clip + 4 GB.
Apart from its horrible packaging (I had to practically rip off the plastic to get at the parts) it looks not so bad ; in German it is called "Kindchenschema" and generally appeals more to woman.
(...the connected USB cable really looks gross on it though ...)
Then I plugged in my T 50 P (David Bowie, 1.Outside, FLAC, same on the Hifiman) ... not nearly loud enough with full volume ... it sounds not bad though ... that typical MP3 player crisp, narrow and bland sound ... (... perhaps it would sound better with a MP3, just joking ...) ... I think I liked my old Sansa e280 still more ... so it depends all on your taste ... for some it's the Sansa sound and for others it's the Hifiman sound ... so what
Nice though that it is able to play FLACs gapless!
Will bring it back tomorrow, not only because of its "sound signature" but also because it would not be able to drive my T 50 P properly.
(Well, I already have a DAP of choice which does and which supports 32 GB cards, is able to play WAV files, has a line out, can act as an USB and Coaxial DAC, has an exchangeable battery, a sophisticated interface (I really like the buttons on the Hifiman, I'm a sucker for shrewd and weird interfaces!!) an exchangeable internal amplifier ... and it looks much more mature (... did I mention that I also like how it sounds ?))
( ... I just discovered that you can use the Up and Down buttons of the Hifiman to ffwd and rwd while a song is playing ... I really like these gimmicks )post #243 of 53111/8/10 at 10:05am
Just some exciting news for the 801 owners: Fang announced over at another forum that two new amp cards are about ready for demo (though it appears to limit to only in China atm). One has balanced output, suitable for RE-ZERO's TRRS connector; the other one has higher output, designed for harder-to-drive full sized to achieve performance similar to using small desktop amp.post #244 of 53111/8/10 at 10:08am
Shooooot. I must get an HM-801!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fang, gives the late guys (the ones who missed the special pricing) here a discount ;D.
That's some good news ClieOS, but I thought that the card with higher output power was the standard card that was eventually replaced with one that would work with IEM's.post #245 of 53111/8/10 at 10:20ampost #246 of 53111/8/10 at 10:34amQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
Just some exciting news for the 801 owners: Fang announced over at another forum that two new amp cards are about ready for demo (though it appears to limit to only in China atm). One has balanced output, suitable for RE-ZERO's TRRS connector; the other one has higher output, designed for harder-to-drive full sized to achieve performance similar to using small desktop amp.
What forum did you read that from?post #247 of 53111/8/10 at 10:36ampost #248 of 53111/9/10 at 5:52am
Any ideas how the balanced connectors can be fixed to the Hifiman HM-801 with the new amp module? My HM-801 don't have any other connector or space to slot another connector. Was planning to order the Game module amp, but with this, will probably hold back. Hopefully the balanced amp module can be as good as the RSA Protector or the Toucan? Cheers, Markpost #249 of 53111/9/10 at 8:30amQuote:Originally Posted by MarkTwain
Any ideas how the balanced connectors can be fixed to the Hifiman HM-801 with the new amp module? My HM-801 don't have any other connector or space to slot another connector. Was planning to order the Game module amp, but with this, will probably hold back. Hopefully the balanced amp module can be as good as the RSA Protector or the Toucan? Cheers, Mark
... perhaps it comes with a new special cover with built-in connector ...post #250 of 53111/9/10 at 8:37ampost #251 of 53111/9/10 at 8:38ampost #252 of 53111/9/10 at 9:39am
Compared to the initially original standard amp I found it to be a great difference.
But I think it depends also on the phones you use etc.
I got the impression the whole sound got somewhat "broader" with a lot more air, more musical (even with the T 50 P, even more with the TMA-1)
But that's only my impressions.
Anyway ... I declared myself collector of Hifman amps ... ...
P.S. Nankai got somewhat contained regarding the HM-801 ... no answers to many questions here ... or I'm wrong? Perhaps the 602 business is too consuming right now ...
Edited by xabu - 11/9/10 at 9:43ampost #253 of 53111/9/10 at 4:34pm
Looks like a good investment then!
Not sure about the new balanced amp module though, as not too keen to re-terminate my cables... again! Have a set of cables terminated for RSA Protector currently.
No complaints about the HM-801 after using for around half a year - loving it everyday. But no harm getting better firmware?
Markpost #254 of 53111/9/10 at 11:53pmQuote:
For sure ...
- Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 35 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 1 minute ago
- › sharing worst experience in audio-gd! Be careful everyone.. 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 4 minutes ago
- › Interest Check - Audiovalve RKV MKII 4 minutes ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 4 minutes ago
- › The NEW ATH-ES700.. 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB400 or else? 5 minutes ago
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe