Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maverick Audio DAC/Amp - Page 52

post #766 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
I think I read somewhere that the Mav uses a Cirrus 24-bit/96 kHz DAC. If this is true will the DAC handle hires downloads?

Has anyone tried anything higher than 16-bit/44 kHz?
Yea, I've used 96KHz 24-Bit FLAC files and it handles them just fine. This is over Coaxial, not USB. You can hear both in the headphones and in the unit a click when it changes frequency.
post #767 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow View Post
bear,

I'm assuming those op-amp impressions were for the headphone amp.

Have you tried any different op-amps for the DAC?

Which do you think would yield the best sound quality?
The question of "best sound quality" has to be answered individually. So I can't recommend you any specific opamp because I don't know your taste... LM4562NA, AD823, probably OPA627 would be a good start though.
Didn't try any different opamps for the line-out because I am only using the tube out for my monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjikiran View Post
What makes the LM4562NA your opamp of choice out of curiosity.
Sonically it's quite identical/similar to the LME49720 (very neutral) but doesn't produce any DC offset in the Mav... that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legis View Post
What DMM do you have? Didn't you say couple of pages back that you got that 120/180mV also with LM4562? So, unless your DMM is not of high quality and very accurate, that variance between measures and different op-amps could resemble your DMM's inadequacy to measure such low voltages?
IIRC I only tested the LME49720 but not the LM4562NA. So far I didn't have any problems with my DMM measuring very low voltages...

regards.
bearmann
post #768 of 2619

OpAmp Options Outcome of our obsessions?

What the "O"? Sorry about that.

I had done a couple searches of opamp posts in this thread and although I see talk from Bearman and Spanky and a few others, I did not see an outcome of what was swapped and what the outcome was.

Can someone (or several) please spend a moment to indicate what you replaced, and what the SQ difference was (Like sample below)?

Maverick Stock Part----------Replaced With----------Outcome
Tube GE JAN 5670---------------WE 396A---------------Greater FQ Ext, Darker background, less shrill

Perhaps it can become a sticky if found valuable.
post #769 of 2619
I'll join in. Perhaps we should get a user count to see how many people have performed the mod/swap and agree with the outcome.

Maverick Stock Part----------Replaced With----------Outcome
Tube GE JAN 5670---------------WE 396A---------------Greater FQ Ext, Darker background, less shrill
HP Opamp LF353N---------------LM4562----------------Far less shrill highs, slightly more and detailed bass with less DC offset [1]
post #770 of 2619

Just order 3 OpAmps in the spirit of "research"

[QUOTE=_Spanky_;6338558]I'll join in. Perhaps we should get a user count to see how many people have performed the mod/swap and agree with the outcome.


Just order LM4562NA, OPA627BP, and AD823AN from DigiKey.

After reviewing all of them, I will add my 2 cents to the list as well (and thank-you Bearman and Spanky who provided the insights into the OpAmps so far).
post #771 of 2619
I was thinking of trying this tube in the D1 but it can only be purchased in pair. Anyone else interested in one tube?
2 2C51 TUBE LM ERICSSON SWEDEN 396A D RING ATOP 6386 ? - eBay (item 310182715944 end time Feb-15-10 15:08:13 PST)
post #772 of 2619
What would be a good place to order LM4562NA opamp? I am interested in checking it out. ( Might actually already have one on my Prelude stock I could gank since I don't use the analog outs)

Is it that much better than the stock opamp?
post #773 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjikiran View Post
What would be a good place to order LM4562NA opamp? I am interested in checking it out. ( Might actually already have one on my Prelude stock I could gank since I don't use the analog outs)

Is it that much better than the stock opamp?
inside the D1 the dac is using the same chip as the headphone amp.

so you might want to change that as well.

farnell is a good place to source for these.
post #774 of 2619
I am running XP on my netbook to the Mav via USB.

How do I check the Bit rate that I am working with. This is all new to me and I am ready to start to figure this number stuff out. Then I will look into the opamps you all speak of.

Scott
post #775 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post
I'll join in. Perhaps we should get a user count to see how many people have performed the mod/swap and agree with the outcome.

Maverick Stock Part----------Replaced With----------Outcome
Tube GE JAN 5670---------------WE 396A---------------Greater FQ Ext, Darker background, less shrill
HP Opamp LF353N---------------LM4562----------------Far less shrill highs, slightly more and detailed bass with less DC offset [1]
Can you explain "Darker Background" a bit more?
post #776 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcluded View Post
inside the D1 the dac is using the same chip as the headphone amp.

so you might want to change that as well.

farnell is a good place to source for these.
Explain a little, I don't understand the chip you are talking about. You mean multiple opamps?

Edit:

Looking at a naked image of the maverick I think I see two swappable opamps. Not sure though, this isn't my specialty.
post #777 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjikiran View Post
Explain a little, I don't understand the chip you are talking about. You mean multiple opamps?

Edit:

Looking at a naked image of the maverick I think I see two swappable opamps. Not sure though, this isn't my specialty.
the swappable opamp closest to the tube , is the dac opamp.
the other one is the headphone opamp.
both are using the same , LF353
post #778 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcluded View Post
the swappable opamp closest to the tube , is the dac opamp.
the other one is the headphone opamp.
both are using the same , LF353
And both are swappable I assume. Using the same for both I assume is preferable.

@Djnagle

I'll take a stab and say based off the head-fi definition of dark (Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.)

Since people complained about the highs, I assume a dark background means they are less sharp and ear piercing.


Edit: This post is full of so many assumptions. I think I should copyright the damn word.
post #779 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
Can you explain "Darker Background" a bit more?
I was just adding onto the list. I haven't rolled the tube and I don't think I will just because the speakers it's feeding are $26 Logitech's. I only use them when I'm tired of my headphones or I when I want ambient noise. For quality, I stick with my headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjikiran View Post
And both are swappable I assume. Using the same for both I assume is preferable.
I wouldn't say so, while the opamps are doing relatively the same thing, they're going to different components. A DAC may operate better with one kind of opamp while that same opamp would suck in the HP. I realize the Zero and Maverick don't share a similar circuit design but in the Zero, using a LM4562 in both the DAC and HP opamp's made it very bright. The LT1364 and LM4562 were a "perfect" combo that many people enjoyed. It seems the LT1364 is pretty good with DAC's. I could try 2x LM4562 but I have no real desire to keep swapping them as I'm happy with the sound the way it is. I'm going to let some time pass and some money collect up then I'll think about the gain mod and adding the HDAM's which should be an interesting feat. I will totally start a new thread for the FRANKENMAV!
post #780 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Spanky_ View Post
I was just adding onto the list. I haven't rolled the tube and I don't think I will just because the speakers it's feeding are $26 Logitech's. I only use them when I'm tired of my headphones or I when I want ambient noise. For quality, I stick with my headphones


I wouldn't say so, while the opamps are doing relatively the same thing, they're going to different components. A DAC may operate better with one kind of opamp while that same opamp would suck in the HP. I realize the Zero and Maverick don't share a similar circuit design but in the Zero, using a LM4562 in both the DAC and HP opamp's made it very bright. The LT1364 and LM4562 were a "perfect" combo that many people enjoyed. It seems the LT1364 is pretty good with DAC's. I could try 2x LM4562 but I have no real desire to keep swapping them as I'm happy with the sound the way it is. I'm going to let some time pass and some money collect up then I'll think about the gain mod and adding the HDAM's which should be an interesting feat. I will totally start a new thread for the FRANKENMAV!
Go for it I wanna know the results Now I understand that second opamp you mentioned.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Maverick Audio DAC/Amp