thanks, I'll just listen out to see if the D1 sounds different over time.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/14/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 8/19/11
- productFiiO E5 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 7/19/10
- brandMaverick Audiotagged by System, 6/14/10
- productMaverick Audio TubeMagic A1tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMaverick Audio TubeMagic D1tagged by System, 6/20/12
- productMaverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DACtagged by System, 6/20/12
- productXiang Sheng DAC-01Atagged by System, 6/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone amplifiers to go with headphones? Last post on 9/25/10 at 12:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 or D1 for my setup ? Last post on 8/27/10 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread Last post on 11/7/14 at 12:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread Last post on 11/11/14 at 10:49pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Last post on 9/15/11 at 2:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Intro After briefly owning and eventually selling the Audio Technica ATH - M50, there were quite a few things that I still desired in a closed headphone. I wanted something more comfortable...
Greetings everyone. I'm perhaps the newest member of the Vali admiration society. I ordered mine directly from Schiit on a Friday and received it on Saturday ( How is that for service?) I'm...
Me: I am a 21 year old Engineering student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and...
I tried the v-moda m100 a few months ago when I purchased it and deciding between them and the hd 650. In the end I kept the 650, these headphones are without a doubt pretty overpriced for the...
- Headphone Impedance
Maverick Audio DAC/Amp - Page 155
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Just got my D1 today in the mail.
Worked fine for a wile, but then, weird.. At first my D1 just stopped working, as there was no audio from either tube or regular output.
Then I decided to switch the opamps of the output with the headphone one, and it worked again.
Some how the non-headphone opamp just stopped working. If I max volume, I can hear a bit of static with music. It's very slight.
I didn't touch anything!!
Edited by sizzlincok - 5/6/11 at 8:53pm
I ordered the LT1364CN8#PBF and LM4562NA/NOPB opamps last night to try swapping them into the D1. Very excited to try them out as it'll be my first time doing opamp changes haha! Sooo now can somebody tell me where each of these opamps go?
Hopefully I'll get my D1 soon. That B-Dawk20 got his in only a week is comforting, if that holds true I'll get mine tomorrow. But I haven't got the 'shipped' e-mail yet, so...
I do have two questions.
Do I need to buy an adapter to use as riser in the DAC opamp socket to use the brown dogs I have? Doesn't seem to be much space there.
Now I have to find that one spot in this little thread, here it is;
I currently using JW WE396A, previously using Windmill getter Raytheon.
Raytheon to me is smooth, airy high, but lack weight in mid/mid bass and bass extension. (take note I have a heavily mod D1, with LM4562 in both stage and tube out is feed to the hp amp of d1, driving apsv3 cabled HD600)
WE 396a, has better weight in all spectrum plus better headstage and separation. Only thing I am not happy is it doesn't sound as airy/high extension (may be this is what pp refer to has dark), but I still breaking in the WE. To me, the winner is sure WE.
My fully moded D1. Sound totally diff comp to stock. Achieving what I want: balance btw dynamic and smooth sounding, airy high, weighty mid,midbass and very reasonable bass extension, fantastic separation and sound stage.
hey i wonder if anyone has a first hand experience about the performance of WE396A tube on mav d1?
i'm using the stock tube-amp with OPA627 and i liked the harmony between a forward sounding op-amp and a laid-back tube.
i'm tried raytheon tube also but it is too harsh to my liking. Am thinking of an upgrade to WE396A but i don't really understand the 'darker background' description of the sound of WE396A. Is it also the similar laid-back sound?
This is another post where Mav explains how to do the tube out to hpa in (couldn't get the quote thingy to do multiple quotes, I haven't figured that out yet as I'm not a big poster, my sense of humor gets me in trouble!) I'm bolding it to so you know where my ramblings leave off and the quote starts.
"my latest version is to solder connection from tube out socket to a female PC fan connector and plug to HP amp in. You can see it in my photo on top of page 94.
The easiest way of doing it without voiding your warranty will be solder a RCA connector to female pc fan connector wire to feed the tube out to internal HP amp. But this way you have to leave the case off. Last time when I did that the volume is too hot (first version high gain D1 I have).
Run a connection from tube out to line in won't do it cos we can't select coax/opt/usb input along with line in right? I you want to do it this way you will have to cut the internal line in wire and solder it to female pc connector and plug to hp amp in which is what I did initially. I eventually discard this routing cos the line in have coupling cap feed to HP amp input coupling cap again. Just too many coupling stage and it degrade the sound quality too much. Besides, the external connection pick up AC noise if too close to power cord.
how did you do that? internal circuit modification or just connecting a cable from the back to the front line-in jack?"
The biga$$ed bold is mine in the first quote. I realize that this mod you will lose the tube out RCA's, at least I think I realize that. But this mod did not make it to the condensed thread and after this little discussion between Mavwong and uelover, I never heard this again. Did it not pan out, hopefully one of the two will chip in, cause I may just want to do something similar.
Enough with the questions, hope someone can help.
You can find a review/comparison here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/80-maverick-tubemagic-d1
Is your device working again?
Ooo. Thanks for the link.
I swapped the opamp from the headphone socket to the main output socket and it works.
So I have it in there at the moment, while the other opamp seems fried.
I messaged Ryan, and he's sending me another opamp for the fried one! :)
Oh, also, I can't seem to clarify the rate that the D1 accepts.
It seems that the USB only accepts 16bit/48khz.
However, a review on here at headfi says that over optical/coax spdif it accepts higher? Such as 24/96?
Yes? No? Maybe so?
Edited by sizzlincok - 5/9/11 at 1:44pm
That big modification never made it into the condensed FAQ because instructions and details were never provided. I was really hoping to see how that was done but I never heard back from that person.
I sent an email to Ryan asking for any information about the upgraded D2 version and this was his reply
"We don't have a confirmed release date. The original release date has been pushed back as we want to make more changes in the design. It might be ready within next 2-3 months, it might need more time.
Please do let me know if you have any further question.
Too bad it's being delayed but it's very good that they're taking the time now to make changes and keep customers happy
Also, I have a Gamma Y1 lite usb DAC that I'm not using anymore since I got the D1. After reading reviews that the USB dac of the Maverick isn't all that great, do you think I might be better off using the Gamma into the analog input of the Maverick and then using the Maverick as an amp/preamp?
I'm gonna give this a try in a few days once I finish exams and can just use the input switch of the D1 to toggle between the Gamma and Maverick's own USB input.
16/48 it is for the D1...
Thanks Spanky, I understand.
Now on to the other question, will a brown dog adapter fit in the DAC opamp socket or do I need to order one or more sockets/adapters to stack so as to raise the brown dog adapted opamps enough to use. I'd like to go ahead and order them if I need them so I can go ahead and roll my opamps.
- Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 31 seconds ago
- › How to Manually Create Playlists for the X5 43 seconds ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 44 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Should I sell my E12A and get something different? (Odac>Fidelio X2) 3 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)