thanks, I'll just listen out to see if the D1 sounds different over time.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphone amplifiers to go with headphones? Last post on 9/25/10 at 12:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio Tubemagic A1 or D1 for my setup ? Last post on 8/27/10 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread Last post on 7/10/12 at 10:11am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread Last post on 6/1/13 at 6:53am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Last post on 9/15/11 at 2:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
Okay..well this is my first review..if you may call it so..hence any,,amatuerish mistakes be forgiven..here we go.. So i saved some money(i'm always short of it) for the Vsonic gr02 be..after...
I used to be sure that I am not a basshead. My favorite IEMs for the longest time were RE-0, my favorite headphones were (and still are) various variations of ATH "sweet treble" sound signature,...
It's exactly what it says it is. I've tried some pretty incredibly expensive DAPs - Honestly, in my opinion, a lot of them just add colouration, or EQ, or look pretty. Some of them do perform...
Jazz sounds real good on these. Classic music sounds pretty clear, like when the violin is playing and stuff. Vocals sound pretty good. 80's sound vibrant. dubstep/hardstyle, sounds...
- Headphone Impedance
Maverick Audio DAC/Amp - Page 155
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Just got my D1 today in the mail.
Worked fine for a wile, but then, weird.. At first my D1 just stopped working, as there was no audio from either tube or regular output.
Then I decided to switch the opamps of the output with the headphone one, and it worked again.
Some how the non-headphone opamp just stopped working. If I max volume, I can hear a bit of static with music. It's very slight.
I didn't touch anything!!
Edited by sizzlincok - 5/6/11 at 8:53pm
I ordered the LT1364CN8#PBF and LM4562NA/NOPB opamps last night to try swapping them into the D1. Very excited to try them out as it'll be my first time doing opamp changes haha! Sooo now can somebody tell me where each of these opamps go?
Hopefully I'll get my D1 soon. That B-Dawk20 got his in only a week is comforting, if that holds true I'll get mine tomorrow. But I haven't got the 'shipped' e-mail yet, so...
I do have two questions.
Do I need to buy an adapter to use as riser in the DAC opamp socket to use the brown dogs I have? Doesn't seem to be much space there.
Now I have to find that one spot in this little thread, here it is;
I currently using JW WE396A, previously using Windmill getter Raytheon.
Raytheon to me is smooth, airy high, but lack weight in mid/mid bass and bass extension. (take note I have a heavily mod D1, with LM4562 in both stage and tube out is feed to the hp amp of d1, driving apsv3 cabled HD600)
WE 396a, has better weight in all spectrum plus better headstage and separation. Only thing I am not happy is it doesn't sound as airy/high extension (may be this is what pp refer to has dark), but I still breaking in the WE. To me, the winner is sure WE.
My fully moded D1. Sound totally diff comp to stock. Achieving what I want: balance btw dynamic and smooth sounding, airy high, weighty mid,midbass and very reasonable bass extension, fantastic separation and sound stage.
hey i wonder if anyone has a first hand experience about the performance of WE396A tube on mav d1?
i'm using the stock tube-amp with OPA627 and i liked the harmony between a forward sounding op-amp and a laid-back tube.
i'm tried raytheon tube also but it is too harsh to my liking. Am thinking of an upgrade to WE396A but i don't really understand the 'darker background' description of the sound of WE396A. Is it also the similar laid-back sound?
This is another post where Mav explains how to do the tube out to hpa in (couldn't get the quote thingy to do multiple quotes, I haven't figured that out yet as I'm not a big poster, my sense of humor gets me in trouble!) I'm bolding it to so you know where my ramblings leave off and the quote starts.
"my latest version is to solder connection from tube out socket to a female PC fan connector and plug to HP amp in. You can see it in my photo on top of page 94.
The easiest way of doing it without voiding your warranty will be solder a RCA connector to female pc fan connector wire to feed the tube out to internal HP amp. But this way you have to leave the case off. Last time when I did that the volume is too hot (first version high gain D1 I have).
Run a connection from tube out to line in won't do it cos we can't select coax/opt/usb input along with line in right? I you want to do it this way you will have to cut the internal line in wire and solder it to female pc connector and plug to hp amp in which is what I did initially. I eventually discard this routing cos the line in have coupling cap feed to HP amp input coupling cap again. Just too many coupling stage and it degrade the sound quality too much. Besides, the external connection pick up AC noise if too close to power cord.
how did you do that? internal circuit modification or just connecting a cable from the back to the front line-in jack?"
The biga$$ed bold is mine in the first quote. I realize that this mod you will lose the tube out RCA's, at least I think I realize that. But this mod did not make it to the condensed thread and after this little discussion between Mavwong and uelover, I never heard this again. Did it not pan out, hopefully one of the two will chip in, cause I may just want to do something similar.
Enough with the questions, hope someone can help.
You can find a review/comparison here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/80-maverick-tubemagic-d1
Is your device working again?
Ooo. Thanks for the link.
I swapped the opamp from the headphone socket to the main output socket and it works.
So I have it in there at the moment, while the other opamp seems fried.
I messaged Ryan, and he's sending me another opamp for the fried one! :)
Oh, also, I can't seem to clarify the rate that the D1 accepts.
It seems that the USB only accepts 16bit/48khz.
However, a review on here at headfi says that over optical/coax spdif it accepts higher? Such as 24/96?
Yes? No? Maybe so?
Edited by sizzlincok - 5/9/11 at 1:44pm
That big modification never made it into the condensed FAQ because instructions and details were never provided. I was really hoping to see how that was done but I never heard back from that person.
I sent an email to Ryan asking for any information about the upgraded D2 version and this was his reply
"We don't have a confirmed release date. The original release date has been pushed back as we want to make more changes in the design. It might be ready within next 2-3 months, it might need more time.
Please do let me know if you have any further question.
Too bad it's being delayed but it's very good that they're taking the time now to make changes and keep customers happy
Also, I have a Gamma Y1 lite usb DAC that I'm not using anymore since I got the D1. After reading reviews that the USB dac of the Maverick isn't all that great, do you think I might be better off using the Gamma into the analog input of the Maverick and then using the Maverick as an amp/preamp?
I'm gonna give this a try in a few days once I finish exams and can just use the input switch of the D1 to toggle between the Gamma and Maverick's own USB input.
16/48 it is for the D1...
Thanks Spanky, I understand.
Now on to the other question, will a brown dog adapter fit in the DAC opamp socket or do I need to order one or more sockets/adapters to stack so as to raise the brown dog adapted opamps enough to use. I'd like to go ahead and order them if I need them so I can go ahead and roll my opamps.
- Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
- › Just saying hi 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-FXD80 vs. MEElectronics A161P 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for the office 2 minutes ago
- › Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe 3 minutes ago
- › PLEASE HELP ME!! 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) please post your impressions.... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 4 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › iBasso DX100 Reference DAP by Poetic
- › Razer Tiamat 7.1 by helmutssss
- › Sony Xperia S Black by TheBrutux168
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe