Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maverick Audio DAC/Amp - Page 154

post #2296 of 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmtl1 View Post

 first, do i use the usb, s/pdif, optical or toslink to connect the maverick d1 to my laptop?? any advice?


 

Use toslink connection. I ran it that way when I had my D1.

 

The USB implementation on D1 is quite bad.

 

Coaxial > Toslink > USB for D1

post #2297 of 2586

You should also get op amps instead of a tube. Doesn't sound like you'll be using that part.

It dosent sound like i will be using the tube? Is that what you meant B-Dawk? I was excited about the tube. Im a complete noob to this so when you say i should get op amps.. what does that mean in beginner te

m

s

 

?

 


the editing is giving me a hard time, my sentence was what does that mean in begginer terms? And for uelover, what does coaxial >toslink > usb for d1 mean in beginner terms? i dont even know what a goddamn toslink or coaxial thing is.. sorry i feel bad asking, any advice??

post #2298 of 2586

so im reading a bit and you would say i need to use the toslink optical cable in the optical output is that it? if yes, what is the best toslink optical cable i can get??


 

post #2299 of 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmtl1 View Post

so im reading a bit and you would say i need to use the toslink optical cable in the optical output is that it? if yes, what is the best toslink optical cable i can get??


 

It is toslink cable to transfer data from your mac to D1 so it is optical input, not output. You ain't outputting anything to anywhere. The best toslink cable will cost you 5 times the price of D1. Just get any cheap toslink cable.

 

If you plug HD650 into the headphone jack at the front of D1, you won't be getting the tube sound because the signal does not flow through the tube. Upgrading the tube is useless.

 

Please read: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread# and don't ask the questions that many other people had already asked and tried to answer for you.

 

 

post #2300 of 2586

Agreed. Just get a decent toslink or a coaxial with proper shielding, should be around $15-20 unless they're snakeoiling you.

post #2301 of 2586

I had a brief power outage at my house earlier, and my computer was on at the time. Now, whenever I use the USB audio input on the maverick I get popping and clicking sounds. I have tried multiple usb inputs and different cables and I still get the issue. My usb mouse and keyboard still work fine. could the power outage have messed up my usb ports? my pc was plugged into a surge protector. I don't think the problem lies with the Maverick because all of the other inputs work fine.

post #2302 of 2586

If you plug HD650 into the headphone jack at the front of D1, you won't be getting the tube sound because the signal does not flow through the tube. Upgrading the tube is useless

 

Where do i need to plug the headphones then if i wanna use the tube?

post #2303 of 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmtl1 View Post

If you plug HD650 into the headphone jack at the front of D1, you won't be getting the tube sound because the signal does not flow through the tube. Upgrading the tube is useless

 

Where do i need to plug the headphones then if i wanna use the tube?


 

You can't really....you would need to use the D1 as a preamp to some other source.

 

I think if you had a CD player with an aux input you could go computer -> D1 tube preamp -> CD player.

 

Also about the Toslink thing, I would of recommended it but I don't know if a macbook pro has an optical out. My PC doesn't have one nor does my cheap ass sound card so I'm stuck with USB.

 

Besides, is the USB really that bad? I mean, it's just data right? The only thing I know it doesn't do is perfect 24bit audio but hardly any of my files are 24 bit lossless.

 

 

Edit: Oh and I know you said that you read the thread but just incase you missed it or didn't understand, NEVER use a pair of RCA to 3.5mm cables to connect headphones to the tube pre-out. They'll get fried(the cans that is).


Edited by B-Dawk20 - 4/29/11 at 7:44am
post #2304 of 2586

Got my Maverick today!!! Sounds pretty good and an improvement over my old sound card. I can't wait till I get some opamps though.

post #2305 of 2586

Not having much HP amp experience but will the D1 be an improvement SQ wise over the HP amp in my Onkyo 886? I am ready to order the D1 but thought I would ask this question first. Any thoughts on the improvements for HP listening the D1 has over HP outputs on AVRs as well. Thanks!

 

Bill

post #2306 of 2586

alright thanks man, im just so confused right now but ill make it! BTW, mbp 2011 have optical out yes. So, if i get the D1, i cant use the tube because i need another source in between my headphones and the d1 is that right? And if i dont have that other source in between, can i still use the d1 as a dac/amp anyways??

post #2307 of 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmtl1 View Post

If you plug HD650 into the headphone jack at the front of D1, you won't be getting the tube sound because the signal does not flow through the tube. Upgrading the tube is useless

 

Where do i need to plug the headphones then if i wanna use the tube?



You'd need another headphone amp, and just use the D1 as a DAC with a tube pre-out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Not having much HP amp experience but will the D1 be an improvement SQ wise over the HP amp in my Onkyo 886? I am ready to order the D1 but thought I would ask this question first. Any thoughts on the improvements for HP listening the D1 has over HP outputs on AVRs as well. Thanks!

 

Bill


Only if the Onkyo has a really bad headphone amp stage. Otherwise it wont be much of a difference.

 

 

Has anyone here been able to make the OPA627 work on the D1 with no high dc offset?

 


Edited by Riverback - 4/29/11 at 8:32pm
post #2308 of 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverback View Post

You'd need another headphone amp, and just use the D1 as a DAC with a tube pre-out.


Alright, so if i get this for my laptop http://www.m-audio.fr/products/fr_fr/ProFire610.html , will i be able to use the d1's tube or theres is no point of getting the m-audio and the d1?

 

 



 

post #2309 of 2586

Hey guys, just a quick question. Do amps need burn in?

post #2310 of 2586
A quick answer: yes smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Maverick Audio DAC/Amp