New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

car-fi - Page 66

post #976 of 1112

I didn't buy one yet! lol If you mean just pics of 944s in general, then I will look around for some pics on my lunch break. 

post #977 of 1112
I'd personally avoid an aging 4-cyl Porsche, unless you can afford the maintenance, which will be a lot higher than most will imagine. Maybe look into an older Boxster or Cayman?
post #978 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I'd personally avoid an aging 4-cyl Porsche, unless you can afford the maintenance, which will be a lot higher than most will imagine. Maybe look into an older Boxster or Cayman?

 

Well, I do own an E39 M5 which is a maintenance monster in terms of cost. I also own an older Audi which parts are impossible to find for (so I just make them) and have several other cars to drive. Whenever maintenance on anything is required, I've always got something else to drive and can do all of the work myself from rebuilding engines, to fabricating parts, etc. I agree though that for most, it isn't a great idea :) Google search pulled up these images for those who asked. My internet while I'm working in Saudi Arabia is horrid, so forgive me for not posting them properly... it wont even load the picture button on the post page for me or allow me to make paragraphs which is why this is all one big disgusting slop of words. These are two pretty good representations of what they look like in basically stock form. http://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=PDTSv_LxbflwgM&tbnid=J8d5zNh59HFzAM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Feliteautoreport.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2F1987_porsche_944_turbo_s.jpg&ei=TV9vUeCEMoiPtQa93oCIDg&psig=AFQjCNE_J2ycbv0oBAgurJ07BiPe1Gu8Ew&ust=1366339789857956 http://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=PDTSv_LxbflwgM&tbnid=J8d5zNh59HFzAM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Feliteautoreport.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2F1987_porsche_944_turbo_s.jpg&ei=TV9vUeCEMoiPtQa93oCIDg&psig=AFQjCNE_J2ycbv0oBAgurJ07BiPe1Gu8Ew&ust=1366339789857956 I may just put the money back into my major project car though. It's killing me not to be able to drive it, but these things take time!
Edited by loxxrider - 4/17/13 at 7:54pm
post #979 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

Well, I do own an E39 M5 which is a maintenance monster in terms of cost. I also own an older Audi which parts are impossible to find for (so I just make them) and have several other cars to drive. Whenever maintenance on anything is required, I've always got something else to drive and can do all of the work myself from rebuilding engines, to fabricating parts, etc. I agree though that for most, it isn't a great idea :)Google search pulled up these images for those who asked. My internet while I'm working in Saudi Arabia is horrid, so forgive me for not posting them properly... it wont even load the picture button on the post page for me or allow me to make paragraphs which is why this is all one big disgusting slop of words. These are two pretty good representations of what they look like in basically stock form. http://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=PDTSv_LxbflwgM&tbnid=J8d5zNh59HFzAM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Feliteautoreport.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2F1987_porsche_944_turbo_s.jpg&ei=TV9vUeCEMoiPtQa93oCIDg&psig=AFQjCNE_J2ycbv0oBAgurJ07BiPe1Gu8Ew&ust=1366339789857956http://www.google.com.sa/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=PDTSv_LxbflwgM&tbnid=J8d5zNh59HFzAM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Feliteautoreport.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2F1987_porsche_944_turbo_s.jpg&ei=TV9vUeCEMoiPtQa93oCIDg&psig=AFQjCNE_J2ycbv0oBAgurJ07BiPe1Gu8Ew&ust=1366339789857956I may just put the money back into my major project car though. It's killing me not to be able to drive it, but these things take time!

I have an E28 M5 (an `88) as one of my daily drivers and I wouldn't trade it for anything twice its value, I love that car.



However, it does need more TLC than a newer vehicle. And you can't just ride it hard and put it away, at least not very often, or it will come back to haunt you. They can last forever, you just have to keep up with maintenance, which is always higher with a classic car.

Another issue to bring up with the 944 Turbo is lag, quite a bit of it. Here's an idea, how about a 928 or an older Carrera? I've noticed the prices on those have dropped through the floor and you wouldn't have any "aging turbo" issues. The 928 is a very nice ride and quite unique.
post #980 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

I have an E28 M5 (an `88) as one of my daily drivers and I wouldn't trade it for anything twice its value, I love that car.



However, it does need more TLC than a newer vehicle. And you can't just ride it hard and put it away, at least not very often, or it will come back to haunt you. They can last forever, you just have to keep up with maintenance, which is always higher with a classic car.

Another issue to bring up with the 944 Turbo is lag, quite a bit of it. Here's an idea, how about a 928 or an older Carrera? I've noticed the prices on those have dropped through the floor and you wouldn't have any "aging turbo" issues. The 928 is a very nice ride and quite unique.

Awesome e28. I love me some bmws. I also own an e34 (non-M) and e36. A good friend of mine also owns a turbocharged e30 which makes around 380hp to the rear tires which is pretty fun. It keeps up with my m5 very well when it spools up.

I'm no stranger to lag. My audi has a 76mm turbo on it good for about 1200 hp and doesn't spool until 5k rpm. It is being built to rev to 11k though wink.gif I have driven a 951 and didn't find the lag to be so terrible. It's all relative of course. I have my M5 for insta - torque.

I do love 928's but I'm partially interested in this to get better fuel economy on my commute. I don't think the 928 will best anything I have other than the M5. I have always liked them though. I do like working with turbo cars as I've got plenty of extra parts laying around (even extra turbos). Anyway, I think the 944 is a little bit better of a track weapon too. Any opinion there? I really haven't looked into prices on older Carreras. How old are we talking?
Edited by loxxrider - 4/18/13 at 7:18am
post #981 of 1112


Current DD (Java black pearl paint is coming up next) Lots of suspension mods done and looking to do an EJ257 (USDM STI swap) eventually.

 

 

 


Photos were all taken by a great local photographer friend! Enjoy!


Edited by Randall DZM - 4/19/13 at 10:16am
post #982 of 1112
I saw the 458 and mp4-12c and the 458 looks way nicer.
post #983 of 1112
I agree, but the 458 is more of a maintenance headache (more delicate suspension and secondary systems), has comparatively awful fuel economy, and attracts cops like flies. Is gorgeous, though (as a coupe, don't care for the spider as much).
post #984 of 1112
Performance wise maybe a different story. But yesterday at the car show the 458, to me looked a lot smother and nicer. It looked way more exotic. The mp4-12c looks more lifted and not at exotic. Performance is a differerent story.
post #985 of 1112
In terms of performance, they're actually very close, in their own ways. The 458 is more fun to drive on an open road, or even on the track, it's more alive and exciting. The 12c is very controlled, you have to turn off TC, ESC, and engage Track to really get it to misbehave, and even then it still keeps on some ESC functions if things get hairy. With the 458, you turn off TC and you're on your own. Hell, even with it on you get the feeling it can and will bite you. McLaren tried to build the ultimate sports car, while Ferrari was building the best supercar. Each is awesome in its own way, and I'd rather drive the 12C around town (it's not much different than a small Merc S-class), but there's nothing like the 458 on a twisty road in the middle of nowhere.

All things being equal, and taking value into consideration, the best is the Carrera S (w/ MT). Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it's the best all-around sports car on the road today. As a DD, for the track, and when you're just up to no good.
post #986 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

In terms of performance, they're actually very close, in their own ways. The 458 is more fun to drive on an open road, or even on the track, it's more alive and exciting. The 12c is very controlled, you have to turn off TC, ESC, and engage Track to really get it to misbehave, and even then it still keeps on some ESC functions if things get hairy. With the 458, you turn off TC and you're on your own. Hell, even with it on you get the feeling it can and will bite you. McLaren tried to build the ultimate sports car, while Ferrari was building the best supercar. Each is awesome in its own way, and I'd rather drive the 12C around town (it's not much different than a small Merc S-class), but there's nothing like the 458 on a twisty road in the middle of nowhere.

All things being equal, and taking value into consideration, the best is the Carrera S (w/ MT). Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it's the best all-around sports car on the road today. As a DD, for the track, and when you're just up to no good.

Yeah it's probably true! I wish I could drive all these cars. But didn't you only buy the mclaren over the 458 because of the service you got? You're not going to drive an exotic in the city most of the time though so I think the 458 would still be better all around...are you referring to the 997 carrera s?
post #987 of 1112
I tried ordering a spider but they ignored me, so I went to McLaren. I did end up getting a 458, but I bought a pre-owned coupe. It's not awful to drive around town, but it is less "civilized" in slow traffic. It wants to lurch forward, so you have to keep an eye on the car in front, so you don't end up under his rear bumper. The carbon ceramic brakes aren't very good for stop and go traffic either, they feel numb and hard until they warm up, and turning at slow speeds isn't as comfortable or easy as it should be. Like I said, the McLaren is a luxury coupe, very smooth and easy at any speed, with the best ride this side of a Maybach. The Ferrari is more fun on a country road and the track, however (and prettier). But if I had to use it every day in the city as a DD, I'd go postal.

The 991 Carrera S was the one I was talking about, it's stunning. What a great car.
Edited by Magick Man - 4/21/13 at 9:20pm
post #988 of 1112
I will second all of the comments about the 458. Very accurate description. I would argue that the c6 vette is the best value as a sports car, but that is , only as a sports car/track car. As a dd... Yuck.
post #989 of 1112

Formula Hybrid. A student run competition, we built a lot of the car from the ground up. Carbon Monocoque, Carbon wheels, Carbon Steering wheel with display, paddle shifting. Hybrid power train putting out around 80 hp, with a maximum possible output of 170hp. Chassis is 460 pounds wet.



http://imgur.com/a/ozqfB

post #990 of 1112

What school? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home