New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

car-fi - Page 44

post #646 of 1112
Welp, it was just a connector loose. I don't know why I didn't have a look myself, I mean I don't really know much I expected it to be something else. I guess technically the car still hasn't had anything wrong with it. Going strong Hyundai smily_headphones1.gif
post #647 of 1112
Bumpage for the new family member, (991) 2012 Carrera S.

post #648 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Bumpage for the new family member, (991) 2012 Carrera S.

Hey living the good life!!!!!! Wow such a beauty... Too bad Porsche changed the steering to electric. Man buying Stax high-ends, Porsches... Living the Car-Fi/Head-Fi dream!! Once I graduate from Uni, maybe I'll get just as paid!
post #649 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

Hey living the good life!!!!!! Wow such a beauty... Too bad Porsche changed the steering to electric. Man buying Stax high-ends, Porsches... Living the Car-Fi/Head-Fi dream!! Once I graduate from Uni, maybe I'll get just as paid!

The steering is actually better now, as is the handling. The handling is improved in large part due to the change in engine position, they moved it up about 2". That's not a lot, but it does mean that over half of the block (54%) is now in front of the rear axle instead of behind it. Which means it's technically now an RMR configuration, but they just haven't bothered to say anything about it. This is probably to keep the Porsche snobs purists from panicking. The steering is better because you still get the same quality of feedback, but now it's properly integrated with the stability control system (PSM). That means less oversteer and better compensation for body roll. The purists have complained, though they haven't actually driven the 991 to try it for themselves, but science proves that it works.
post #650 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


The steering is actually better now, as is the handling. The handling is improved in large part due to the change in engine position, they moved it up about 2". That's not a lot, but it does mean that over half of the block (54%) is now in front of the rear axle instead of behind it. Which means it's technically now an RMR configuration, but they just haven't bothered to say anything about it. This is probably to keep the Porsche snobs purists from panicking. The steering is better because you still get the same quality of feedback, but now it's properly integrated with the stability control system (PSM). That means less oversteer and better compensation for body roll. The purists have complained, though they haven't actually driven the 991 to try it for themselves, but science proves that it works.

 

Actually Porsche did mention this in a press release and it's a change I've been long awaiting never being a fan of the RR concept.  They also stretched the wheelbase allowing for the block to be pushed forward while the overhangs were trimmed.  The Cayman is still the truer sports car platform but the 911 gets the power and goodies.  Porsche has been committed to having a Grand Touring car w/ rear seats as it's flagship.  They'll never allow a Boxster coupe to surpass its icon.

 

I've heard very positive things about the E-steering in the new Porsches as well as the FRS/BRZ too. 

post #651 of 1112
If you put it that way, I suppose thr new electric steering is better than old-fashioned electro-powered hydraulic. But 911s always impressed me because of both their technical capabilities and practical uses. Also the price is very attractive as well, even though people question 911 buyers for not buying a GTR. But if it was me with that much money, I would get a White 911 with white rims/red brakes.. I couldn't be happier if I had one
post #652 of 1112
The new is always the better right......?

I am a fan if the 911. If I could get one I would get the Porsche 911 GT2 RS a used one of course. They cost 200k but their 0-60 time is 2.9 seconds. That is bugattii veyron times.
post #653 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post

The new is always the better right......?
I am a fan if the 911. If I could get one I would get the Porsche 911 GT2 RS a used one of course. They cost 200k but their 0-60 time is 2.9 seconds. That is bugattii veyron times.

No, you are mistaken.  The GT2 RS is 3.4 sec.  You are thinking of the 911 turbo S.  It is impossible to get below 3.0 secs w/o AWD, launch control and a dual clutch or sequential gearbox in a car > 2,700 lbs. You would need to manipulate the space/time continuum.

 

Many people actually prefer the feel of the older air cooled 911s that got down to 2,400lbs.  Nothing can replace reduced mass.


Edited by Anaxilus - 9/1/12 at 9:42am
post #654 of 1112
Anyone know about all-season performance tires? I don't need them this year, but I'm estimating next year I need a new set of 4. I was thinking the Bridgedstone potenza re970AS pole position, based on good reviews. I also heard that Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus is good as well. Opinions?
post #655 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

Anyone know about all-season performance tires? I don't need them this year, but I'm estimating next year I need a new set of 4. I was thinking the Bridgedstone potenza re970AS pole position, based on good reviews. I also heard that Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus is good as well. Opinions?

 

As a Californian, I'm an R compund, Ultra summer type guy but this should help.  Click on the 'survey' and 'test' tabs for information about any comparisons.  Excellent resource.

 

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE970AS+Pole+Position

 

If it rains or snows too heavy I'd rather just swap on another set of skinny wheels and tires just for bad weather.

post #656 of 1112
Yeah tirerack is where I got the info from. I want Summers and separate winters, but that is just too much effort and money.. I guess I get best of both worlds with a High Performance All Season. However, Vancouver doesn't snow that much and I have a Subaru. I'm just worried about my school because it's located on top of a mountain and snows a lot there.
post #657 of 1112

Don't go extra wide then or just keep that in mind.  The wider the contact patch the less psi you have per corner.  So the wider the rubber you put down for summer w/ that added grip will become more of an impediment during bad weather reducing traction.

post #658 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Don't go extra wide then or just keep that in mind.  The wider the contact patch the less psi you have per corner.  So the wider the rubber you put down for summer w/ that added grip will become more of an impediment during bad weather reducing traction.

215 is good enough? I would think something like 235+ to be too wide
post #659 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post


215 is good enough? I would think something like 235+ to be too wide

 

If that's the OE spec, should be fine.  I think my 05 Legacy is spec'd at 215.  Best to compare the actual tread width of the OE tire and size w/ the replacement.  Section widths can yield varying tread widths depending on the manufacturer.  Better to just get a measure from the specs tab.

post #660 of 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

If that's the OE spec, should be fine.  I think my 05 Legacy is spec'd at 215.  Best to compare the actual tread width of the OE tire and size w/ the replacement.  Section widths can yield varying tread widths depending on the manufacturer.  Better to just get a measure from the specs tab.

Yep, my '00 LGT is 215. Anything is better than my rubbish toyos I have right now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home