New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

car-fi - Page 70

post #1036 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazBro123 View Post

lol cool. Your M5 is really loud (Can tell from the videos)! And yeahh, it was really scary, like a lion roaring.

It does sound kind of loud in the videos, but it is actually really quiet when cruising around and at idle. It only gets loud when you step on it. In fact, my father is constantly telling me that it should be louder (he likes a nice lumpy idle). I really love the way it can be a two-faced monster though. It is pretty luxurious, smooth, and refined when you want it to be, and then when you take a corner hard or get on the throttle, it turns into an animal. There is nothing better to drive on a daily basis if you want a sedan! 

 

I'm still on the lookout for a daily driver (it doesn't have to be super reliable as I have other options to drive). I have been looking for the right E28 or E24 BMW and I almost bought a nice Audi 4000 over the weekend, but it just wasn't in the cards despite the great price. Porsche 944 is heavily on the radar too. I will report back when I run across the right deal in the next few months :) There are a lot of great cars out there which can be bought and then sold a few years later for a profit or at least without taking a loss which is pretty awesome. 

post #1037 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

I'd talk about it, but I have no knowledge of that car at all let alone experience with it. I would imagine it could be scary. I got a scare from my M5 today driving in the rain with the traction control off. It was brought on intentionally, but I got a little more sideways than expected in second and then third gears redface.gif

The 12C is the least scary supercar I've ever driven. With the safety systems on it's nearly impossible to wreck, unless that's what you're trying to do (or you're asleep). IMO, it's a little too watered down, you have to turn off those systems and drive like a fool to be in any real danger. Not to say it isn't brilliant, it is, but sometimes you can't tell if you're actually driving the car.
post #1038 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

It does sound kind of loud in the videos, but it is actually really quiet when cruising around and at idle. It only gets loud when you step on it. In fact, my father is constantly telling me that it should be louder (he likes a nice lumpy idle). I really love the way it can be a two-faced monster though. It is pretty luxurious, smooth, and refined when you want it to be, and then when you take a corner hard or get on the throttle, it turns into an animal. There is nothing better to drive on a daily basis if you want a sedan! 

 

I'm still on the lookout for a daily driver (it doesn't have to be super reliable as I have other options to drive). I have been looking for the right E28 or E24 BMW and I almost bought a nice Audi 4000 over the weekend, but it just wasn't in the cards despite the great price. Porsche 944 is heavily on the radar too. I will report back when I run across the right deal in the next few months :) There are a lot of great cars out there which can be bought and then sold a few years later for a profit or at least without taking a loss which is pretty awesome. 

Yeah exactly! Even I don't know much about tuning cars, maybe you should upgrade the mufflers of your M5 to make the engine note louder on the outside. My dad drives a Jaguar XFR, which is plenty fast and seems loud on the inside, but it really is not too loud on the outside when accelerating. That's probably a similar case with your M5. As well, I love the Porsche 944 (which was back in the 1980s, right?). Very sleek looking, especially when considering when it was in production! The Audio 4000 is nice too, but I'd take the 944 in a heartbeat.

post #1039 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazBro123 View Post

Yeah exactly! Even I don't know much about tuning cars, maybe you should upgrade the mufflers of your M5 to make the engine note louder on the outside. My dad drives a Jaguar XFR, which is plenty fast and seems loud on the inside, but it really is not too loud on the outside when accelerating. That's probably a similar case with your M5. As well, I love the Porsche 944 (which was back in the 1980s, right?). Very sleek looking, especially when considering when it was in production! The Audio 4000 is nice too, but I'd take the 944 in a heartbeat.

Whats funny is it is actually kind of the opposite. It is quite vocal from the outside if you listen to it ride by, but on the inside it is very pleasant because there is no drone or anything. It is just the engine's nature to get loud under load and stay relatively quiet otherwise. I've noticed the same with my E36 (inline 6) even with the mufflers and resonators removed (temporarily). It was very loud on load, but otherwise actually very quiet. 

 

The M5 doesn't have any mufflers by the way. Just cats and resonators :)

 

The beauty of the 944 is the handling. They are insanely good to drive. Such neutral handling, you just point the nose in the right direction and it goes. It is no wonder they have dominated track days for so long... kinda like a more expensive version of a miata in terms of handling ability and fun factor at the track. 

 

The Audi is just because I have a history with Audis (my current project is a 1000+ hp awd Audi sedan) and lots of friends who own them. There was one for sale for very cheap ($2500) at a show I went to over the weekend and it was a very clean, solid daily driver. It would have made a nice little commuter, but a 944 turbo would make for a much better one!

 

So now I have a question for you. You are 16 right? So do you have your own car yet? What is it and what do you really want to own in the future? My first car was a Nissan sentra SE-R. It was a great car, but kind of embarrassing since noone understood why they were cool (they came with an SR20de and a limited slip diff which was awesome!). Then I got a VW jetta with 1.8t that I put a bigger turbo on. Now I've moved onto bigger and better things, but it has been fun so I'm just curious to hear what you are enthusiastic about :)

post #1040 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

Whats funny is it is actually kind of the opposite. It is quite vocal from the outside if you listen to it ride by, but on the inside it is very pleasant because there is no drone or anything. It is just the engine's nature to get loud under load and stay relatively quiet otherwise. I've noticed the same with my E36 (inline 6) even with the mufflers and resonators removed (temporarily). It was very loud on load, but otherwise actually very quiet. 

 

The M5 doesn't have any mufflers by the way. Just cats and resonators :)

 

The beauty of the 944 is the handling. They are insanely good to drive. Such neutral handling, you just point the nose in the right direction and it goes. It is no wonder they have dominated track days for so long... kinda like a more expensive version of a miata in terms of handling ability and fun factor at the track. 

 

The Audi is just because I have a history with Audis (my current project is a 1000+ hp awd Audi sedan) and lots of friends who own them. There was one for sale for very cheap ($2500) at a show I went to over the weekend and it was a very clean, solid daily driver. It would have made a nice little commuter, but a 944 turbo would make for a much better one!

 

So now I have a question for you. You are 16 right? So do you have your own car yet? What is it and what do you really want to own in the future? My first car was a Nissan sentra SE-R. It was a great car, but kind of embarrassing since noone understood why they were cool (they came with an SR20de and a limited slip diff which was awesome!). Then I got a VW jetta with 1.8t that I put a bigger turbo on. Now I've moved onto bigger and better things, but it has been fun so I'm just curious to hear what you are enthusiastic about :)

I don't have a car yet. I'm actually on my last theory lesson in driving school to get my learner's permit! I want something simple, efficient, and not too fast. Later in the years, when I have more driving experience, I'll get faster and more luxurious cars (depends what I can afford haha!), specifically European cars. I have been a car fan since I was a little kid, and have research about it for years. My dad is really the one who got me into cars, but now I probably know more than him about them wink.gif

post #1041 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

The 12C is the least scary supercar I've ever driven. With the safety systems on it's nearly impossible to wreck, unless that's what you're trying to do (or you're asleep). IMO, it's a little too watered down, you have to turn off those systems and drive like a fool to be in any real danger. Not to say it isn't brilliant, it is, but sometimes you can't tell if you're actually driving the car.

Like a gtr?
post #1042 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post

Like a gtr?

Only the GTR has a ride that's so hard it'll break your back.
post #1043 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post

Only the GTR has a ride that's so hard it'll break your back.

Really? What about a lotus Elise?
post #1044 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post

Really? What about a lotus Elise?

I've never driven an Elise, but I imagine it's pretty stiff too.
post #1045 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


I've never driven an Elise, but I imagine it's pretty stiff too.

I've been in a Lotus Elise, and it is very stiff. 

post #1046 of 1117

Hi guys. I just want to get a new Ford Fusion Hybrid. Looks sexy and saves gas. 

post #1047 of 1117
Sorry, I can't link sexy and hybrid together, that's too much of a stretch for me. Even the Porsche 918 is a bit of a pig @1700kg.
post #1048 of 1117

Agreed. I also don't like to link hybrid and environmentally friendly together. Ever seen what it takes to manufacture and dispose of all those batteries? 

post #1049 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxrider View Post

Agreed. I also don't like to link hybrid and environmentally friendly together. Ever seen what it takes to manufacture and dispose of all those batteries? 

This, absolutely! It's a smokescreen to make consumers feel they're being more environmentally conscious. Want a car that has a smaller "carbon footprint" and saves money at the pump? Buy a diesel.

KERS technology looks great, but it'll take years for that to filter down to regular consumer models.
post #1050 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man View Post


This, absolutely! It's a smokescreen to make consumers feel they're being more environmentally conscious. Want a car that has a smaller "carbon footprint" and saves money at the pump? Buy a diesel.

KERS technology looks great, but it'll take years for that to filter down to regular consumer models.

 

Yea, I don't know much about cars. Interesting you say diesel. On of my clients just switched his vehicles to support diesel. He's also not liking the "green" mentality of the bay area. Sure the batteries are a problem, but oil has much more detrimental global environmental and political implications. And I hear they are working on a fast charging and biodegradable graphene supercapacitor which may one day replace batteries as we know it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home