Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface - Page 13

post #181 of 1947
I can attest to this. DS works out fine as a default sound card.

However, DS support is only limited to 32bit OS right now. 64bit OS needs special signature, and their beta drivers do not have yet.

I am sure it'll be signed with proper signature and etc when it gets released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
I asked Marco yesterday at m2tech to send me the beta pre-release drivers to try on my system and after a short try yesterday night, it seems that they are working fine with the added support of DS drivers.

First, with KS, the 1.02 drivers seem to have solve an annoying visual bug specific with foobar 0.8.3 where the time tracker was always stuck at the beginning of the song.

As for the DS drivers, they worked fine on my Windows XP Media Center (32bits). I tried playing music and videos with VLC, Windows Media Player and the Windows Media Center interface and it worked fine.

While the DS drivers are not as good as KS, it is still the best sound I got using Windows Media Player.

It also works with youtube.
post #182 of 1947
1.02 driver is officially released.
post #183 of 1947

Can the M2Tech also do AC3 & DTS passthrough?

I am looking for one that does this for a friend. He wants the closest to audiophile quality that also can work with Media Center (and variants) for movies, USB type. The only good choice I currently see is the M-Audio Transit USB. M2Tech does not even mention HT audio but then again, who knows...

For myself (audio only), the M2tech HiFace is most appealing and the Musiland 01 USD is intriguing (perhaps with tweaks). The basic HRT Streamer could also be in the run if I decide not to pursue 24/192...but it really would need to be superior in sound (at this price point, of course).

Any pointers will be appreciated.
post #184 of 1947
hiface also has a waiting line . ordered on the 11th

Hello David,

sorry for the delay: we presently are scheduled for November 20th, but we're working to shorten this lead time. This delay is not our will, as you can imagine: it's the suppliers who are heaviliy backordered due to the crisis stop and the following reprise of the market...

Marco

O_o
post #185 of 1947
So with the new 1.02 drivers I can listen to music with foobar and if I want, pause/stop the music and check a random youtube video (with sounds) in between? Or do I have to do some configurations in control panel to enable sounds in youtube?

Ease of use is something I'm also looking for.
post #186 of 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu View Post
So with the new 1.02 drivers I can listen to music with foobar and if I want, pause/stop the music and check a random youtube video (with sounds) in between? Or do I have to do some configurations in control panel to enable sounds in youtube?

Ease of use is something I'm also looking for.
Yes, with the 1.02 drivers, you can do that.
You just have to set (once and for all) the m2tech as your main soundcard in the audio control panel. Then it works as any other sound card.
post #187 of 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a View Post
Yes, with the 1.02 drivers, you can do that.
You just have to set (once and for all) the m2tech as your main soundcard in the audio control panel. Then it works as any other sound card.
I guess it's finally time to order one. Of course I'm late now when there's so many orders in line before me.
post #188 of 1947
The HiFace is on its way to my me, but in the mean time I'm wondering what could be the best way to connect it to my stereo. I can think of at least 2 different approach.

Option 1: the "classic" method, plug it into an USB port on my computer, then connect to external DAC with a long (3-4 m) digital interconnect.

Option 2: plug the RCA output of the HiFace directly into the RCA input of my DAC. In this case, there is no digital interconnect (only an RCA-RCA connector), but I would need to use an USB extension cable between computer and HiFace.

Any idea if option 2 has any benefit? I'm not an expert, but I would expect that sound would be better without a digital interconnect cable. And I could save some money, too.

I'm aware of the issue with too long USB extension cables not being able to transfer 192kHz data.
post #189 of 1947
I have no clue what you are referring to with option 2.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dszabi View Post
The HiFace is on its way to my me, but in the mean time I'm wondering what could be the best way to connect it to my stereo. I can think of at least 2 different approach.

Option 1: the "classic" method, plug it into an USB port on my computer, then connect to external DAC with a long (3-4 m) digital interconnect.

Option 2: plug the RCA output of the HiFace directly into the RCA input of my DAC. In this case, there is no digital interconnect (only an RCA-RCA connector), but I would need to use an USB extension cable between computer and HiFace.

Any idea if option 2 has any benefit? I'm not an expert, but I would expect that sound would be better without a digital interconnect cable. And I could save some money, too.

I'm aware of the issue with too long USB extension cables not being able to transfer 192kHz data.
post #190 of 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dszabi View Post
Option 2: plug the RCA output of the HiFace directly into the RCA input of my DAC. In this case, there is no digital interconnect (only an RCA-RCA connector), but I would need to use an USB extension cable between computer and HiFace.
I suspect this would not work well: your RCA-RCA connector still have to comply to 75ohm rule. You would most probably have a lot of strong reflections/dropouts. Beter solution would be:

Option 3: disassemble hiFace, change male A USB connector for female B and incorporate it into your DAC, solder SPDIF out directly to SPDIF inside your dac.
post #191 of 1947
This is what I mean (see picture): no interconnect cable, only a male-to-male connector between HiFace output and DAC input.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
I have no clue what you are referring to with option 2.
post #192 of 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dszabi View Post
This is what I mean (see picture): no interconnect cable, only a male-to-male connector between HiFace output and DAC input.

There is no true 75ohm rca connector. You are probably better off using BNC to BNC and use the 75ohm cable throughout for maximum performance. With that said, are you going to plug this thing right next to hiface and your DAC? :-)

If not, you'd need the USB extension cable, and I think that basically negates any positives that this plug provides. Get the Hiface with BNC output. I think that's the best option for you.
post #193 of 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dszabi View Post
The HiFace is on its way to my me, but in the mean time I'm wondering what could be the best way to connect it to my stereo. I can think of at least 2 different approach.

Option 1: the "classic" method, plug it into an USB port on my computer, then connect to external DAC with a long (3-4 m) digital interconnect.

Option 2: plug the RCA output of the HiFace directly into the RCA input of my DAC. In this case, there is no digital interconnect (only an RCA-RCA connector), but I would need to use an USB extension cable between computer and HiFace.

Any idea if option 2 has any benefit? I'm not an expert, but I would expect that sound would be better without a digital interconnect cable. And I could save some money, too.

I'm aware of the issue with too long USB extension cables not being able to transfer 192kHz data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
There is no true 75ohm rca connector. You are probably better off using BNC to BNC and use the 75ohm cable throughout for maximum performance. With that said, are you going to plug this thing right next to hiface and your DAC? :-)

If not, you'd need the USB extension cable, and I think that basically negates any positives that this plug provides. Get the Hiface with BNC output. I think that's the best option for you.
I agree with tosehee, one of the benefits of this unit is that you get rid of the usb cable.
However, if you use an extension cable (of unknown quality) and you use an rca to rca connector which is not a true 75 ohm, the results might be unpredictable ... but it shouldn't stop you from trying
Also, if you are looking for an affordable digital cable, Blue Jeans Cable make some nice affordable cables here.
post #194 of 1947
BTW, I was told that OSX driver is compiled and only USB communication protocol needs to be implemented. Should be ready for testing in 1 or 2 business days. I will report with more findings once I get the beta driver to test out.
post #195 of 1947
Well I finally ordered one to try out. I hope this solves the dropout problems I've been having with internal sound cards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface