or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek - Page 8

post #106 of 445
How does bit perfect playback work with this card, since it lacks "Audio creation mode"?
post #107 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohms View Post
How does bit perfect playback work with this card, since it lacks "Audio creation mode"?
As I mentioned earlier, bit-perfect output requires no adjustments at the driver level.

Unlike the hardware-based X-Fi cards, there is never a hardware DSP for the audio to go through.
post #108 of 445
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito73 View Post
Well, your post timing couldn't be better ... as I was just about to source some opamps for a test. I have readily avaliable LM4562 from AudioTrak, but I can source usual suspects OPA627AU or AD797BR. I don't want to experiment too much (as it would probably from the economical point of view reach the costs of the actual card itself) ... so according to your tests any guidance what's the most "suitable" high end opamp for this card is much appreciated.

Yeah, correct. I wonder do I need to touch this opamp at all. I mean, I can upgrade front l/r and sub channel ... that's what I'm using atm, apart from headphone amp.
You might be hard pressed to find differences between the LME49720NA and the LME4562NA as according to the manufactuers they are the same opamp. That being said, I have heard some people suggest they hear differences may have to do with binning. I tested variations on both the opamps your asking about. THe AD797 sounds nice in the headphone circuit.
So does the 627AU...and many others as it is a really good headphones section.

I built a special adapter for myself and some freinds to split the center and sub channel on soudncards so I could use a different opamp for each channel.

Based on my testing, the card sound great stock. That being said,you can always use you favorite opamps to push the card further. Auzentech used generic opamps for the multichannel outputs to keep cost down IMO. They figure your going to change out the opamps anyway.
The LME49720NA, is not a generic opamps though and is quite good in it's own right.
post #109 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, bit-perfect output requires no adjustments at the driver level.

Unlike the hardware-based X-Fi cards, there is never a hardware DSP for the audio to go through.
The Xonar U1 doesn't have a DSP either, and only supports 48k, so the driver will always resample everything to 48k (even with KS, WASAPI), lots of other cards do this as well, even though they should be able to automatically choose the right sampling rate (eg Xonar STX, has to be set manually)
post #110 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohms View Post
The Xonar U1 doesn't have a DSP either, and only supports 48k, so the driver will always resample everything to 48k (even with KS, WASAPI), lots of other cards do this as well, even though they should be able to automatically choose the right sampling rate (eg Xonar STX, has to be set manually)
Well, I can assure you that WASAPI is really bit-perfect with this card. Over digital, I confirmed that 44.1kHz, HDCD, 48kHz and 96kHz signals get passed automatically.
post #111 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
Well, I can assure you that WASAPI is really bit-perfect with this card. Over digital, I confirmed that HDCD, 48kHz and 96kHz signals get passed automatically.
Awesome! This really is a contender to the ST/STX then
post #112 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, bit-perfect output requires no adjustments at the driver level.

Unlike the hardware-based X-Fi cards, there is never a hardware DSP for the audio to go through.
KS/ASIO/WASAPI will bypass the windows mixer, but the X-Fi audio creation/bit-matched mode only seems to work over ASIO(there's no automatically bit-matched mode on the Xonar at all, so it ain't so bad!): X-Fi & Bit-matched playback - Digit-Life Forum

and X-Fi for Music Lovers: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 in Detail (page 5) - X-bit labs
Quote:
All sounds reproduced through Windows will be converted to the basic sampling frequency you select in the Settings window. Automatic switching of the frequency is implemented only for ASIO.
if anyone could confirm that KS also changes the sample rate automatically in the X-Fi drivers, I'd prolly order the card...FWIW the Envy24 based cards and the Musiland Monitor serie are fully bit-matched over DS/KS/ASIO/WASAPI excl.

PS: ok so much for WASAPI, but I need KS
post #113 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
THe AD797 sounds nice in the headphone circuit.
So does the 627AU...and many others as it is a really good headphones section.
Excellent. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
I built a special adapter for myself and some freinds to split the center and sub channel on soudncards so I could use a different opamp for each channel.
Interesting ... well that's the thing. I'm sending everything < 85Hz via ASIO cut off filters to the sub channel (my active Audioengine sub), so that I can properly calibrate the system and blend everything together nicely with my front speakers. Some people told me that I shouldn't bother with sub channel opamp as I wouldn't hear a difference ... but I was always keen to try it out. Maybe it's best that I follow my own instincts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
Auzentech used generic opamps for the multichannel outputs to keep cost down IMO. They figure your going to change out the opamps anyway.
Nothing wrong with that tbh. Switching opamps is all about personal hifi comfort zone, so why enforce something ... but hats off to headphone section . It's really nicely done with no-so-generic opamp. Let alone the pointing ground power supply.
post #114 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by oohms View Post
Awesome! This really is a contender to the ST/STX then
ASIO4ALL has also worked perfectly for me in foobar2000.

For further clarification, just as Auzentech states in its spec sheets, digital output is limited to a max output of 96kHz/24-bit while the headphone output goes to 192kHz/24-bit.
post #115 of 445
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito73 View Post
Excellent. Thx.

Interesting ... well that's the thing. I'm sending everything < 85Hz via ASIO cut off filters to the sub channel (my active Audioengine sub), so that I can properly calibrate the system and blend everything together nicely with my front speakers. Some people told me that I shouldn't bother with sub channel opamp as I wouldn't hear a difference ... but I was always keen to try it out. Maybe it's best that I follow my own instincts
I don't know about not hearing a difference. Some opamps have very flabby "tubby" type of bass and some have tight bass. There are a few opamps I keep around just for the bass channel. It is easy to hear the difference with those models. Go with you gut though.
post #116 of 445
Thread Starter 
@Incognito73, forgot to mention the OPA627AU sounds quite good in this card also.
post #117 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
@Incognito73, forgot to mention the OPA627AU sounds quite good in this card also.
I see ... hmmmm .... I think that I will source 2xOPA627AU and 2XAD797. I would like to hear the differences in sound signature from those two well known opamps and settle with one I prefer the most. They are certified by Auzen (so no stability problems), I'm maybe now used to Audiotrak warm-ish/relaxed sound signature and lastly, well, they are probably mostly talked about in hi-fi circles ... but that doesn't neceserally mean a good thing

I may use them on front l/r and/or headphone outputs. Only question remains what to do with the sub channel. I don't use center one, so I don't need sub/center channels isolation. You mentioned that you have preferable opamps for sub channel ... may I ask about the models ?
post #118 of 445
... just to chip in about something interesting I tried last night - not specifically related to Bravura but it is in some sense. Some of you may find it maybe useful, practical or give you some other ideas. It's about wireless headphones set-up but if you want to avoid crappy and overpriced wireless headphones It's perfect for HTPC and movies watching in general.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Audioengine W1. I've used it with great success and sound quality is really, well, like cable replacement. Even my sub was in wireless mode, just for fun. So, to cut the long story short, you need W1 + portable usb battery (I'm using this one). So, I've plugged the W1 sender directly to Bravura headphone amp, and HD600 directly to W1 receiver (powered by usb battery pack). It's brilliant solution and sound quality is just amazing, especially for movies. So, your favorite audiophile headphones can go wireless any time you like
post #119 of 445
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito73 View Post
I see ... hmmmm .... I think that I will source 2xOPA627AU and 2XAD797. I would like to hear the differences in sound signature from those two well known opamps and settle with one I prefer the most. They are certified by Auzen (so no stability problems), I'm maybe now used to Audiotrak warm-ish/relaxed sound signature and lastly, well, they are probably mostly talked about in hi-fi circles ... but that doesn't neceserally mean a good thing

I may use them on front l/r and/or headphone outputs. Only question remains what to do with the sub channel. I don't use center one, so I don't need sub/center channels isolation. You mentioned that you have preferable opamps for sub channel ... may I ask about the models ?
I have tested both and they work fine int both positions. There many others opamps also that you might like to try on this card...
post #120 of 445
Loving this Bravura with my LME49710HA's in the Headphone amp. Notice I need to adjust the volume in the Media players to half or below or it be crazy loud.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Auzentech X-fi Bravura 7.1 Sneak Peek