Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help...need new IEM for Cowon S9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help...need new IEM for Cowon S9

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I want to get a new pair of IEMs for my incoming Cowon S9 player and need an audiophile's advice. I've only owned owned one pair of IEM..some Sony's...but the cord broke..so alas. I listen to a huge array of music...from hip hop, to classical, bluegrass, indie, latin..so my preference is for an overall very well balanced IEM that gives me a lot of warmth and clarity. The Cowon S9 is supposed to be a little light on the bass, so I would prefer an IEM that give me a little bit more bass, though not be bass heavy. My budget for now is about $150. Durability is a bonus, but SQ and good isolation are my priority.

CNET has a raving review of the Klipsh S4...but I am open to all suggestions.
post #2 of 18
Thread Starter 
low end shures or sennheisers?
post #3 of 18
klipsch custom 3
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
they are a bit pricy over here..not sure they are worth the extra money.
post #5 of 18
turbines
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosin19 View Post
I want to get a new pair of IEMs for my incoming Cowon S9 player and need an audiophile's advice. I've only owned owned one pair of IEM..some Sony's...but the cord broke..so alas. I listen to a huge array of music...from hip hop, to classical, bluegrass, indie, latin..so my preference is for an overall very well balanced IEM that gives me a lot of warmth and clarity. The Cowon S9 is supposed to be a little light on the bass, so I would prefer an IEM that give me a little bit more bass, though not be bass heavy. My budget for now is about $150. Durability is a bonus, but SQ and good isolation are my priority.

CNET has a raving review of the Klipsh S4...but I am open to all suggestions.
Hi there, I've heard the S9 (had it for a couple of weeks), and didn't think it was light on bass at all. I guess it depends how much you want

There's a really good thorough review of it here based on use with the SE530...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5899929-post1.html ...

For your budget, I'd suggest either the Denon C710's, the JVC FX500 or the Monster Turbines, all of which can be purchased for under $150, and all of which have plenty of stonking bass

Even the Sennheiser CX95 would probably be a nice match with plenty of bass and a nice rich midrange. Plus they're much cheaper than the other two

If you like vocals placed slightly forward, then I'd choose the Denons over the JVC because I found the JVC vocals to sound a little distant in comparison with the Denons. Also, I found the vocals on the S9 to be very slightly recessed. That may be why such a positive result was found with the mid-forward SE530.

Hope that helps... or confuses
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosin19 View Post
they are a bit pricy over here..not sure they are worth the extra money.
and here is?

if you use us$ then we will assume you are in the us if you dont say where you are
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Excellent review of the S9. Mine will hopefully arrive on Friday, so I guess we shall see. But to clarify, I am not a bass head, so massive amounts of bass is not a requirement. I had just read a few reviews about the S9 being a little light, but you are right, it depends on how much bass you ultimately like.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
yes, sorry about that...I am in the US.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
also, from reading reviews on the custom 3, the cord they have seem rather thick and people complain about the comfort level. I have small ears and sometimes wear glasses...wouldn't work.
post #11 of 18
sorry they were going for circa $120 not long ago thought they still were

even the custom 2 on amazon us are $78 and according to klipsch they are well above the S4


actually the philips she9850 might be good for you
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
Hi there, I've heard the S9 (had it for a couple of weeks), and didn't think it was light on bass at all. I guess it depends how much you want

There's a really good thorough review of it here based on use with the SE530...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5899929-post1.html ...

For your budget, I'd suggest either the Denon C710's, the JVC FX500 or the Monster Turbines, all of which can be purchased for under $150, and all of which have plenty of stonking bass

Even the Sennheiser CX95 would probably be a nice match with plenty of bass and a nice rich midrange. Plus they're much cheaper than the other two

If you like vocals placed slightly forward, then I'd choose the Denons over the JVC because I found the JVC vocals to sound a little distant in comparison with the Denons. Also, I found the vocals on the S9 to be very slightly recessed. That may be why such a positive result was found with the mid-forward SE530.

Hope that helps... or confuses
That would be my review.

tosin19, the S9 has A LOT of presets and custom EQ options to tweak to your heart/ears' content so bass quantity should not be an issue. If you want more bass, go with the C710s as soozieq suggested. The SE530 is also an excellent performer especially with vocals and a good seal will bring out the bass. You'll have to stretch your budget or look for a used pair for the Shures though. The Shure foam tips have better isolation than the Denons using the Comply foam tips.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 

Narrowing it down for the Cowon S9

Ok, so I did some research into the headphones mentioned and added a couple more to the list. They all seem pretty good, so now I just have to narrow it down. The review for the S9 soozieq mentioned used the Shure E500/SE530...so it might be good to get a pair that matches the sound signature to the shures as much as possible? I really do listen to all different types of music, from complex instrumental tracks, to slow and melodic acoustic and vocals, to hard rock, to hip hop. A large soundstage, nice mids and highs would be great. Also, comfort is important...I have small ears and wear glasses. I ride the bus a lot and go to school, so a decent amount of isolation is a must.

UM1
Custom 2
PFE 112
Phillips She9850
denons c710 (hard to find these online)
Re1 or 2
Senn CX95
post #14 of 18
How do the c710s compare to the turbines in terms of bass then?
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Installation, I'm not sure to be honest..

But I think I've narrowed down my list further between:

Image X5 (SQ seems to be on point, but seems like a cheaper build from the reviews)
PFE 112 (SQ seems to also be on point and the reviews say its comfortable, has good isolation, and doesn't have much microphonics)
UM1 (SQ seems also to be on point and very comfortable according to the reviews..)


hmm...any thoughts on these?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help...need new IEM for Cowon S9