Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Balanced TRS to Stereo RCA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Balanced TRS to Stereo RCA

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi,

My search for the correct way to wire a balanced TRS to Stereo RCA cable has not produced anything that I trust, so I am here.

I have just bought a M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card, and need to connect it to my Yamamoto HA-02 headphone amp.

The M-Audio 192 has balanced TRS outputs, and my Yamamoto has RCA inputs.

I have the wire and plugs, but don't know how to wire them for best safe sound and functioning.

Regards,

Russell
post #2 of 12
There is no "best sound", there is the correct way and it's simple.
TRS Ground -> RCA Ground
TRS Tip -> RCA Signal
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
There is no "best sound", there is the correct way and it's simple.
TRS Ground -> RCA Ground
TRS Tip -> RCA Signal
What about the ring, this also has audio signal, or shall I just leave it "un-connected"?

Thanks,

Russell
post #4 of 12
Balanced
Tip : +
Ring : -
Sleeve : Ground

Unbalanced
Tip : +
Sleeve : Ground
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
So I can safely ignore the ring - wire just the tip and ground, and be fine if I understand you correctly ...

Many thanks,

Russell
post #6 of 12
oops
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
So I can safely ignore the ring - wire just the tip and ground, and be fine if I understand you correctly ...

Many thanks,

Russell
I'm not positive on the M-Audio card, but when I need to go to unbalanced RCA inputs from my E-MU 1212m 1/4" balanced outs, a standard TS to RCA adapter works--so that's actually shorting ring (-) to sleeve (ground).

EDIT: Seems I remember a while ago, we wouldn't dream of trying this without an impedance-matching transformer, but that was working with XLR-TS connections. More modern gear (e.g. The ubiquitous Mackie portable consoles and their ilk) seem to handle 1/4" either TRS-->balanced *or* TS-->unbalanced just fine.
post #8 of 12
X2 for FallenAngel

Also- grats on your 192 and I hope you like it as much as I do mine!
post #9 of 12
is it 2 trs to 2 xlr or just 1 trs to 2 xlr
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaubertuba View Post
I'm not positive on the M-Audio card, but when I need to go to unbalanced RCA inputs from my E-MU 1212m 1/4" balanced outs, a standard TS to RCA adapter works--so that's actually shorting ring (-) to sleeve (ground).
Understood, but then you are feeding the ring signal to the unbalanced equipments earth, and that "contaminates the earth, surely ... ?

Quote:

EDIT: Seems I remember a while ago, we wouldn't dream of trying this without an impedance-matching transformer, but that was working with XLR-TS connections. More modern gear (e.g. The ubiquitous Mackie portable consoles and their ilk) seem to handle 1/4" either TRS-->balanced *or* TS-->unbalanced just fine.
On the other hand, can the 192, handle having the ring left "floating" i.e. not connected to anything, is my "niggle"
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
On the other hand, can the 192, handle having the ring left "floating" i.e. not connected to anything, is my "niggle"
It would much rather be floating than shorted to ground as someone suggested above. FallenAngel's fix is the best.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzler View Post
It would much rather be floating than shorted to ground as someone suggested above. FallenAngel's fix is the best.
Thanks, will do that ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Balanced TRS to Stereo RCA