or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado RS1i Impressions thread - Page 63

post #931 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltronics View Post

So my question is do you feel that the $235.00 extra was a good deal for the box? Was the quality of it worth that much extra?

I can't comment on the wooden box quality, but I bought a Pelican 1200 case for 40 bucks.  Like this one:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case-Foam-Camera/dp/B0014D9XFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395420221&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+case+1200

 

It is fantastic.  I use it every day in my backpack to take my Grados to and from work.  And on trips.  Way more functional than a wooden box that I would put in the closet.  :)

Fits them perfectly.  But not much else.

post #932 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin Fester View Post
 

I can't comment on the wooden box quality, but I bought a Pelican 1200 case for 40 bucks.  Like this one:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case-Foam-Camera/dp/B0014D9XFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395420221&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+case+1200

 

It is fantastic.  I use it every day in my backpack to take my Grados to and from work.  And on trips.  Way more functional than a wooden box that I would put in the closet.  :)

Fits them perfectly.  But not much else.

 

Wow, that box sure looks armour-proof there Fester. You may want to bring that to Jay and have him test that! Haha.

post #933 of 2103

Hey would any of you take your RS1(i)'s for a walk in the winter like Mr. Mayer here? In the summer?

No way on this earth that I would. But then again I gather he has enough funds not to care.

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

post #934 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltronics View Post

Wow, that box sure looks armour-proof there Fester. You may want to bring that to Jay and have him test that! Haha.
Ha ha. It is only plastic, not Kevlar.
post #935 of 2103

like i said guys, we don't even have any bullets !!

post #936 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin Fester View Post
 

I haven't recabled mine, but I had them re-terminated with a mini-xlr 4 pin for balanced.  Then I have adapters that I use to go to balanced RSA  Intruder amp, or I can adapt it to a regular 1/8" connection if needed.  Running them balanced was probably one of the biggest sound improvements I have done.  Below are my initial impressions when I did it.  Also included the link for the rest of my blathering if you want to read it.  I absolutely love the sound of balanced RS1i.

 

Originally 8.11.2013 on RSA Intruder thread:

"So this has been an extremely interesting week for me sound-wise.  As I mentioned above, I had my RS1i re-terminated with balanced connectors and that was an immediate shocker in how good it sounded coming out of the Intruder.

 

I believe that bass impact is even better now with the Grados than they were single ended.  I feel like the soundstage has improved as well.  The RS1i presentation is still very close, but it seems to have a bit more width to it than previously.  Here is one example.  I was listening to the Time Life Singers and Songwriters collection from 1980-1982.  (Don't judge.  Brings back fond memories of my childhood.)  On Fleetwood Mac's Hold me, John McVie's bass line was entrancing, while Lindsey Buckingham was doing some crazy muted high fretboard work first in the right ear, then later in the left.  Had to listen to it twice before calling it an evening last night.  Also, Buddy Guy's new CD Rhythm and Blues sounds fantastic.  Great disc(s).  Great sound.  Great fun. "

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632916/the-intruder-by-rsa-balanced-dac-amp-update-available-for-even-better-sound-just-pay-shipping/330#post_9698416


i just recently had a bryston bha-1, and had considered having my gs1000 reteminated, but never did, maybe i should have before i sold the bha-1

or maybe i should look to get one back !

post #937 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltronics View Post

Hey would any of you take your RS1(i)'s for a walk in the winter like Mr. Mayer here? In the summer?
No way on this earth that I would. But then again I gather he has enough funds not to care.


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90


Absolutely! I live on a very leafy suburb so there's a lot of open space to walk, and it's super quiet.
post #938 of 2103
:wink_face:Quote:
Originally Posted by maltronics View Post
 

Hey would any of you take your RS1(i)'s for a walk in the winter like Mr. Mayer here? In the summer?

No way on this earth that I would. But then again I gather he has enough funds not to care.

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

 

I bet he also loves the sound of traffic mixed in with his music...

post #939 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsubox View Post
 

 

I bet he also loves the sound of traffic mixed in with his music...

 

Note to Mr. Mayer: Hey John, maybe you didn't get the memo, but those are NOT noise cancelling headphones!!!

post #940 of 2103

When my wife has her annual spring garage sale, I usually sit on our porch with some coffee and my RS1i, hooked up thru my cmoy.

 

I have gotten quite a few strange looks.....even had a few people ask questions and even had a teenager ask for a listen and if they were for sale  :eek:

post #941 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltronics View Post

Note to Mr. Mayer: Hey John, maybe you didn't get the memo, but those are NOT noise cancelling headphones!!!
Best to be able to hear what's around you so you don't get smoked by a NYTA bus.
post #942 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcans View Post


Best to be able to hear what's around you so you don't get smoked by a NYTA bus.

 

Yes you are quite right bpcans! I guess I'll have to get with the mobile program. So long as it doesn't look like rain of course!! But I still can't see them being used on the go with such a thick and heavy cable. What would you do for cable management?

post #943 of 2103

Coil it.

post #944 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltronics View Post

Yes you are quite right bpcans! I guess I'll have to get with the mobile program. So long as it doesn't look like rain of course!! But I still can't see them being used on the go with such a thick and heavy cable. What would you do for cable management?
Maltronics, ain't trying to be right, just sayin'. As for mobility headphones are a great way to take your music out of the house, or as in my case a double wide refrigerator box. When it comes to when and where, it's just the weather man, you gotta pick your spots. Oh, there's this new fangled invention called the umbrella. It's kind of high tech. You know, cutting edge stuff. PersonallyI don't think it'll ever catch on. When I go out I try to gently roll the cable in same way that it came in the Grado pizza box. Then I very kinda gently put the cord attached to my iPhone in my coat pocket. Same thing when I put them down, only looser.
Edited by bpcans - 3/22/14 at 1:22pm
post #945 of 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin Fester View Post

I can't comment on the wooden box quality, but I bought a Pelican 1200 case for 40 bucks.  Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case-Foam-Camera/dp/B0014D9XFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395420221&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+case+1200

It is fantastic.  I use it every day in my backpack to take my Grados to and from work.  And on trips.  Way more functional than a wooden box that I would put in the closet.  smily_headphones1.gif
Fits them perfectly.  But not much else.
Could you post a pic of your Grado hp's in the Pelican case please. I've got to travel in a couple weeks, no I'm not taking Malaysian Air, and it would be nice to be able to safely bring them along. Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread