or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado RS1i Impressions thread - Page 55

post #811 of 2102

^^ Not sure what the default is but both my PS500 and RS1i were snug.  Nothing that a little gentle bending of the headband can't fix.

Did the same thing, returned my PS500 to get the RS1i within the 30 day grace period.  Couldn't be happier.

post #812 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

Question,

 

I just sent back my PS500's in exchange for the RS1i, but one thing I noticed about the PS500 was that the headband was pretty loose compared to my SR125i and SR325is.  Is this something they did with the higher end models or was it more of a defect in mine?  To compare the clamping pressure was the same as my HD800 were if I tilt my head down they would fall forward unlike the other two headphones I mentioned.

Not that I've heard the PS500, but from what I've read I have no desire to hear them being I'm no bass head. Good choice going with the RS1i's, that I can tell you, enjoy!

I just bought the GS1Ki's and noticed the same thing about the headband, it has much less clamping force than any of my other Grados did, I only pulled the band horizontally one time to stretch it out and their as comfortable as can be, where as on my others I had to repeat this over and over until the spring steel stayed where I wanted it to. Good luck with your RS1i's!

post #813 of 2102

Ahh…  The smell of a new pair of Grados.  Nothing like it.

 

After only listening to these for an hour I can tell already that I made a good choice on returning the PS500 for these.  Gone is that dark sound that the PS500 had with it’s a little over emphasized bass that I thought made them feel a little congested.  The first thing I noticed when listening to the RS1i was the better instrument separation with a more controlled bass response, which is what I was hoping for over the PS500.  Considering how much I like these now, I look forward to how they will sound with some more burn in. 

Also, what a side of relief with the construction of these compared to the PS500 I returned.  No kinks in the cable, better lettering on the cups, no glue smudges around the drivers, and a more snug fitting head band.  Overall better attention to detail.

post #814 of 2102

Congrats on the new RS1i! I felt the same way when I exchanged the PS500 for the RS1i.

BTW.. How are they on the Asgard 2 versus the Vali?  I love the Vali but the ringing is prominent and never seem go away for me. [I have one of the early ones]

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

Ahh…  The smell of a new pair of Grados.  Nothing like it.

post #815 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

I'll have to get back with you on the difference between the Vali and Agard2 with these, because I didn't have time to try different configurations with them last night.  I will give it a try this evening after work.  I bought my Vali new a month ago and the ringing goes away pretty quick after I first turn it on or plug in my phones.  I would say the ringing lasts for 20 seconds, which is not and issue for me.

post #816 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

Ahh…  The smell of a new pair of Grados.  Nothing like it.

 

After only listening to these for an hour I can tell already that I made a good choice on returning the PS500 for these.  Gone is that dark sound that the PS500 had with it’s a little over emphasized bass that I thought made them feel a little congested.  The first thing I noticed when listening to the RS1i was the better instrument separation with a more controlled bass response, which is what I was hoping for over the PS500.  Considering how much I like these now, I look forward to how they will sound with some more burn in. 

Also, what a side of relief with the construction of these compared to the PS500 I returned.  No kinks in the cable, better lettering on the cups, no glue smudges around the drivers, and a more snug fitting head band.  Overall better attention to detail.

I felt the same way about the GS1Ki's after listening/burning-in for three days. When I put the RS's back on and I knew immediately I preferred them over the GS1Ki for these same reasons. Enjoy!

post #817 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

Ahh…  The smell of a new pair of Grados.  Nothing like it.

 

After only listening to these for an hour I can tell already that I made a good choice on returning the PS500 for these.  Gone is that dark sound that the PS500 had with it’s a little over emphasized bass that I thought made them feel a little congested.  The first thing I noticed when listening to the RS1i was the better instrument separation with a more controlled bass response, which is what I was hoping for over the PS500.  Considering how much I like these now, I look forward to how they will sound with some more burn in. 

Also, what a side of relief with the construction of these compared to the PS500 I returned.  No kinks in the cable, better lettering on the cups, no glue smudges around the drivers, and a more snug fitting head band.  Overall better attention to detail.

 

Congrats....those are beautiful cups,,,,,you just got yourself a heck of a pair of cans....enjoy them.

post #818 of 2102

very beautiful headphones! 

 

there is something about the rs1i that the other grados models (also have the 325i and tried the 225i) don't have, voices just sound so natural, sweet and clear.... is it the wood?

post #819 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

Last night I tried comparing the Vali and Asgard2 hooked up to the Bifrost uber and the RS1i.  To my ears the Vali added some warmth to the sound with some deeper bass; whereas the Asgard brought out more detail with punchier bass.  I confirmed this by using my HD800 which made this a little more obvious, because as you know they are more revealing and sensitive to changes in your setup.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I felt the same way about the GS1Ki's after listening/burning-in for three days. When I put the RS's back on and I knew immediately I preferred them over the GS1Ki for these same reasons. Enjoy!

I knew for me it would be between the PS500 and the RS1i in the Grado lineup, but I would still like to a least audition the GS1K and PS1K some day.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

 

Congrats....those are beautiful cups,,,,,you just got yourself a heck of a pair of cans....enjoy them.

Thanks, and I will be enjoying these for years to come just like I did with my 325is before these.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by costas23 View Post
 

very beautiful headphones!

 

there is something about the rs1i that the other grados models (also have the 325i and tried the 225i) don't have, voices just sound so natural, sweet and clear.... is it the wood?

Thanks, and I don't know if it's the wood or just the better drivers, but they do sound very natural and clear compared to the PS500 and 325is that I've owned.


Edited by Oracle - 2/27/14 at 10:32am
post #820 of 2102
Thanks Oracle. Appreciate you observations. Guess I'm staying with the Vali until I can get an uber amp. All my current amps drive the RS1i's quite nicely.
post #821 of 2102

If you need something fresh to feed your RS1s, look no further than this. Bonus points if you run it through a MAD or poor man's MAD, the LD1+.

 

post #822 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

If you need something fresh to feed your RS1s, look no further than this. Bonus points if you run it through a MAD or poor man's MAD, the LD1+.

 

 

thanks, Joe.

 

I will check it out.

post #823 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

Question,

I just sent back my PS500's in exchange for the RS1i, but one thing I noticed about the PS500 was that the headband was pretty loose compared to my SR125i and SR325is.  Is this something they did with the higher end models or was it more of a defect in mine?  To compare the clamping pressure was the same as my HD800 were if I tilt my head down they would fall forward unlike the other two headphones I mentioned.
My RS1i's and SR225i's have a pretty snug fit. My PS500's have a much looser fit.
post #824 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chailee80 View Post


My RS1i's and SR225i's have a pretty snug fit. My PS500's have a much looser fit.

The RS1i's I received fit the same as my SR325is and SR125i's which were pretty snug.  I like the snugger fit because during some sessions I have a tendency to start head banging a bit.  I plan on re-buying the PS500 some day after I sell my SR325is and SR125i, and if they are loose than as suggested by MickeyVee earlier; "Nothing that a little gentle bending of the headband can't fix."

post #825 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

The RS1i's I received fit the same as my SR325is and SR125i's which were pretty snug.  I like the snugger fit because during some sessions I have a tendency to start head banging a bit.  I plan on re-buying the PS500 some day after I sell my SR325is and SR125i, and if they are loose than as suggested by MickeyVee earlier; "Nothing that a little gentle bending of the headband can't fix."


Yeh its a thin line between comfort and having ya cans go flying across the room lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread