or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado RS1i Impressions thread - Page 47

post #691 of 2102

the vali actually sounds very good with the rs1i, the only noise issue is it just takes a little longer for the ringing to subside , it rings with all the cans i have, just rings longer, but still less than a minute with my grado's

 

the little dot is outstanding as well, and have the benefit of tube and op amp rolling,

i like my lyr with the rs1i, and will soon have the MAD Ear+ HD here as well,

can't wait to compare the two for myself

post #692 of 2102

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the MAD, Jay.

 

I just bought a remastered version of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms today.

 

I am listening to it for the third time, just brilliant with the RS1i and the MAD EAR.

post #693 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the MAD, Jay.

 

I just bought a remastered version of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms today.

 

I am listening to it for the third time, just brilliant with the RS1i and the MAD EAR.


"ride acroos the river"  + GS1000i =   OMG !!!!!

post #694 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


"ride acroos the river"  + GS1000i =   OMG !!!!!

I'm slowly becoming more and more interested in the GS/PS 1000 with every post you make.

post #695 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomeplay View Post
 

I'm slowly becoming more and more interested in the GS/PS 1000 with every post you make.


the rs1i/gs1000i comparison ?  , i haven't had them at the same time, i loaned the rs1i's out at the time the gs1000i arrived, they crossed in the mail.

the rs1's should be here tomorrow, or thursday, then i can make some direct , real time comparisons, and not rely on my feeble/fickle memory.

i believe the rs1 to have the more typical grado sound, the gs, more bass(still tight,fast), larger sound stage,

it should prove interesting !

post #696 of 2102

Look forward to your findings, also of how the GS1000i plays with the MAD EAR  :smile:

post #697 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

hey RS1i appreciators...

 

what is a good amp pairing with the RS1i?  they sound great from my magni but i'm convinced that something with tubes could potentially calm some brightness and make better use of the nice low end that these have, but don't demonstrate from my magni.  they sound better to me from my fiio E17 which i consider a warm-sounding amp compared to my magni

 

would prefer cheap, i almost bought a vali but there were some comments about noise with grado's?

 

i'm just stunned by how much i enjoy these phones and would like to try some synergy in the gear now

 

thanks!


I went back and forth between the LD1+ and the Schiit Asgard-2 and eventually settled on the A-2. But a lot of that came down that if felt easier to deal with a U.S company & I like what Schiit represents in terms of a small US company with good quality control, ethics and crazy good customer service (I know you're Canadian:tongue_smile: ) and since it's my first and only amp I wanted something that I could use with other future HPs. If I were just looking for the Grado-given the huge love on these pages-I'd be tempted to go w/ LD. That said, and I know you don't know what prime rib taste like if you've only had Burger King hamburgers....but that said-I'm quite pleased with the sound I get from my A-2 and 225i-very clear and detailed...I'm guessing not as warm and fuzzy as a tube amp?


Edited by markm1 - 1/15/14 at 7:27am
post #698 of 2102
I finally had some time for some true "critical listening" (whatever that means ha) and the magni sounds really nice with the rs1. I did some a/b with the sr80 and my he400, and funny enough all the little things I was nitpicking on in my head about the rs1 just disappeared! I'd like to try some tubes, the vali or the LD seems like a good entry point , more so the LD since I can roll tubes which might be fun...although I really dig my schiit and the seemingly ignored Valhalla might be a good step up

After listening to nothing but the rs1 since I got them, and never under perfect conditions, I was feeling they lost some midrange and tone to the 80's in exchange for more detail....turns out it's just not true and after a while of a/b I just wanted to put the rs1 back on and enjoy....It is a very special headphone!

Also tried a few variations of the taped bowl mod, and decided it tilts the midrange down too far and over emphasizes the bass, it's not for me. While they do have the standard grado bass roll off, these guys can really dig deep when called for and while not the same league as the 400's for bass texture, they are very, very good in this regard

And you know, as I sit and think about it I'm gonna go with a DIY tube amp, maybe a project sunrise or something fun. It's been too long since I had a nice electronics project and I've sold off my half built B22
Edited by ferday - 1/15/14 at 9:22am
post #699 of 2102

oh rs1i, how i missed you, meet  the MAD Ear+ HD, i think you two were made for each other

post #700 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

Hey Kramer.....My son is using my LD1+ at the moment...OPA2107 and Mullard EF92 which are 6QC6 is what I used the last time that I used it....I am not quite sure what combo he has put in since he has had it.

 

Pretty darn good amp for the price.

 

I believe this is one of the amps you recommended to me some time ago  :smile:

 

 

 

Hey thanks!!  Wow that was a LONG time ago then.  FOTM madness on HF is really hard to filter through and get a straight answer.  One thing I have noticed though is the designs that withstand the test of time, are the good ones.  So its good too see folks (still) recommending the mad ear+ amp and LD1+ for wood Grados.  Near as I can tell the Melos hybrid is also still highly regarded.

post #701 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
 

 

Hey thanks!!  Wow that was a LONG time ago then.  FOTM madness on HF is really hard to filter through and get a straight answer.  One thing I have noticed though is the designs that withstand the test of time, are the good ones.  So its good too see folks (still) recommending the mad ear+ amp and LD1+ for wood Grados.  Near as I can tell the Melos hybrid is also still highly regarded.


there was a melos pre/head amp on ebay not to long ago, before i got the MAD, i had read about it years ago in stereophile, and lusted

it was only $400something i believe, or that was the starting bid price, i almost pulled the trigger on it

post #702 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

Look forward to your findings, also of how the GS1000i plays with the MAD EAR  :smile:


the two play together very nice, this is going to be fun !

post #703 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

oh rs1i, how i missed you, meet  the MAD Ear+ HD, i think you two were made for each other

:beerchug:

post #704 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

hey RS1i appreciators...

 

what is a good amp pairing with the RS1i?  they sound great from my magni but i'm convinced that something with tubes could potentially calm some brightness and make better use of the nice low end that these have, but don't demonstrate from my magni.  they sound better to me from my fiio E17 which i consider a warm-sounding amp compared to my magni

 

would prefer cheap, i almost bought a vali but there were some comments about noise with grado's?

 

i'm just stunned by how much i enjoy these phones and would like to try some synergy in the gear now

 

thanks!

In my opinion, RA1 is one of the best tuned amp for RS1i.  It's not the most technically advanced amp, but it can match RS1i very well. I know there are some people bashing it for some reasons, but give it a try if you have a chance.

post #705 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuqi View Post
 

In my opinion, RA1 is one of the best tuned amp for RS1i.  It's not the most technically advanced amp, but it can match RS1i very well. I know there are some people bashing it for some reasons, but give it a try if you have a chance.

You could buy a CMOY amp for about $40 and it's literally the same circuit. Though not a pretty wooden box...just an Altoids case.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread