or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado RS1i Impressions thread - Page 81

post #1201 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


got the spotify "bluesify" app going, great way to hear some stuff not in my heavy rotation


I'm listening to the first two discs of The Essential Bruce Springsteen. Really enjoy his earlier output.

post #1202 of 2102
Sweet. Can't wait to get my pair
post #1203 of 2102

So the new RS1e puts the driver super close to your ear... it kinda sounds somewhere between the RS1i with L cushions and flats. Now I do like the sound BUT my ear actually is directly up against the cheese cloth driver covering. It doesn't bother me but some might find it annoying. If you want your new pair of RS1e's to fit like the previous RS1e I have a solution!

 

Steal 2 hair ties from your GF/wife/co-worker/friend/stranger and put them around the protruding part of the driver and slide the L cushion over it! SIMPLE! it will keep the exposed edge of the driver off your ear and push the cushion out slightly, now these feel just like the old RS1 with no real effect on sound, except a tiny increase in sound stage.

 

 

 

 

 

Worth it if the fit of the new model bothers you!


Edited by kvtaco17 - 6/26/14 at 3:45pm
post #1204 of 2102

Funny that you would write this. I just bought the RS1e last week and have been listening to them this week and have the same complaint. I can't wear them more than a few song before I have to take them off and reposition them on my ears due to the discomfort.

I have since purchased the PS500e's and don't have that problem with them. I have been comparing the two headphone for the last couple of days and seem to enjoy the 500's a little more, especially as in the comfort issue.

At this point I will probably be returning the RS1's. At the price point of these headphones I find the comfort issue unacceptable.  


Edited by djohnson013 - 6/26/14 at 7:17pm
post #1205 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson013 View Post
 

Funny that you would write this. I just bought the RS1e last week and have been listening to them this week and have the same complaint. I can't wear them more than a few song before I have to take them off and reposition them on my ears due to the discomfort.

I have since purchased the PS500e's and don't have that problem with them. I have been comparing the two headphone for the last couple of days and seem to enjoy the 500 a little more, especially as in the comfort issue.

At this point I will probably be returning the RS1's. At the price point of these headphones I find the comfort issue unacceptable.  

Really? The RS1s are lighter and I've always found them more comfortable than the heavier PS500s.

post #1206 of 2102

I am talking about the new e series. If you notice the ear cushions are shallower than the I series and do rest on your ears.

Yes the RS1's are lighter but are not as near as comfortable in my opinion.

post #1207 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson013 View Post
 

I am talking about the new e series. If you notice the ear cushions are shallower than the I series and do rest on your ears.

Yes the RS1's are lighter but are not as near as comfortable in my opinion.

Oh, gotcha...I'll have to audition a pair soon. I've owned the RS1/RS1 buttonless and RS1i...I'm quite curious to hear the RS1e.

post #1208 of 2102
same here. got the rs1i with me and gotta say that i wouldn't want the drivers any closer to my ears. it already has an up front sound.
post #1209 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

So the new RS1e puts the driver super close to your ear... it kinda sounds somewhere between the RS1i with L cushions and flats. Now I do like the sound BUT my ear actually is directly up against the cheese cloth driver covering. It doesn't bother me but some might find it annoying. If you want your new pair of RS1e's to fit like the previous RS1e I have a solution!

 

Steal 2 hair ties from your GF/wife/co-worker/friend/stranger and put them around the protruding part of the driver and slide the L cushion over it! SIMPLE! it will keep the exposed edge of the driver off your ear and push the cushion out slightly, now these feel just like the old RS1 with no real effect on sound, except a tiny increase in sound stage.

 

 

 

 

 

Worth it if the fit of the new model bothers you!


 Or, you could say forget it and keep your old RS1i's.....just sayin' :wink:

post #1210 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 


 Or, you could say forget it and keep your old RS1i's.....just sayin' :wink:

I should have kept them... I miss my old vintage RS1's... but these are pretty damn good.

post #1211 of 2102
Once I buy a piece of audio equipment, I never sell it...
post #1212 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

So I'm on my way back to the RS1, this time with the new RS1e from 4OurEars.com.  My first go around with these headphones was with the RS1i that I purchased form Crutchfield and kept them for the full 60 days and ultimately decided I liked the PS500 better and returned them.  

 

But now I don't need to decide between the two and will be keeping the RS1 no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I was amping them wrong by using a solid state amp instead of a tube amp that most people seem to be using with them.

 

I have the Schiit Vali now that I purchased to get a taste of tube amps, but I think I will be buying the Lyr2 or the WA6 to go with the RS1 this time.  Is this what most of you would suggest while using these headphones, or is there something else I'm missing; by the way the WA6 is the most I would be willing to spend on an amp.

 

(FYI) My impressions with the RS1i with my Asgard 2 was that it was very detailed with a nice sound stage and imaging but seemed sort of thin and light with the bass.  Anyways I liked it but at the time I could only afford to buy one.

 

Hi,

 

How would you compare the detail between the rs1i's and the ps500's?

 

Did you experience too much sharpness in the highs at any point, to the point of being uncomfortable?

post #1213 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by potkettleblack View Post
 

 

Hi,

 

How would you compare the detail between the rs1i's and the ps500's?

 

Did you experience too much sharpness in the highs at any point, to the point of being uncomfortable?

There’s more detail coming out of the RS1e but I think that’s because of their more forward mids; the sound is a little more in your face allowing you to hear more detail.  The PS500 has more recessed mids which gives them a larger soundstage with a more overall relaxed sound signature.  These headphones are polar opposites of one another but I don’t experience any sharpness with either of them. 

post #1214 of 2102
how does soundstage and instrument separation compare? if the mids aren't as forward with the ps500 does it sound more spacious?
Edited by up late - 6/27/14 at 6:28am
post #1215 of 2102

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread