or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado RS1i Impressions thread - Page 79

post #1171 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

So I'm on my way back to the RS1, this time with the new RS1e from 4OurEars.com.  My first go around with these headphones was with the RS1i that I purchased form Crutchfield and kept them for the full 60 days and ultimately decided I liked the PS500 better and returned them.  

 

But now I don't need to decide between the two and will be keeping the RS1 no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I was amping them wrong by using a solid state amp instead of a tube amp that most people seem to be using with them.

 

I have the Schiit Vali now that I purchased to get a taste of tube amps, but I think I will be buying the Lyr2 or the WA6 to go with the RS1 this time.  Is this what most of you would suggest while using these headphones, or is there something else I'm missing; by the way the WA6 is the most I would be willing to spend on an amp.

 

(FYI) My impressions with the RS1i with my Asgard 2 was that it was very detailed with a nice sound stage and imaging but seemed sort of thin and light with the bass.  Anyways I liked it but at the time I could only afford to buy one.


all of the amps you're thinking about will be very good. i'd only add a little dot, mk 1+, or a mad ear+ hd , if you can find one used, usually

+/- $500

 

oh, and BTW, the mad is good with the hd800, ask whirlwind !


Edited by jaywillin - 6/20/14 at 5:20pm
post #1172 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


all of the amps you're thinking about will be very good. i'd only add a little dot, mk 1+, or a mad ear+ hd , if you can find one used, usually

+/- $500

 

oh, and BTW, the mad is good with the hd800, ask whirlwind !

 

Thanks jaywillin,

 

I'll look into these other amps some more, and I did read what whirlwind had to say about the mad and HD800 combo and that sounds very interesting to me so I'll be on the lookout for one for sure.

post #1173 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

So I'm on my way back to the RS1, this time with the new RS1e from 4OurEars.com.  My first go around with these headphones was with the RS1i that I purchased form Crutchfield and kept them for the full 60 days and ultimately decided I liked the PS500 better and returned them.  

But now I don't need to decide between the two and will be keeping the RS1 no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I was amping them wrong by using a solid state amp instead of a tube amp that most people seem to be using with them.

I have the Schiit Vali now that I purchased to get a taste of tube amps, but I think I will be buying the Lyr2 or the WA6 to go with the RS1 this time.  Is this what most of you would suggest while using these headphones, or is there something else I'm missing; by the way the WA6 is the most I would be willing to spend on an amp.

(FYI) My impressions with the RS1i with my Asgard 2 was that it was very detailed with a nice sound stage and imaging but seemed sort of thin and light with the bass.  Anyways I liked it but at the time I could only afford to buy one.

I can't wait to hear your impressions on the new, larger driver! Technically, it should offer an instant increase in bass

I will say I find the rs1i to have much better bass than the rest of the line (that I've heard, which is none of the ps) and much better than many people believe, although still quite bass light compared to some other headphones. If they kept the liquid midrange, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!
post #1174 of 2102

" liquid mid-range, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!"

 

This is what I'm hoping for as well with these, so I'll be sure to report back after I've had some time with them.  I should get them by Tuesday.

post #1175 of 2102

congrats

post #1176 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

" liquid mid-range, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!"

 

This is what I'm hoping for as well with these, so I'll be sure to report back after I've had some time with them.  I should get them by Tuesday.

:D

post #1177 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

" liquid mid-range, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!"

 

This is what I'm hoping for as well with these, so I'll be sure to report back after I've had some time with them.  I should get them by Tuesday.

I already feel this way about my RS1i.

:bigsmile_face:

post #1178 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I already feel this way about my RS1i.
bigsmile_face.gif
Me too!
post #1179 of 2102

Rocking out to some Zeppelin right now with my PS500 and HD800's dreaming about the incoming RS1e that will complete the trifecta in my headphone collection. :L3000: 


Edited by Oracle - 6/21/14 at 4:33pm
post #1180 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

Rocking out to some Zeppelin right now with my PS500 and HD800's dreaming about the incoming RS1e that will complete the trifecta in my headphone collection. :L3000: 

are you listening to the new zeppelin hd release.....I have heard mixed reviews on those.

 

That will be quite the trifecta of cans you have there :smile:

 

I have actually been thinking about selling my rs1i and adding a planar and using a 225i for my grado fix.

post #1181 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

are you listening to the new zeppelin hd release.....I have heard mixed reviews on those.

 

That will be quite the trifecta of cans you have there :smile:

 

I have actually been thinking about selling my rs1i and adding a planar and using a 225i for my grado fix.

No I bought the box set of Zeppelin (CD) a few years ago and have been very happy with it, although I am intrigued by the recently released HD versions.  Of all the people I have been reading through on the Grado fan club and RS1 thread you would be the last one I would think to sell their RS1 (blasphemy).

post #1182 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

are you listening to the new zeppelin hd release.....I have heard mixed reviews on those.

 

That will be quite the trifecta of cans you have there :smile:

 

I have actually been thinking about selling my rs1i and adding a planar and using a 225i for my grado fix.

YOU'LL BE BACK!:evil:

 

Quote:
post #1183 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

No I bought the box set of Zeppelin (CD) a few years ago and have been very happy with it, although I am intrigued by the recently released HD versions.  Of all the people I have been reading through on the Grado fan club and RS1 thread you would be the last one I would think to sell their RS1 (blasphemy).


Well, it wont be any time soon, but I think eventually it will happen.

 

I love them to death....it just becomes that they deserve most head time than they are receiving sort of thin

post #1184 of 2102

I've had 3 or 4 pairs of rs1's and I keep coming back. This time, I have an incoming Vintage Rs1 with pink drivers. Ideally, this is the pair I want to keep forever, but I'm afraid the drivers will f----- up on me since I want a pair to enjoy and not feel they belong in a museum! ha!

 

Guess I'll see, but one thing I've learned is that I definitely prefer the older Rs1 than the newer versions!

post #1185 of 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsdriver View Post
 

I've had 3 or 4 pairs of rs1's and I keep coming back. This time, I have an incoming Vintage Rs1 with pink drivers. Ideally, this is the pair I want to keep forever, but I'm afraid the drivers will f----- up on me since I want a pair to enjoy and not feel they belong in a museum! ha!

 

Guess I'll see, but one thing I've learned is that I definitely prefer the older Rs1 than the newer versions!


Congrats on the pink driver RS1's.....very nice find.

 

Well, I have not gotten rid of them yet, and if I do.....yeah....maybe I will get them back someday.

 

Never say never!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado RS1i Impressions thread