Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps - Page 25

post #361 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozanoa11 View Post
Well I got mine today. Initial impressions are good. It too 11 days including weekends. Using it with my Sr 325's.

Bass has alot more punch to it. Not overpowering in any way and not bloated just more punch.

Mids sound a little more full but not much difference.

Treble is another story. It seems to be a little less defined. Biggest notice was that rapid cymbal hits seem to meld together. I know its the nature of the headphone and this seems make it a little worse.

All in all I think its a great starter amp. Its silent up untill the 12'oclock setting and a little static can be heard. We will see how it burns in. Also sound stage seems to be better, its too soon to tell though.
My stock tube crackled horribly, and I've experienced a couple of others that do as well. Roll a decent Siemens 6922 or Tele into it and the treble definition will probably surprise you. Put a NOS 6dj8 (Philips/Amperex are my favs) in it and the overall soundstage will make the stock tube sound anemic.

Your Grados should really appreciate a good 6922/E88CC substitution.
post #362 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoops16 View Post
Im no expert on Earmax amps but from what I have read the PRO version was designed with low impedance headphones in mind. I did a quick google search and from the reviews and shops selling it they all say the PRO version has been designed for low impedance phones.

EarMax Pro Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Earmax Headphone Amp Review
The Earmax PRO has the ability to drive low impedance phones that the regular does not. It's not designed for low impedance phones only.
post #363 of 2588

Pulsing Bravo video...

Just for giggles...here is a short video of my Bravo. This is all it does...pulse. No sound in the headphones besides a "swoosh" that goes with the pulse.

YouTube - Bravo Amp "pulses"

Seller has already sent me a replacement, so all should be well soon.

Just wondered if the sight of the error would cause anyone here to recognize what is wrong with this example...
post #364 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Buff View Post
My stock tube crackled horribly, and I've experienced a couple of others that do as well. Roll a decent Siemens 6922 or Tele into it and the treble definition will probably surprise you. Put a NOS 6dj8 (Philips/Amperex are my favs) in it and the overall soundstage will make the stock tube sound anemic.

Your Grados should really appreciate a good 6922/E88CC substitution.
The stock tube was just static and crackly out of the left side only. the right side had no sound. I had a new EH 6922. Popped it in and thats all it needed!
post #365 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitary1 View Post
The Earmax PRO has the ability to drive low impedance phones that the regular does not. It's not designed for low impedance phones only.
I didnt mean that the pro was for low impedance only, which my first post on the matter might imply. In my second post I said the pro was designed with low imp cans in mind.

But thanks for clearing that up anyway Solitary1
post #366 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzVinyl View Post
Can you please post a photo of your mods, Gurusan..??
Obviously I need to get some longer bolts now

post #367 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoops16 View Post
Im no expert on Earmax amps but from what I have read the PRO version was designed with low impedance headphones in mind. I did a quick google search and from the reviews and shops selling it they all say the PRO version has been designed for low impedance phones.
The mentioned description was made for the old release, but that is no longer valid. Compared to the newer SE are the specifications of the PRO relatively limited for lower impedances. Brocksieper knows the shortcomings of the PRO very well. This was one of the reasons for the new SE!
post #368 of 2588
Got something nice in the post today Nichicon KW 25V 4700uF. Only thing left for me to do now is replace this crappy power switch and maybe stick on some rubber feet.


post #369 of 2588
I really hope they drop the price on this baby soon. Seems really interesting for the money.

Anyone tried this with the HD650?
post #370 of 2588
^^ Gurusan! You da man! How does it sound? BTW, that's a good-looking Mully in there! Will the top acrylic sheet fit with the KW in place?

^ NSX, these little amps have been increasing in price for several months...
post #371 of 2588
The KW sounds great, the bass seems to have some more punch and extension now, although I suspect that upgrading the power supply will make the biggest difference, but I will hold on that for awhile.

The KW just barely fits, it's so snug that I would actually say that it doesn't really fit...you can't tighten the top nuts all the way without bending the plastic. Just need to get some slightly larger spacers.

post #372 of 2588
Looks like great fun. Simple, to the point but very modifiable. I may get one just for the fun of it. Too bad all my 6DJ8 types are in storage 1000 miles from here. I have some of the finest ever made in NOS. I think I have around 250 or so. Oh well, picking up a few off of ebay wouldn't be too bad.
post #373 of 2588
Is it normal for there to be static with this amp when its just starting to heat up? I noticed if I start listening to this when it's only been on for a couple of minutes there is static that is mostly heard only in the right ear. It starts to go away after it warms up for around 10 minutes. It's not a big deal because it goes away, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this, or if this is a characteristic of tube amps.
post #374 of 2588
Wow...weird little amp, for sure. Hope they work well for you guys.
post #375 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek800 View Post
Is it normal for there to be static with this amp when its just starting to heat up? I noticed if I start listening to this when it's only been on for a couple of minutes there is static that is mostly heard only in the right ear. It starts to go away after it warms up for around 10 minutes. It's not a big deal because it goes away, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this, or if this is a characteristic of tube amps.
Its normal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps