Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps - Page 174

post #2596 of 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post

The amount of time the led runs really depends on the amount of capacitance in the power supply and the current the LED consumes.  What power supply are you using?

It's the stock PS: Juyn 24V 1.5A switching

But like I said, it does this even if it's not plugged into the power supply.
post #2597 of 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett View Post

Hello all,

I've been a V1 owner for about a month now and I've rolled about a dozen tubes so far. I've balanced the left-right pots to ~13.5V. Two quick questions:

#1 Is it normal that the blue LED remains lit after powering off the amp?

#2 I get a slight buzzing in my left channel when music is not playing. It's probably there while music is playing too, but gets drowned out by the other sounds coming through. What component causes this and any recommended fixes?

BTW, some tube notes: my favorites are a 1970 Amperex orange globe A-frame and a 1985 6N23P Voskhod Rocket logo, ECC86 works in this amp, ECC85 does not work

As for the recommended 13.5v, I use that as a starting point but all my tubes were different as to which voltage sounded best. Left and Right were never the same either.

post #2598 of 2605

I have a Bravo V3 and it's stopped working. I was wondering if you fine folks could help me out a little.

 

Firstly it started to turn off and on really quickly, the tube was flashing, I thought maybe the power plug was loose, yet it was not.

I re-seated the the tube a few times and then it was working for a bit, the tube was light up for half and hour but I didn't test any audio output.

 

It started to flash a little more so I re-seated the tube once more, but then it wouldn't light up. I tested the V3 without the tube and the LED were

still lighting up. But eventually after more testing the LED don't light up any more.

 

I've ordered a replacement tube, but I have a feeling something on the board has gone faulty instead.

Any one have any ideas?

post #2599 of 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett View Post

Hello all,

I've been a V1 owner for about a month now and I've rolled about a dozen tubes so far. I've balanced the left-right pots to ~13.5V. Two quick questions:

#1 Is it normal that the blue LED remains lit after powering off the amp?

#2 I get a slight buzzing in my left channel when music is not playing. It's probably there while music is playing too, but gets drowned out by the other sounds coming through. What component causes this and any recommended fixes?

BTW, some tube notes: my favorites are a 1970 Amperex orange globe A-frame and a 1985 6N23P Voskhod Rocket logo, ECC86 works in this amp, ECC85 does not work

 

#1: Yes. I have two V2's and both do this. It's perfectly normal.

 

#2: Only one model of the Bravo amps has any shielding at all, and the V1 definitely has none. So it is a magnet for RFI. You probably have a transformer or other electronic device too close to the amp. Move things around while listening to the amp and you'll find a spot where it goes away. If that doesn't work, then you most likely have a bad cable somewhere.

post #2600 of 2605

Hi everyone,

 

I'm using a Bravo Audio Ocean but I seem to be getting clipping/distortion when the volume reaches about 11 o'clock with any pop/rock material, especially in the bass.  I've have tried tube rolling (the stock tube and I also have a old Mullard and Telefunken), but the problem persists.  With my easier to drive cans, that volume position is more than enough, but it isn't quite enough for my harder to drive cans, such as HE400, K240 DF and K702s to listen to music at a loudish volume without clipping.  This is quite annoying and I was sondering if anyone else has this issue or can suggest a remedy?  Is it down to the tube or will this happen whatever tube is in the amp?  If I can't sort it out, I think I'll be upgrading to something with more undistorted power.

 

Thanks for any advice in advance..

post #2601 of 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post
 

Hi everyone,

 

I'm using a Bravo Audio Ocean but I seem to be getting clipping/distortion when the volume reaches about 11 o'clock with any pop/rock material, especially in the bass.  I've have tried tube rolling (the stock tube and I also have a old Mullard and Telefunken), but the problem persists.  With my easier to drive cans, that volume position is more than enough, but it isn't quite enough for my harder to drive cans, such as HE400, K240 DF and K702s to listen to music at a loudish volume without clipping.  This is quite annoying and I was sondering if anyone else has this issue or can suggest a remedy?  Is it down to the tube or will this happen whatever tube is in the amp?  If I can't sort it out, I think I'll be upgrading to something with more undistorted power.

 

Thanks for any advice in advance..


The tube won't affect the output power much since it isn't in the output stage. Adjusting the bias voltage on the tube may help but I don't know if the Ocean is adjustable. You may have just reached the amp's normal limit with the cans you mentioned. 

post #2602 of 2605

Hej

I just found this thread while looking for an afordable amp for my old akgs.

I alread read the first 7 pages, but instead of reading the other 160 pages it would be verynic to write i little sum up..

Not only for me - also for all the other new reader of this thread.

Right now now, I'm shure if I should go for the v2 or the ocean one.

 

Could you help me a little bit out?

Also about costs after buying, better tube, lifetime.

 

I would appreciate somethig like that.

 

thx

-alex

post #2603 of 2605

To Noxlord. The Bravo V3 has rubber feet, They are not sticky enough IMHO. I am going to replace with larger, stickier feet. Will also improve the ventilation. 

post #2604 of 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirric View Post
 

To Noxlord. The Bravo V3 has rubber feet, They are not sticky enough IMHO. I am going to replace with larger, stickier feet. Will also improve the ventilation. 

stickier feet also make the amp sound more liquid... like honey! ;)

post #2605 of 2605

To Money4ME247. That's an idea! Use honey to stick the V3 in place!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps