- 747 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: London, United Kingdom
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Has anybody here heard a tube amp and not liked the sound? Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Choosing a first amp. Last post on 8/25/12 at 2:07am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What is wrong with my tube amp? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:02pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Bravo Audio Tube Amp V3 - has anyone seen it? Last post on 3/27/11 at 7:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Bravo Audio V2 Review - Big Sound in a Small Package Last post on 5/28/14 at 6:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is my first Brainwavz earphones, many thanks to Brainwavz for the review sample! When I wrote this review, I have used it for almost 2 weeks, around 2 hours daily. A happy ending...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Headphone Impedance
Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps - Page 168
The goal is to neutral and natural to original source as possible.
Measurement of transparency and subjectivity (sound impression) of transparency are very two different things. It's like the XO I'm drinking now to the scotch that I would be skulling down later.
That certainly can apply if the original recording is well engineered and produced. However, I have several classical recordings that sound awful through 'neutral' headphones with decent equipment, and have been independently reviewed as being poorly produced. For instance, remastered violins can sound bright and grating with DT880's but fantastic with HD650's.
On the other hand, some classical vocals can sound over warm and poorly projected, lacking depth, with HD650's yet are just perfect with DT880's. I am only saying these as examples where the recording is badly managed. They are both excellent headphones.
Balance can also be a problem. I have just bought a recently produced and well received recording for voice and piano where both are far to the right of the sound-stage on all my, and my friend's, equipment. Probably the recording engineer had a blocked right ear that day!
Edited by HOWIE13 - 2/22/14 at 5:11am
Another budget tube ap for you guys to take a look at, XDuoo TA-02 (MSRP $112) stock tubes are terrible, but i put some mullards in and it sounds great. Also looks sweet :) will test against my Ocean when the new one arrives.
Well actually, I just figured he was pulling my leg, so I added some humor
Actually just found out the Rock is an old end of line product.
New solid state coming next week guys.
Will be getting one to review.
- Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Matrix X Sabre DAC Price Drop! 37 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 45 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Matrix X-Sabre ESS9018 Dac with DSD support LIKE NEW [SHIPPING... 2 minutes ago
- › HD 598 or Momentum? 5 minutes ago
- › Ps4 headset 6 minutes ago
- › [FS] Cosmic Ears BA4R 6 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 7 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 8 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by earfonia
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)