- 792 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: London, United Kingdom
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Has anybody here heard a tube amp and not liked the sound? Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Choosing a first amp. Last post on 8/25/12 at 2:07am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What is wrong with my tube amp? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:02pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Bravo Audio Tube Amp V3 - has anyone seen it? Last post on 3/27/11 at 7:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Bravo Audio V2 Review - Big Sound in a Small Package Last post on 4/4/17 at 7:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
JOMO PLB (Pretty Little Beast) IEM Review - Expatinjapan `Oh you pretty things` - David Bowie Jomo Audio PLB, Opus#3 Dap and Double Helix Cable. JOMO PLB (Pretty little...
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEWS ARE CREATED BY SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM AND MORE DETAILED REVIEW CAN BE FOUND ON THE WEBSITE INTRODUCTION We reviewed the VE Monk Plus recently and fell in love with it. The...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEW ARE DONE @ SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM and more insightful review can be found on our site. INTRODUCTION If you are on a budget then you are in for some good luck because...
- Headphone Impedance
Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps - Page 159
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
My Ocean has developed some nasty crackling :(
Not sure if it's the tube, or the caps or whatever :(
I was listening to it the other day, as usual and it suddenly started crackling. It used to be only when the amp warmed up, not it is constant.
It still plays music, but the crackling is pretty bad.
is it when your smartphone is nearby? i dont think the bravo amps are well-shielded.
Tried moving my mobile away from the amp, no difference. It came out of nowhere the other day. Thinking it may be the tube, as the filaments take a while to start glowing, before they would come on pretty much instantly. And the crackling has got worse.
My bravo gets a buzz whenever I get an incoming txt even if the phone is some distance away. It actually starts maybe 1.5 seconds before the phone actually alerts me of the new message so who knows. Also is it possible it could be your headphones? Maybe try plugging them directly into the source?
So I have a feeling its the tube, I don't have a spare on hand unfortunately, will get one soon.
Henry from Bravo thinks it may be the tube, or the power supply.
I'm looking to replace the stock tube in my V2, what suggestions would you have. I've heard good things about the Groove Tubes ST-12AU7 Preamp Tube Silver but I frankly know nothing about it.
There are some general impressions of different tubes with the Bravo V2 in this thread.
I personally avoid using all new manufacture tubes. They sound crappy compared to any vintage tube. You can quote me on that I honestly didn't know any better until I tried some vintage tubes. Then I realized just how tinny and thin sounding the stock tube sounds.
You can get inexpensive vintage American made tubes from eBay for just about the same price as the newly made stuff, but the vintage tubes (of ANY kind) sound better. The older, the better (of course, you'll pay much more for really old tubes).
There is of course the law of diminishing returns, especially with an inexpensive hybrid like the Bravo. Spending a pile of money on tubes for an amp that itself only costs you around $70 bucks does seem kind of silly. But considering that you'll pay $10-$15 bucks for a brand new Chinese or Russian tube, spending $10-$15 bucks for an old vintage RCA, Sylvania, etc. is perfectly reasonable. Yes, eBay is a bit riskier than Amazon.com. But it's improved a lot since I first started using it (a long long time ago).
So. Yeah. Read the thread above, then go shopping on eBay for a couple old vintage American tubes. I suggest trying a couple, they are usually quite reasonable. You will find that each tube changes the character of sound in its own unique way.
As long as we're at it, I should mention that the 12AU7 has quite a few plug-in substitutes, that do not require any rewiring. Brent Jesse's website has a nice list of the common 12AU7 plug-in substitutes. I have personally tried the 5963's, the 5814's, the ECC82's, and I think I have one 6189.
I ran into a guy on eBay selling 5963 tubes for $2.50 each last summer. I bought a half dozen, cost me less than $20 including shipping. Amazing deal.
Of the American tubes, the Tung-Sol's and the long black plate RCA or Raytheon tubes are all very nice sounding tubes (by long, I mean 17mm plates - the 14mm are considered "short" plates). If you find any of those, they are all worth the price. I picked up a long black plate Raytheon tube, 50's vintage, for $8 bucks. You just can't beat a deal like that. It's definitely worth shopping around on ebay.
hey guys, i just receive my mullard tube n try it but somehow the sound quality is worse than the stock tube tht came wit the bravo v2...i dn feel any power or anything at all, its lik there isnt any amp connected to the headphone...
Was this a new old stock tube ? 2 things come to mind
1) Check that it does say 12AU7
2) It might be a bad tube (spent)
Depending on the Mullard (especially Blackburn plant) it should sound amazing
- Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 13 seconds ago
- › Stax SR-009 and T2 successors confirmed for spring 2017 1 minute ago
- › Audeze's new Sine DX 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 5 minutes ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further. 5 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Official X1 2nd gen stable firmware discussion thread--FW1.6.0 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear