Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Musiland 01 vs 02 for powering Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohms Last post on 9/17/10 at 3:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Amp around or below $100 Last post on 9/4/10 at 8:07am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good Amp (and/or DAC) For less than 200 USD? Last post on 9/1/10 at 4:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Musiland Monitor 02? Last post on 8/3/10 at 11:09am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Questions about the Musiland Monitor 02? Last post on 7/30/10 at 2:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
- Headphone Impedance
Musiland Monitor 02 US - Page 41
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It seems to me that only the DAC function remain enable without the powerplug, not the amp.
Nicely packaged, well protected and presented unit.
Supplied with USB cable (average) and Chinese plug (which I cut off and replaced with Aussie plug).
The unit itself is a smaller DAC 125mm (L) x 80mm (W) x 40mm (H), approximately.
Finished in a nice darker grey metal box and the connections all look like reasonable quality.
Overall for the money it looks and feels like a quality unit worth the dollars, I paid just under $150AUD including delivery.
Very simple, downloaded the latest driver from coolfungadget 188.8.131.52.
Installed the driver, plugging the unit in during the process as per the nice and clear instructions and voila unit working.
Small icon in tray (bottom left of pc screen) which when I click on brings up the various options.
Running winXP and WMP11 and have had no problems or challenges in set up and play.
I have some pretty decent speakers, (DIY using peerless dual concentric tweeter) excellent CD player and amps from Jungson. My preference is to listen to my music through CD player. Recently bought some $30 headphones for fun listening to those through onboard sound card. For PC music I was listening through a Silverstone DAC that was a hand me down.
Straight out of the box using the DAC playing into my pre-amp from PC the sound is of course much better then the Silverstone. About 10% improvement in soundstage straight away and a small increase in detail for higher frequencies. The bass has dropped a little so will be interesting to see how this changes with burn in as well as the higher frequencies.
Listening via the very average headphones was interesting as the bass is now better controlled, was very boomy before. And again there is a little more detail in higher frequencies.
I haven't previously invested much time or thought in music from my PC. However I see this unit as an excellent centre piece for starting down that road. If it can make an improvement to my $30 headphones then I expect much much more from lossless recording and improved headphones (will be ordering some DT880).
Looks like new beta drivers are out: 1.8.6b
Translation of what was updated:
Looks like the interface has been revamped and there's now a bass EQ option (5 band bass only graphic EQ).
p.s. the volume meter bar is a bit broken (it clips to 100% and doesn't fall until the music stops) in the new version. Large dpi support isn't working in the tab headings, and potentially broke the version display in the 2nd tab.
Edited by svyr - 5/7/10 at 4:45am
Hi Guys, I got my musiland 02 yesterday from China. I installed driver OK, and restart the computer, plug the cable in, the sound control panel comes out. BUT there is no sound out from neither of the headphone sockets. LED for RCA out is on but not for headphones. Any ideas of this? Is there anyway to choose either RCA out on or Headphone out on? THX guys.
There is a driver where it does partial HDCD decoding however I called them on the legality and they have backed-off. I did this because I didn't want to see open source non-profit players like foobar lose the HDCD plugin. M$ isn't a company you F with.
After i asked a couple of questions, they themselves said that "it was strictly prohibited to use the feature in the BETA driver because it has not passed Microsoft authorization".
The new driver is several times the size of the old driver. We don't know if it is hdcd.exe or an official Microsoft implementation. We will just have to wait and see what is released in the release version of the driver.
In the meantime, you can experiment...
Indeed, the new driver has a HDCD decoder. I'm enjoying my HDCD tracks anew and those I didn't know they were HDCD (like Dave Koz). Instructions on how to enable it here: http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/new-musiland-driver/
The HDCD feature is also present in their new PCI sound card which uses a 250K gate fpga (whereas the current crop of devices uses an fpga of 50K gates. In addition, the new fpga has 4 DCMs (clock managers) meaning that there is no wait in switching sample rate. You can read some of the technical info here (translate with Google toolbar): http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100001228.htm and here http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100001128.htm
Thus it appears Musiland is serious about including HDCD in their devices. Let them figure out the legal/licensing issues with Microsoft. In the meantime, those with Musiland devices, enjoy the new feature...
Edited by glt - 5/8/10 at 3:01am
I have a Musiland Monitor 02 and Dell 6400 with Windows 7 64 bit.. Musiland's version is 184.108.40.206..
My problem is, sometimes (more frequent lately) something is happening with driver and musiland doesnt work. I cant change sampling rates, cant get signal from line outs or headphone outs. Sometimes installing driver fixes it, sometimes not so i try installing and restarting a lot, at last fixes etc etc..
So is there anyone had this problem, or solved it? Or any ideas?
If I cant fix this, i will sell them and get another dac..
I updated it to 8.4 and it havent cause a problem since. Maybe this can be the reason for its problem-free, I am too careful about disabling it from device manager etc..
Edited by hasanyuceer - 5/13/10 at 5:25am
- Musiland Monitor 02 US
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Between the Gr07 & Ostry KC06A 2 minutes ago
- › Let's Discuss Your Raspberry Pi Setups 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Problem: DC Jack Ties Case to (-). Solutions? 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- ONLY 12 HOURS AWAY!!! 4 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 5 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 5 minutes ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 6 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 8 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2