Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone? - Page 16

post #226 of 445

 

No they didn't have 170. If there is no difference in bass then I would be as equally disappointed with the 170. Well disappointed maybe a bit strong, but just expected more considering the many glowing reviews. Treble is also a bit messy, but again, hopefully things will improve after burn in. How many hours burn in is needed before I should hear improvements?

post #227 of 445

what else have you used?

post #228 of 445

Hi all,

 

I'm thinking of upgrading my sound.  I would say I use my headphones at least 80% for gaming.  Right now I use a Xonar DX (Dolby Headphone) --> HD595.

 

I was thinking of trying the ATH-AD900 or the RS 180.  I really really like the idea of finally going wireless, does anyone have any advice on the sound of the RS 180 for competitive FPS gaming, or is it going to be just a sidegrade from the HD595?

 

Thanks.

post #229 of 445

 

That surprises me.  I find the bass boost adds a night and day difference in amount of thump.  I actually find that on some movies the bass boost engaged gets to be a little too strong.  I don't like the simulated surround though, it sounds a bit too hollow and not really directional. 

 

That's on my 170's.  If I were to get the 180's would that bass boost work the same way as the 170 or is this something that's specific on the 170 only? 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

The "bass-boost" doesn't mean anything, pretty-much a gimmick like the simulated surround.

post #230 of 445


The bass boost function on the RS 170 elevates the bass (at 100 Hz and below) by about 5dB. This function is not available on the RS 180. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

 

That surprises me.  I find the bass boost adds a night and day difference in amount of thump.  I actually find that on some movies the bass boost engaged gets to be a little too strong.  I don't like the simulated surround though, it sounds a bit too hollow and not really directional. 

 

That's on my 170's.  If I were to get the 180's would that bass boost work the same way as the 170 or is this something that's specific on the 170 only? 

 

post #231 of 445

A couple of questions

 

I saw a review one person made on the RS-170 and mentioned that during low dialogue in movies, sometimes the audio cut out all together.  Has anyone had that problem?

 

Also what's the timeline on the release of the newer versions?  

 

Thanks!

post #232 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post

 

No they didn't have 170. If there is no difference in bass then I would be as equally disappointed with the 170. Well disappointed maybe a bit strong, but just expected more considering the many glowing reviews. Treble is also a bit messy, but again, hopefully things will improve after burn in. How many hours burn in is needed before I should hear improvements?


Well, if you're comparing them to wired models that's not entirely fair...

There's simply nothing else wireless that comes close, or there wasn't.

There's a few other circumaural makes/models (not BT) now, that are also in a similar league.

 

post #233 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

 

That surprises me.  I find the bass boost adds a night and day difference in amount of thump.  I actually find that on some movies the bass boost engaged gets to be a little too strong.  I don't like the simulated surround though, it sounds a bit too hollow and not really directional. 

 

That's on my 170's.  If I were to get the 180's would that bass boost work the same way as the 170 or is this something that's specific on the 170 only? 
 


 

This is what I was told by reps... miniscule difference etc.

And actually IIRC, I did compare them both in-store too, I preferred the 180 overall w/a few diff. source materials.

I don't recall the bass boost function really jumping-out over the 180 for me.  *shrugs*

post #234 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpf717 View Post

Also what's the timeline on the release of the newer versions?  
 


^This! biggrin.gif  @Rosmadi

Can you at least give us a rough time-line?

i.e. Can we expect them out this year?

 

post #235 of 445

Hi jalyst

 

Our current digital wireless models (i.e. RS 160, RS 170 & RS 180) will still remain in the market for a while more. I can't give away too much but rest assure there'll be some interesting product launches very soon!  wink_face.gif

post #236 of 445

Yes but what does "very soon" mean **** it! biggrin.gif

Can't you at least confirm "this yr", or which quarter, if it's next yr?


Edited by jalyst - 8/23/11 at 11:35pm
post #237 of 445

 

I'm about to buy a set of wireless headphones, but is kind of confused. I think Sennheiser seems to be good and especially the RS-170 or RS-180 model. Which one is the best in terms of listening to music and some movie to maybe? The price is no problem...
 
And does anyone know when the next "gen" of wireless headphones from SH will be realised? Should I wait or buy now?
 
Thank you for your help.
post #238 of 445

RS180 are the best option overall if you can afford them.

 

If you want surround-sound effects just get the victor su-dh1 or mixamp* (Dolby Headphone adapters)

The 170's surround-sound effects aren't as good as Dolby Headphones.

 

I too want to know when the next-gen wireless Sennheisers are arriving.

C'mon Sennheiser, "spill the beans"!!!

 

*not sure if newest mixamp can be used w/the 180's transmitter, you'll need to check that yourself.

post #239 of 445

My wife and I bought the JS-185. This model supports two headphones which is really useful because we wanted a solution that lets our kid sleep. We have never experienced any interference between the two headphones and the quality of the audio is just perfect. In fact I think only the JS185 can guarantee lossless transmission. For those who are not familiar with the JS-185, this is a Jack Splitter for$1.85

 

 

post #240 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I too want to know when the next-gen wireless Sennheisers are arriving.

C'mon Sennheiser, "spill the beans"!!!


The beans have been spilled!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?