Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mini-Review: JMoney replacement Leather Ear Pads for Denon D2000 D5000 D7000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mini-Review: JMoney replacement Leather Ear Pads for Denon D2000 D5000 D7000 - Page 3

post #31 of 91
I did just a partial mod on mine. No stuffing in the wooden cup. Just the dynamat. No dynamat on the perforated driver mount. That part was too complicated and since the dynamat was adding too much to the phones wt. I didn't include it. With this the JMoney's worked well. I don't know about the full mod.
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
My conclusion after one day
Oh, not even a day... even a few seconds is enough
post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdr529 View Post
I felt the same way, I could not push them off no matter the force, i felt like i was gonna break something.

I got them off by feeling for the plastic ring on the narrow part at the bottom of the original pad. I rotated the pad so this would be between 2 of the hooks. I got a good grip, pushed it counter clockwise and it unhooked. I guess with this method you need to be very careful you don't pull up on the ring to much or risk breaking it.
I finally got the stock pads off by a different method: I removed the pads with the rings still in place on the frame. I then used a screwdriver to rotate the rings to get them off. It was a pain. The rings were very tight.

A lens wrench, something like Amazon.com: Spanner Wrench, Lens Ring Tool: Home Improvement might have helped but I don't have one.

Fitting the JMoney pads on the rings was easy. Now the challenge is to get the rings back on! For the moment I just have the rings resting on the frame. The whole procedure is not what I would call user friendly.

Any further suggestions would be most welcome.

Initial impressions (other than the ones on my sore hands): comfort is great, even if the leather is still stiff. I'd say fit is improved over the original. The phones don't slide around on my head. Isolation is significantly better -- this is a major factor for me.

The sound is different. Seems more "Sennheiserish" somehow. Not sure yet if this is good or bad. (Keep in mind that the earpads are not properly attached.)
post #34 of 91
swapping mine was a cinch. I like the way they sound now. To quote my girlfriend: "Wow, these headphones are so much better than mine, they don't give you a headache."

non-fatiguing, rich bass.

I don't think I'll have upgrad-itis for a while.
post #35 of 91
Thread Starter 
I'm still happy with my J$ pads on the LA7000.
post #36 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by roker View Post
swapping mine was a cinch. I like the way they sound now. To quote my girlfriend: "Wow, these headphones are so much better than mine, they don't give you a headache."

non-fatiguing, rich bass.

I don't think I'll have upgrad-itis for a while.
What procedure did you use to get the pads off and on? I've taken apart a Sennheiser and it was easy. I even put it back together.

Earlier tonight I watched a good chunk of Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End to get a sense of bass. The sound did not seem right. After the credits I realized I had PowerDVD Blu-ray audio settings misconfigured. Not the headphones' fault, but I felt a little stupid. Even with the settings corrected I did miss the impact of the headphones shaking on my head, but the sound was good.

I also played some World of Warcaft. No problems there. After several hours of various listening my ears began to hurt, but the pain has passed. I'll attribute that to the leather being new.

I listened to some rock and opera.

At the moment I'm listening to John Adams' Grand Pianola Music John Adams | Grand Pianola Music, and the low percussion is quite credible. Maybe cleaner than stock.

Now I've switched to SiRui's soundstage demo pieces (from another thread). I don't hear problems with the soundstage. If anything the instuments are not floating off the stage as much which was a concern before. I'd almost like to put the stock pads back on to check. Almost.
post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavcat View Post
What procedure did you use to get the pads off and on? I've taken apart a Sennheiser and it was easy. I even put it back together.
I kind of lifted it gently then grabbed onto it and twisted. At least that's what I did when I took the first one off. The second one I just pushed hard on it and twisted it counter clockwise while kind of holding on to the edge.

What are you using to amp them? I don't think they're hard to amp, but they are picky. So far I can only run them off my Little Dot I+. As soon as my friend gets back from vacation I'm going to borrow his NuForce Icon Mobile to give that a try. I've heard they run well off of A/V receivers but I haven't had any luck.
post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by roker View Post
What are you using to amp them? I don't think they're hard to amp, but they are picky. So far I can only run them off my Little Dot I+. As soon as my friend gets back from vacation I'm going to borrow his NuForce Icon Mobile to give that a try. I've heard they run well off of A/V receivers but I haven't had any luck.
I'm using the headphone output of the Auzentech HomeTheater sound card, modded with OPA627 opamps. The HomeTheater has a pretty decent amplifier. And now I think that I should go to bed.
post #39 of 91
Any idea why J$ is not replying my request to order pads? or usually it takes several days?
post #40 of 91
Do these pads improve in the Denon's slight leakage out in anyway? I very much like the stock sound but would be willing to try something different - especially if the leakage out is improved when I'm listening next to someone.
post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lescanard View Post
Do these pads improve in the Denon's slight leakage out in anyway? I very much like the stock sound but would be willing to try something different - especially if the leakage out is improved when I'm listening next to someone.
Not in my experience, no. Don;t get me wrong - I think the JMoney pads that are on my D7000 are great - but I don't think the improve the isolation.
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomy3555 View Post
When Sibilance or even regular sound reflects back out of a headphone. Most often a closed headphone the frequencies meet at a certain point outside your head before entering your ears. by placing the drivers farther away from your ears. the sibilance is also placed in a different position or "soundstage" and your ears hear it differently as it does all of the frequencies. This is what gives the illussion of a wider soundstage.
I am not sure that this is really the case. It appears that there are more open headphones that are described as having wider/deeper soundstages than closed. As open cans would not have this reflection phenomenon, I find the above statement a bit misleading. Frequencies meet at a certain point and then enter your head? True, but only if traveling in the same direction. How would these waves canceling out and/or amplifying give the illusion of space and the placement of sounds within that soundstage?
post #43 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachkebia View Post
Any idea why J$ is not replying my request to order pads? or usually it takes several days?
I usually PM him on head-fi and get a reply within a day or two. Try sending a PM with the subject "I want to order Denon pads". You can also see if HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories is stocking the earpads yet.
post #44 of 91
I ordered mine from Headroom this past Tuesday. They were in stock. They should be arriving any minute... (Where the heck is the UPS truck!!!)
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I usually PM him on head-fi and get a reply within a day or two. Try sending a PM with the subject "I want to order Denon pads". You can also see if HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories is stocking the earpads yet.
Yep, thats what I did. Thank you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mini-Review: JMoney replacement Leather Ear Pads for Denon D2000 D5000 D7000