Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread - Page 231

post #3451 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeVeeN View Post

I received mine about 2 weeks ago (after refitting my left ear) but I'm still noticing problems. Can different shell sizes affect sound quality / sound stage / position inside the head? Can't tell if its because of my damaged hearing (right worse than left) or it's because of the shells/drivers themselves.

The left ear (the one on the right) is approximately 1~2mm larger on the top but that's only for the outer ear part, and also the driver positions are a bit different (because of shell size). Sound-wise, sound stage actually sounds realistic with my left ear, but my right ear sounds artificial (or I can't hear it, but that's because I can't hear high frequencies well in that ear). The sound position also leans more toward the left of my head rather than centered for bass impact, vocals, and everything. It occasionally centers after a period of time or if I insert them differently, and I do not know why. Also fit still isn't perfect in my left ear generally (as when the cord gets tugged, the bass impact becomes more resonant) but I don't really have money to keep refitting (~$42 each time via EMS). They still have impact and they do isolate very well, just the impact gets slightly more intense. My right ear has a perfect fit albeit it feels much smaller in the ear and the sound stage issues.

Source is a crappy Samsung Stratosphere (lot of hiss) but no left/right channel imbalance issues (tested it with other sources, same problem).

Long story short, anyone know if it's just me / my ears or could it be caused by the shells themselves (or maybe even drivers? These are 2 years old but according to HPA, he hasn't used them for a year as he bought this pair to reshell for as a backup. Westone ES3X by the way)? 
if it's all BAs and the tube diameters/lengths are the same - it shouldn't make any difference. regarding fit though - mmm I'd probably get that redone, but YMMV on turnaround times.
post #3452 of 3892

My CIEMs are not identical to one another in terms of size. For example, from the faceplate, on the right monitor you can see the 3 drivers (bass, mid, treble) all in order, but the left monitor goes bass driver, mid driver, then the treble driver is positioned lower down. But I am told that the distances and tube lengths are all the same from left to right so it shouldn't be a worry. Also, my right monitor sticks out less while the left sticks out a tad bit more.

post #3453 of 3892

Does Chinese customs usually seize stuff that's been declared at true value? I sent my impressions and my TF10s via Express Mail international (which supposedly takes 3-5 days), and once it entered China, it literally stopped moving at all...no delivery confirmation, no further tracking...

 

Kojaku

post #3454 of 3892

The 3-5 days is just an estimate. I sent in my impressions and old IEM's in and it took a whole month.

post #3455 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcberto View Post

The 3-5 days is just an estimate. I sent in my impressions and old IEM's in and it took a whole month.

A whole month to GET there? I paid $40 for the fastest processing they had!!!

 

Kojaku

post #3456 of 3892

Well I took the cheapest route so I was to blame. But I'm sure it usually never arrives on their predicted arrival time.

post #3457 of 3892

Has anyone gotten a TF10 reshell with a 6/8 driver upgrade?

post #3458 of 3892

I got a TF10 with a 6 driver config.

 

I love it.

 

That's just about it haha.

post #3459 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfedup View Post

Has anyone gotten a TF10 reshell with a 6/8 driver upgrade?

 

Be careful. Good synergy is needed from each of the drivers to produce a good sound. Also be careful with the number of drivers, especially if they come from different sources. It took my literally 2 months to figure out my configuration, and even today I'm not liking the bass too much. It's nice and analytical sounding, but sometimes the bass fails to deliver enough impact making me think of replacing it with a Dual-low driver found in the Miracle.

post #3460 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

...sometimes the bass fails to deliver enough impact making me think of replacing it with a Dual-low driver found in the Miracle.

 

 

The Miracle bass driver is interesting - it appears decidedly small in comparison to the single-driver bass units used in competing high-end CIEMs, but it really performs well (when appropriate to the music signal). I find that provided I used a decent output stage, the bass is really majestic and convincing; so much so that I'm glad I never saw the Miracle before I purchased it - I might have been dissuaded from buying if I'd seen the bass driver and would have lost out on a great CIEM as a consequence!

post #3461 of 3892

Has anyone gotten back their reshells any quicker than the quoted 5 weeks? It just seems like such a LONG time...

 

Kojaku

post #3462 of 3892

Three and a half weeks after they received my package.

post #3463 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

 

The Miracle bass driver is interesting - it appears decidedly small in comparison to the single-driver bass units used in competing high-end CIEMs, but it really performs well (when appropriate to the music signal). I find that provided I used a decent output stage, the bass is really majestic and convincing; so much so that I'm glad I never saw the Miracle before I purchased it - I might have been dissuaded from buying if I'd seen the bass driver and would have lost out on a great CIEM as a consequence!

 

That interests me even further. I once asked Unique Melody if they were willing to put in the Merlin's Dynamic driver into my configuration and they said it'll be too much work so no. So, I'm stuck with BA drivers and the Miracle's bass driver seems really interesting. I need to do further research on which BA or BAs to use for my upgrade.

post #3464 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

That interests me even further. I once asked Unique Melody if they were willing to put in the Merlin's Dynamic driver into my configuration and they said it'll be too much work so no. So, I'm stuck with BA drivers and the Miracle's bass driver seems really interesting. I need to do further research on which BA or BAs to use for my upgrade.


Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on what kind of bass sound you like normal_smile%20.gif

 

The Miracles bass does not sound at all emphasised and does not sound overtly 'warm' or 'rich', so if that's what you're looking for then it might not be your best option. It just minds its own business and then, when a genuine bass element is present in the recording, it renders it amply but neutrally. It's difficult to explain how the Miracle is not a 'bassy' CIEM, yet it is very capable of rendering the deepest notes with aplomb, when appropriate. The most major characteristic I can describe, not just of the bass but of the entire Miracle CIEM, is a sense of majestic scale. Nothing is 'shut-in' - personally, I have never encountered a less claustrophobic-sounding IEM / CIEM. It doesn't 'show off' any part of the spectrum, it just provides an open window to whatever music you're listening to.

 

I really wish average_joe would get himself a Miracle, since he has virtually everything else in the world of CIEMs. It would be useful to know how he feels the Miracle fits in, sound-wise, in comparison to his formidable collection of competing CIEMs.

 

It's also very important to point out that the Miracles only have a decent bass response when driven by a decent output stage. As I explained in a thread 6 months ago, the Miracle bass sound loose and generally poor when driven by a Cowon J3, but sound fantastic when driven by something like a DX100 (and almost as good with a Rocoo BA)


Edited by Mython - 10/20/12 at 6:34pm
post #3465 of 3892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post


Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on what kind of bass sound you like normal_smile%20.gif

 

The Miracles bass does not sound at all emphasised and does not sound overtly 'warm' or 'rich', so if that's what you're looking for then it might not be your best option. It just minds its own business and then, when a genuine bass element is present in the recording, it renders it amply but neutrally. It's difficult to explain how the Miracle is not a 'bassy' CIEM, yet it is very capable of rendering the deepest notes with aplomb, when appropriate. The most major characteristic I can describe, not just of the bass but of the entire Miracle CIEM, is a sense of majestic scale. Nothing is 'shut-in' - personally, I have never encountered a less claustrophobic-sounding IEM / CIEM. It doesn't 'show off' any part of the spectrum, it just provides an open window to whatever music you're listening to.

 

I really wish average_joe would get himself a Miracle, since he has virtually everything else in the world of CIEMs. It would be useful to know how he feels the Miracle fits in, sound-wise, in comparison to his formidable collection of competing CIEMs.

 

It's also very important to point out that the Miracles only have a decent bass response when driven by a decent output stage. As I explained in a thread 6 months ago, the Miracle bass sound loose and generally poor when driven by a Cowon J3, but sound fantastic when driven by something like a DX100 (and almost as good with a Rocoo BA)

 

Hey, thanks for the amazing response. Yes, I am very familiar with the Miracle's bass because I had the opportunity to audition both the Merlin and Miracle demo sets. However, I found the bass to work nicely with the Miracle, but I'm still contemplating if it will work in my current setup... My UM sounds lovely, but the bass extension is a bit pathetic as the bass rolls off almost immediately after the prominent midbass. The main thing I'm looking for is extension and a fairly linear bass response, without boosted sub-bass or mid-bass. My current CIEM looks like this.

 

Bass: 3/6 in quantity, 2/6 for extension. Sonion driver... Forgot exactly which one as I lost my Freq response sheet and other info.

Mid: 5.5/6 in quantity. Really really good mids. Shure SCL3/E3c driver

Treble: 5/6 in quantity, 6/6 for extension. Hot treble, just the way I like it. TF10 tweeter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread