Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Remold Appreciation and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unique Melody Remold Appreciation and Impressions Thread - Page 174

post #2596 of 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by danzel View Post

Does the dip at 500hz affect the sound?



Personally, I think it does. (or rather it depends on your sound preferences)

I have a pair of Demo UM Aero on hand,
250250
(and keep in mind, these are loaner universal demos, not full customs)
the FR is the same as SM3x6, except without the mids dip (500hz-1.5k is straight) and there's lower end shelf boost of about 1-3db to all the frequencies below 500hz.

500

I find Aero to have less mids than I'd like (and consequently the highs are brighter than I like), but EQing down the lower end and the 300hz-1k range to mimic SM3x6, makes it very unpalatable for me. (it goes from 'I wish these had more lower mids, but I see why people might appreciate the sound signature' to, 'mmm I think I better take them off singe it's really not what I like/want')

If you're a mids person, I wouldn't recommend it, unless->

I wish UM offered a choice for what the end sound sig of the re-shells was (provided it's possible with the drivers you give them in your IEM and the drivers/cross-overs they have) rolleyes.gif
(e.g. 'dip in the mids, bumped bass and highs', 'straight mids and bass, bumped highs'... have a look at the last few pages and you get a feeling for the general flavors. E.g. SM3x6W for warm bass and mids dip, SM3x6M - for prominent mids, SM3x6SH - straight up to highs biggrin.gif )

That way they'd get a tighter match between what a customer will get from the driver upgrade and the kind of sound they prefer. (perhaps $$$ driver upgrades for custom moulded IEMs are not the best place for trying new sound sigs biggrin.gif )

(p.s. plz don't kill me, Matt biggrin.gif )

 

     and if they "did" change the acoustics, and you decided you didn't like them.... then what? 

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

Reply
post #2597 of 3878



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMelody View Post

Well, UM lab has distributors like us in order to avoid communication issues and such. 

 

We are the North American distributor while UMAus is obviously the Australian distributor. 

 

We use prices that are standardized and set by UM lab, which was asked to do so by UM lab in order to provide good service and fair prices for UM customers and build up a reputable brand name at the same time. 

 

Website link is in my signature and contact info is on the website. 

 

Cheers. 

 



 



     So UM/Aus has staff that can communicate in Chinese?

 

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

Reply
post #2598 of 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post



 

     and if they "did" change the acoustics, and you decided you didn't like them.... then what? 

If for the driver upgrades, there was a choice of at least the sound sig 'flavour' (and maybe a list of potential no-nos - e.g. you could be extremely sensitive to 4-5khz peaks, or something), and I picked one (let's say something like Aero + a mids bump), then it would be more or less my problem, since I asked for it wink.gif
(theoretically and alternatively it would probably be possible to send it back to UM to re-tune, but then I'd probably pay for some of the shipping and or labour/parts costs smily_headphones1.gif ?
Again, theoretically, since I don't know how easy it is to tune the built IEMs without changing the crossovers or drivers).

I think, there's a better chance that you'll like the flavour you picked, then buying the house sound SM3x6 and hoping you like it (especially before the graphs were out wink.gif ).
(then again, maybe supposing customers know what they want is a bit far fetched biggrin.gif ). I think it's a matter of whether you can articulate your needs clearly to them (in the sense that it's hard to know what works for you and what doesn't until you try it sound-wise)


As for UMAus - so far my experience matches Stix's. They provide high quality and timely service, working very hard that you leave a satisfied customer. (especially considering I'm probably not the easiest customer to deal with biggrin.gif )


>So UM/Aus has staff that can communicate in Chinese?

I'd say - yes. Otherwise how would they talk to UMLab in China? (well, there most probably is someone there who speaks English, but both seem equally likely to me)
Edited by svyr - 4/26/11 at 2:30am
post #2599 of 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post




Are you guys able to clarify the details of the direct order to UMLab in China?  I'm assuming if someone went with this, they will have to pay for shipping, customs, etc plus handle the details of ordering process, etc etc.  So even though it is cheaper, I'm assuming there are risks involved?

 

For everyone else, I personally think the guys at UMAus are awesome and if you want the order handled properly, definitely use them!

 


Cheers Stix!

If you wish to order directly through UMlab in China, or through a few of our re-sellers that do not receive orders on UM's behalf, you may be liable for a couple of things.

1- Postage. You will need to pay for international postage to UMLab. This varies in Australia from $20 for airmail (uninsured, untrackable and slow) to $120 for FedEX (can be insured, trackable and quick)

2- Impressions. Here in Australia at least, (unsure of other re-sellers) we have a strong network of audiologists that supply, package and ship your impressions to our head office here in Melbourne, saving you time, money and ensuring your impressions get to us safely.

3- Re-fits. As per Unique Melody Australia's policy, if you visit one of our certified audiologists and you need a re-fit, you will not incur ANY cost, including the cost of your second, third or fourth etc audiologist appointment. If you choose to supply your own impressions or are from another country unfortunately you will need to pay to have your impressions taken again.

4- Lost Items. Unique Melody Australia insures all of our packages. If you send your TF10's to us and they go missing, hey, we buy you a new set of TF10's. If your SM3's go missing...we buy you another set of SM3's. It's as simple as that. Once the item is in our possession, we take full responsibility for the IEM, until it returns back to you!

Apart from this, naturally, being able to talk (yabber) all day to us is no problem, you can bounce ideas, thoughts etc off us and we'll do everything within our power to help you out. We ensure clear communication with UMLab to make sure you get what you want!...nuff said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post



 



     So UM/Aus has staff that can communicate in Chinese?

 


Naturally in order to handle your orders to the best of our capabilities...we need to have a good line of communication with UMLab. To answer your question, yes we have chinese speakers on board...plus..some of us know a little German and British. We're also trying to pick up American, but its hard =p
Edited by UniqueMelodyAus - 4/26/11 at 6:49am
post #2600 of 3878

Anyone know if the custom cable sockets (Westone, UE customs, etc.) fits regular UE cables? Looking to use the TF10 vi cables, but don't want to lose the ability to also use the custom cables, as they look they are built a lot nicer than the regular universal UE cables.

post #2601 of 3878

Well they finally arrived....re-moulded Shure SE530. It has taken almost exactly 2 months to get them back, but I've got to say that so far it has been worth the wait. I have literally only just received them, so have only a few minutes of listening done but so far so good. They are comfortable and the sound is exceptional.

 

Not sure how many people from the UK have attempted to order from unique melody recently, but it is now run through AmpCity.

 

Anyway, as I haven't had much chance to listen yet I'm not going to comment much on the sound, but I thought some pics might be appropriate so here you go:

 

DSC04933.JPGDSC04937.JPG

DSC04938.JPGDSC04939.JPG

DSC04940.JPGDSC04942.JPG

DSC04943.JPGDSC04944.JPG

DSC04945.JPGDSC04946.JPG

 

Thanks

 

Mike

post #2602 of 3878



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMelodyAus View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post




Are you guys able to clarify the details of the direct order to UMLab in China?  I'm assuming if someone went with this, they will have to pay for shipping, customs, etc plus handle the details of ordering process, etc etc.  So even though it is cheaper, I'm assuming there are risks involved?

 

For everyone else, I personally think the guys at UMAus are awesome and if you want the order handled properly, definitely use them!

 




Cheers Stix!

If you wish to order directly through UMlab in China, or through a few of our re-sellers that do not receive orders on UM's behalf, you may be liable for a couple of things.

1- Postage. You will need to pay for international postage to UMLab. This varies in Australia from $20 for airmail (uninsured, untrackable and slow) to $120 for FedEX (can be insured, trackable and quick)

2- Impressions. Here in Australia at least, (unsure of other re-sellers) we have a strong network of audiologists that supply, package and ship your impressions to our head office here in Melbourne, saving you time, money and ensuring your impressions get to us safely.

3- Re-fits. As per Unique Melody Australia's policy, if you visit one of our certified audiologists and you need a re-fit, you will not incur ANY cost, including the cost of your second, third or fourth etc audiologist appointment. If you choose to supply your own impressions or are from another country unfortunately you will need to pay to have your impressions taken again.

4- Lost Items. Unique Melody Australia insures all of our packages. If you send your TF10's to us and they go missing, hey, we buy you a new set of TF10's. If your SM3's go missing...we buy you another set of SM3's. It's as simple as that. Once the item is in our possession, we take full responsibility for the IEM, until it returns back to you!

Apart from this, naturally, being able to talk (yabber) all day to us is no problem, you can bounce ideas, thoughts etc off us and we'll do everything within our power to help you out. We ensure clear communication with UMLab to make sure you get what you want!...nuff said!


Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post



 



     So UM/Aus has staff that can communicate in Chinese?

 




Naturally in order to handle your orders to the best of our capabilities...we need to have a good line of communication with UMLab. To answer your question, yes we have chinese speakers on board...plus..some of us know a little German and British. We're also trying to pick up American, but its hard =p


     Sounds like a lot of good features, free-impressions if a re-fit is required, warranty for lost postage....  etc etc

    

 

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

Reply
post #2603 of 3878
If I were to send the package to you from where I am in San Diego, Ca., USA, how would the shipping work? Would I just pay to Australia and then after it arrives to you, am I then responsible for additional shipping costs for shipment to China? If I were to insure the package at full value, would it get hung up in Australian customs like it would be in China?
post #2604 of 3878

I'd like to let all you guys (and gals) know, I spoke to Stephen Guo, the US rep for UM to order the TF10 mods and he was very friendly and cooperative, answering politely and patiently all my questions.  I then paid him for UM for reshelling and adding 1 driver. I had difficulty finding the correct color swatch for what I wanted on the internet. The best I could do was to copy the code #s for the colors but not the colors themselves and state on the order form what website that code refers to. I couldn't figure out how to copy the color itself. Stephen Guo burned the midnite oil just to figure out how to get this done and when he did, he immediately sent back to me, a revised order form, now ready to be printed and shipped with my order. I give him a hearty recommendation!

post #2605 of 3878

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post

If I were to send the package to you from where I am in San Diego, Ca., USA, how would the shipping work? Would I just pay to Australia and then after it arrives to you, am I then responsible for additional shipping costs for shipment to China? If I were to insure the package at full value, would it get hung up in Australian customs like it would be in China?

 

Once your Impressions arrive to us in Australia, we take care of the rest...you pay nothing more than what is sent out to you in our official quotation.  Shipping back to you and shipping to China is all inclusive in our final quotes, you will only need to pay for postage to us in Australia.  As long as your items are worth less than $1000AUD then they will be held up in customs.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripvanlink View Post

I'd like to let all you guys (and gals) know, I spoke to Stephen Guo, the US rep for UM to order the TF10 mods and he was very friendly and cooperative, answering politely and patiently all my questions.  I then paid him for UM for reshelling and adding 1 driver. I had difficulty finding the correct color swatch for what I wanted on the internet. The best I could do was to copy the code #s for the colors but not the colors themselves and state on the order form what website that code refers to. I couldn't figure out how to copy the color itself. Stephen Guo burned the midnite oil just to figure out how to get this done and when he did, he immediately sent back to me, a revised order form, now ready to be printed and shipped with my order. I give him a hearty recommendation!



Great news, we hope you really enjoy your TF10x4 when they arrive and props to Stephen for helping you out.  Good to know our re-sellers are looking after our clients!


Edited by UniqueMelodyAus - 5/1/11 at 6:11pm
post #2606 of 3878

I've been enjoying my SM3X6 lately. The sound is very relaxing and my brain have adopted to its sound signature. Thanks to UMAus for this. :)

post #2607 of 3878
Fromm what I've seen and heard on this web forum, I would like to send my TF10 to UMaus but alas, I've already paid the US rep, so I would assume (make an ass of you and me) that I'll have to risk it now with the iffy proposition of sending my TF10 to China with the $30 insurance. I'm willing to take the risk, but still... I'm still somehow hoping I can send it to our Aussie friends. It feels safer and worth any extra money I would have to pay (hint hint) so if you're listening UMaus...
post #2608 of 3878
From my understanding you have to send your package to Australia if you want to go through UMaus right? does not make sense, because it is going to take even more time.
post #2609 of 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachkebia View Post

From my understanding you have to send your package to Australia if you want to go through UMaus right? does not make sense, because it is going to take even more time.

maybe he pays less tax AUS->US than CN->US biggrin.gif ...
post #2610 of 3878

hey guys, I know profanity isn't allowed here but mind if I use it on myself?

 

F%@# ME!

 

I've had my remolded C3pros for a month now? and I just stepped through my front door with my right side dangling as I chatted with my mom, and the cable just detached itself from the custom, and I watched it bounce on my living room smooth tiled floor. Looking under halogen light I noticed a long crack running down the side of the canal tip, and I can feel the edge of it if I try.

 

Incredibly damn frustrated with myself at this point.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Remold Appreciation and Impressions Thread