or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony CD3000 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony CD3000 Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 385
It looks like he is here to make a buck. No price posted sort of shows that
post #47 of 385
but don't you need 50 posts to sell in here?! or rules have changed? and Italy is one of the worst countries for cold deals

if you're fast enough, it usually goes for $500..or $550 if it's really mint
post #48 of 385
I don't think there is a 50 post minimum anymore to sell
post #49 of 385
Thread Starter 
Well, I've finally got my silver-plated cables on the CD3000. Was it worth it? Yes!! But it scared me at first. When I first hooked everything up, it sounded terrible - dull and lifeless, and much worse than the stock cable. Before despairing totally, I'd thought I'd try a break-in and I'm glad I did. After about 3 hours, it sounded much better than the stock cable, and it seems to be getting better and better the more I use it. I never knew wire needed to be broken in, but now I do.

The words I would use to describe the new sound are: grander and sweeter. But oddly, not brighter as I expected. It actually seems slightly warmer, if anything. The soundstage is definitely bigger and deeper (on top of the already huge soundstage for the CD3000). Every instrument just seems bigger. It's also louder with the same volume settings. The sound is pleasantly sweeter and a bit more detailed across the entire range, and the bass definitely has more slam. It's seems better in every way. But now I'm wondering if maybe I should have gotten the pure silver wire instead of the silver-plated. Maybe it would be too bright, I dunno. This upgrade only cost me $40 for the wire and the plug. Pure silver would have been over $100.

I still have lots of work to do - soldering temporary twists and getting sheathing around the wire, and maybe even another plug. But as it stands, this upgrade is a keeper and I would definitely recommend it!
post #50 of 385
Thread Starter 
....Amazing. it just keeps getting better and better each hour I listen to it. Now the imaging is much better, and I can pick out instruments and detail easier in the larger soundstage. The larger soundstage just seems so relaxing and smooth and sweet - you can just wallow in it. Wow. I never thought my CD3000 could sound this good.
post #51 of 385
Thread Starter 
Last post for tonight - this upgrade has been incredible. I think it raised the CD3000 at least two notches higher. It's a different higher-level headphone now. There's not a thing this upgrade didn't improve. Soundstage, imaging, bass, even vocals have much more presence and detail. It's like everything you listen to is live. The soundstage is spread so wide, you can pick every detail out. I'm hearing things I never could with the old cable.

I wonder if the thickness of the wire has anything to do with it (in addition to the silver). This new wire is 22 AWG, but the old wire was much thinner. Well, that's it for tonight. I'll leave everything running to keep breaking it in overnight.
post #52 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by warubozu View Post
^ Congrats on getting a pair, they do sound sweet. What type of wood and cable did you get on yours?
Purple heart and a pure sound cable,I am still of an open mind as to where the differences from stock are coming from,is it the cable,the cups,or is it both.
It matters not where it comes from,all I know is that it makes a great phone sound even better,and they look impressive to.
Might have to start hunting around for another amp as the Aria is on the warm side,which makes some recordings a bit on the bright side.
But I think that listening to Emma Shapplin a Soprano singing in latin will be slightly bright on any phone.

How about amps to suit them must be SS,am not into the valve scene.
post #53 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
Last post for tonight - this upgrade has been incredible. I think it raised the CD3000 at least two notches higher. It's a different higher-level headphone now. There's not a thing this upgrade didn't improve. Soundstage, imaging, bass, even vocals have much more presence and detail. It's like everything you listen to is live. The soundstage is spread so wide, you can pick every detail out. I'm hearing things I never could with the old cable.

I wonder if the thickness of the wire has anything to do with it (in addition to the silver). This new wire is 22 AWG, but the old wire was much thinner. Well, that's it for tonight. I'll leave everything running to keep breaking it in overnight.
Makes you wonder why Sony pulled them off the market,The SA5000 is no match,and its there top phone now,not to take anything away from them because I love there sound,am waiting for a cable to arrive so I can recable them,the dreaded Y splitter again.

Glad you are loving them,its a whole new ball game.
post #54 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Don't want to spoil the fun guys, but for how much are they going these days, USD 500-600? Well, for that money I would try some other closed back, like W5000.
My biggest issue with CD3k was that they were artificial sounding with very odd feeling that the sound came from some kind of hole.
Nothing to stop you trying whatever you want,there are people who LOVE the sound and are not interested in trying every other closed back phone on the market.

The name of this thread is Sony CD3000 Appreciation Thread.
post #55 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post
The SA5000 is no match,and its there top phone now
it's been phased out I think, maybe the next serie will not disappoint?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
I wonder if the thickness of the wire has anything to do with it (in addition to the silver). This new wire is 22 AWG, but the old wire was much thinner. Well, that's it for tonight. I'll leave everything running to keep breaking it in overnight.
SPC from navships? got the url please?
I've always wanted to try this one: 25' 22 AWG Shielded Silver Kapton Teflon Wire 2 Twisted - eBay (item 380111542106 end time Sep-14-09 07:59:40 PDT)

and I really don't wanna go dual ended, so changing the wire between the 2 cups would be impossible anyway..
post #56 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post
Makes you wonder why Sony pulled them off the market,The SA5000 is no match,and its there top phone now,not to take anything away from them because I love there sound,am waiting for a cable to arrive so I can recable them,the dreaded Y splitter again.
Really? I have both Sony's and both recable. To me the SA5000 is less colored, less bright. Though being open, it has a warmer tone than the CD3000. Don't get me wrong, I still love the CD3000 but its one of those 32 ohm headphones that sounds its best with a capable amplifier. It also has that perplexing mid range. Sometimes it's to die for and sometimes it just sounds awkward.
post #57 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post
It also has that perplexing mid range. Sometimes it's to die for and sometimes it just sounds awkward.
I like this, there's some truth in it. When switching back and forth between the CD3000 and something a little more neutral like a K701 or ER4, the coloration of the sound becomes more obvious. But more often than not, I end up just sighing and relaxing because the CD3K sounds so... right.
post #58 of 385
first I have to say that I'm not a cable believer...that TWCu wire + furutech left me bitter

anyway, I'll prolly open a separate thread to avoid cloaking this one...but a friend of mine modded his cd3k to hell, and I've followed both his advices and Germania's...and my cd1k sounds pretty damn fine at this point

it's amazing how going from 5mm to 6.5mm of foam makes A HELL of a difference in the FR

too much foam = too much low end bass = killing trebles details

no foam at all = wonky mids, plastic resonances to HELL

just the right amount(half less than stock) = killer percussive low end, natural mids, very clear and detailed trebles....ahhhh Ed Rush never sounded this good
post #59 of 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2 View Post
Purple heart and a pure sound cable,I am still of an open mind as to where the differences from stock are coming from,is it the cable,the cups,or is it both.
It matters not where it comes from,all I know is that it makes a great phone sound even better,and they look impressive to.
Might have to start hunting around for another amp as the Aria is on the warm side,which makes some recordings a bit on the bright side.
But I think that listening to Emma Shapplin a Soprano singing in latin will be slightly bright on any phone.

How about amps to suit them must be SS,am not into the valve scene.
I think biggest change comes from the cable upgrade. The earcup mods also has a role but not to such a huge extent as the cable upgrade IMO. I think silver plated copper is an excellent choice as a cable upgrade for the CD3K's. It will improve on details, bass slam and speed, and soundstage without making the cans sound too bright. I have pure silver cable in my Headphile CD3K's and do love the improvements it has brought onto them. However, with certain recordings the pure silver cable makes the cans sound a bit brighter than they already are to my ears. I swapped the 12AX7 tube for a Bugle Boy 7316 and kept the stock 6SN7's in my RSA Stealth to hit the sweet spot in my woody CD3K's without them sound too bright.
post #60 of 385
I'm still pretty amazed by how very small defects(glitches, drops, musician turning one page of their score, background noises) were so unbearable on the DT770/600Ω...and are hardly audible on the cd1k

one seems to focus on analyzing audio faults, the other one on "music"...and yes trebles are very detailed, just not on faults
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony CD3000 Thread