I am not a fan of W4 but if I was able to add an amp, I would take W4 over JH5. If not able to use an amp I would take JH5.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JHA consumer experience thread (Positive=Yes, Negative=No) Last post on 3/22/12 at 2:28am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hi! Please recommend some custom IEM's for this newbie . . . . Last post on 8/5/11 at 2:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sell me on IEM's, bad live experiences Last post on 3/15/11 at 2:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Earsonic SM3 vs. JH5 PRO Last post on 9/6/10 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- My Jaben Visit - a noob's impression on several IEMS Last post on 8/14/10 at 11:19pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
JH Audio JH5pro thread - Page 55
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #812 of 12158/4/11 at 9:10pm
I haven't heard the w4 but I think it's incorrect to think of them as a universal version of an ES5. Westone's 'monitor' universals start with UM and the driver configuration is completely different with a dissimilar # of drive units for every range.post #813 of 12158/4/11 at 9:20pmQuote:
^post #814 of 12158/4/11 at 9:52pmQuote:
Maybe Spyro has heard them both amp'd and unamp'd.post #815 of 12158/4/11 at 10:40pm
as for the es5 and westone 4, i was just referring to a few things i read where apparently it was westone's goal to reproduce the es5's sound in a mass produced universal - yes i realize the driver configuration is completely different with the es5 having a single bass driver and dual mids and highs. mainly for sound signature and presentation i believe.
anyhow, i don't believe in using amps for my J3, as it already has a ton of power and I've tried a couple of 4-500 dollar amps where i really could not for the life of me, tell the difference between amped and unamped. bass on the westones are tight and controlled as is, and imaging and separation is superb. I honestly believe amps are simply placebo for IEMs especially with a well powered hp out on the J3.
that aside, how are the characteristics on the Jh5 vs westone 4, specifically for vocals and instrumental separation?
you guys say it is more like choosing a flavour/colour than a question of one being better than the other... so what are characteristics of both? which one is more laid back and which one more engaging? would the JH5s sound more like bassy se535s?post #816 of 12158/4/11 at 10:47pmQuote:
Where did you read that? I've only read a few people who didn't know what they were talking about 'hope the W4 is a universal ES5'. Westone has never said that and I've never read that from anyone worth the salt. That's just completely false and should not be spread around. Listen to an ES5 demo and a W4 and hear the difference.
post #817 of 12158/5/11 at 5:33am
Wasn't directed at Spyro. Has he heard or mentioned the ES5? Creamsoda made the remark that spawned mine.
Edited by goodvibes - 8/5/11 at 5:34ampost #818 of 12158/5/11 at 6:58am
i went back to re-read the two articles and it turns out i was just misreading them about the es5s vs w4! oops.
and as for "would the JH5s sound more like bassy se535s?" i was asking if jh5s sounded more like bassy versions OF se535s, not se535s-that-i-find-bassy. lol
and as for the ex1000 being in the same sort of edgy, forward signature or something closer to the jh5s, I would be willing to try them if it were not for my fit problems with them and their lack of isolation. I did like their sound when I demoed them though, and as a custom I'm pretty sure I'd be fully satisfied with the JH5s.
Naim.F.C. outlines almost exactly what i hear of the westone 4s...
"Extremely articulate and analytical signature. Great instrumental separation, wide, airy soundstage and detailing but imo at the expense of some vibrancy and musical fun. The audio signature is flat to slightly instrumental heavy (as oppose to vocals or bass). Clarity is fantastic, though nothing really pops. Everything is smooth, well behaved or even timid. High's lack the ut-most sparkle and bass doesn't have exacting punch, though both are still very controlled and balanced. Vocals are textured and smooth but sometimes emphasis is drawn away in favour of other instruments. Slight veil over sonic presentation adding some warmth."
as long as the Jh5 can be more forward, musical and keep the instrumental separation and detail of the westone 4s (minus the mids veil and vocal recess), i'd be set! that's my main purpose of asking everyone here. would the Jh5 be what i'm looking for then?post #819 of 12158/5/11 at 7:27am
awesome, that settles it. also, my experiences with amps with yours might be quite different as we use different sources - my cowon doesn't exactly have a line out so i'd be double amping if I did anything through my J3. If I didn't have it, I'd definitely consider a LOD with my iP4 as well as a nice entry level amp i.e. JDSlabs or Fiio e11. AFAIK the J3 has a very high output power.
I'd be going to the audiologist as recommended by JHAudio on their website so that shouldn't be a problem at all. Thanks for your help! I may be back with first impressions and whatnot later on.post #820 of 12158/6/11 at 1:18am
The problem with a lot of portable amps is they aren't doing what they are supposed to do and only getting in the way or bottlenecking. If you are using a phone that can benefit and have an amp that can deliver the difference is clear.post #821 of 12158/6/11 at 5:16ampost #822 of 12158/6/11 at 7:04am
Quote:Originally Posted by cliffroyroycole
For me, they completely work. And there are others who agree. One HFer heard them recently via demo model and was not that impressed, another one (goodvibes) really likes them. I can only speak for myself and say I am completely happy with the JH5s. Most important for customs, in my view, is getting a very competent audiologist for impressions. I was lucky and had the JH5s back within a week of the impressions (I ordered the clear stock JH5s, No interest in artwork, etc.). I hate to say go for it if it turns out you don't like then is my main concern. But can I recommend them if you are going to get customs anyway? Yes.
As for the Sonys, I forgot you tried them out and yes, fit and feel is important. I have the 7550s and love their sound, but I use Comply foamies (Ts200s) and get a very good seal and iso. The main hangup is wind noise and they are just not easy to use out and about.
My main hangup is asking if the JH5s deliver the same detail as the W4s. I would say yes. And musical? I think so, for sure.
But I haven't heard a W4 and didn't listen that long so while I value my own opinion, LOL, I'm a big proponent of getting an audition. When I heard them there was a stubby stiff foam tip that I could install so that it wasn't absorbing and rather rigid. Not comfortable at all, the way I shoved them in but I was more concerned with a proper audition. I bet they thicken up a lot with stock IEM type tips.
Edited by goodvibes - 8/6/11 at 7:05ampost #823 of 12158/6/11 at 4:36pmpost #824 of 12158/13/11 at 8:55am
Just a question, how's the vocals on the JH5 sound? Just afraid a lack of a mid driver would leave a void in the vocals. I'm pretty much set jumping onto the JH5s soon, so yeah just to make sure. I'm going for a reshell of a jh5, from a friend of mine. Would it be better if i send it back to westone for reshelling or send it to UM for reshelling?post #825 of 12158/13/11 at 9:08amQuote:Originally Posted by ahmadmfz
Just a question, how's the vocals on the JH5 sound? Just afraid a lack of a mid driver would leave a void in the vocals. I'm pretty much set jumping onto the JH5s soon, so yeah just to make sure. I'm going for a reshell of a jh5, from a friend of mine. Would it be better if i send it back to westone for reshelling or send it to UM for reshelling?
Some times I prefer the vocals of the JH5 them I do with my JH13s. And why don't you go direct with JH AUDIO with 2 years warranty and another good things for just $399.00 + Molds + shipping ?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH Audio JH5pro thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further. 58 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 3 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Dapper for Mac updates: App to sync iTunes with your DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 8 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 8 minutes ago
- › Welcome one and all! Please introduce yourselves! 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear