Not sure how you're measuring a 50hz hum but at 60hz it's usually a ground loop. Depending on your building and electrical receptacle it might not be the Mini-i....then again there are always a small number of glitchy units from even the best companies.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone pre-ordered the DACmini-PX yet ? Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 8/1/11 at 1:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best $500 for K701s? Last post on 7/27/10 at 3:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I want to thank @Todd of TTVJ for this wonderful surprise, and opportunity to review the fine Elear. It was a wonderful 7+ days, which I thoroughly enjoyed; extended due to a weather delay. Best...
Bought my Fiio X5 and it worked great for a few months, then one day, it got very hot ! so I sent it back for a warranty replacement, and it worked great until for just over a year, and now the...
AMPSANDSOUNDS KENZIE- what....a....WEEK! The Kenzie is handmade in Southern California with U.S.-sourced parts and custom hand-wound output transformers from Transcender, out of Hollister, CA....
Following the HD600s, I had simply obtained the Superlux 668b as a point of comparison and reference, as it is a well know and popular budget Headphone. My brother also uses a pair that he swears...
In an age where (multi-driver) hybrids are all the rage, the G3 is a single dynamic from a maker known for well-regarded, modestly-price earbuds. I bought these after reading the frenetic praise...
Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp - Page 67post #991 of 104112/9/12 at 10:28pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #992 of 10411/11/13 at 11:39ampost #993 of 10412/12/13 at 12:27pmpost #994 of 10413/9/13 at 7:30pmpost #995 of 10413/10/13 at 6:02pmpost #996 of 10413/18/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
I assume you mean upgrading the USB ability as I don't see where the Bifrost is an upgrade to the sp/dif in/output especially if using the Matrix as DAC only into a balanced amp.
I haven't heard the Bifrost yet but neither have I heard much difference in DAC SQ with those I have heard near this price point. I'd probably buy a good USB/SP-DIF converter and keep the Matrix until I could afford a better balanced DAC.
The balanced configuration has brought the biggest overall improvement to my ears, but as always YMMV.post #997 of 10413/18/13 at 1:21pmpost #998 of 10413/18/13 at 2:25pm
Thank you guys.
Actually I have used Matrix connected to LD mkvii+ to drive HE-400, and the SQ is very good to my ears.
Recently I purchased Musiland monitor US 02, which solves the bottleneck of SQ for USB input.
I should more study of Bifrost for my new Lyr which is comming soon.post #999 of 10413/18/13 at 6:15pm
As you have the Musiland maybe see how the Lyr sounds with it before spending more. I don't know how the Musiland performs but it seems a decent component. There have been some big advances in converters lately.
You may already have the sound your looking for with the Lyr alone as it should introduce a tube's unique euphonic signature. Maybe if you're going single ended a new SE DAC is in order; it's your money after all.
I've almost cured my upgraditus since having a set-up pretty close to yours (HD650s vs. HE-400s). The new cable has really tightened/brightened things up (as I already mentioned) so I hope to be listening happily for awhile yet.
Good luck with your purchase.post #1000 of 10413/20/13 at 6:25amQuote:
The guy I bought my cable from sold a Gungnir/Mjolnir combo just before I snagged the silver poison 4 pin. If I'd had the money to spare I might have bitten but I think I'll need to hear something costing that much before buying it!
Is the Gungnir a big step up or are we hitting the diminishing return wall pretty hard? Hope this isn't considered a thread jack...I'm just curious about the Schiit gear.post #1001 of 10413/20/13 at 1:22pm
For myself, the Gungnir was an incremental upgrade sonically over the Mini-i. It has a little more weight to the sound, and a bit more extension in the frequency extremes while keeping the musicality that I was accustomed to with the Mini-i. It is also balanced, it has the form factor I desired, and it came in at the right price point for me. I am satisfied with it and think it sounds great, but a couple of more features would have put it over the top. But then it would have been more expensive.post #1002 of 10413/20/13 at 7:22pm
I was looking for the comparison review between Bifrost and Matrix mini, but I could not find any.
But I finally purchased a Bifrost to match my new Lyr.
I was too brave to do that.
I now need to sell one of those same functioning devices.
Those are Little Dot mkvii+ and Matrix mini.
Those machines has been good enough for listening to HE-400, DT990-600 ohms.
What I am listening to those new set of Schiits is simply a subtlety.
The subtlety is hardly explainable, because it all represents the 2nd or 3rd order quantity, which is not the 1st order one.
This is reason why so many head firers try to explain by using so-many words of not-well defined set of words...
Like airy, colored, timbers, and sound stages, which are not expressible with a number or numbers.post #1003 of 10413/25/13 at 12:03amQuote:Originally Posted by grokit
For myself, the Gungnir was an incremental upgrade sonically over the Mini-i. It has a little more weight to the sound, and a bit more extension in the frequency extremes while keeping the musicality that I was accustomed to with the Mini-i. It is also balanced, it has the form factor I desired, and it came in at the right price point for me. I am satisfied with it and think it sounds great, but a couple of more features would have put it over the top. But then it would have been more expensive.
Haven't been on the forum for awhile until today so a belated thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll be keeping the gear I have as it seems a pretty hefty price for a minor upgrade (as suspected). I'm really happy with the improvement in SQ from the Silver Poison cable so I'm just going to enjoy the music and stop fussing for awhilepost #1004 of 10413/27/13 at 6:09pmI am waiting my toxic cable for my He-5le.
I did not believe cable impact of SQ, but now I do what I did not know enough.
Matrix mini is good enough even in comparison to nowadays latest DAC.
If there is some difference, the nature of it is very subtle.post #1005 of 10414/1/13 at 3:41pmQuote:
It's nice to hear from someone who is willing to admit that just because you spend more money it doesn't always make a big difference. I'm sure you will be happy with the cable upgrade. To my ears it has had the most significant positive impact on SQ since balancing the HD650s. I realize others don't share my preference for a balanced configuration but the HD650s seem to really benefit from it.
Edited by Hellenback - 4/1/13 at 3:51pm
- Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock,... 20 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 22 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 4 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Why are flagship headphones so expensive now? 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › TRS > TRRS Adapter - Can you still use the Microphone? 8 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 8 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear by ngoshawk
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by GhostPhantom
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by ngoshawk
- › Superlux HD-668 B by snapacap
- › TY Hi-Z G3 by loomisjohnson
- › Accutone Pisces BA Hybrid IEM by crabdog
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear