Not sure how you're measuring a 50hz hum but at 60hz it's usually a ground loop. Depending on your building and electrical receptacle it might not be the Mini-i....then again there are always a small number of glitchy units from even the best companies.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone pre-ordered the DACmini-PX yet ? Last post on 8/26/11 at 3:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Earning up for my first system - DAC + Amp for Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 8/1/11 at 1:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best $500 for K701s? Last post on 7/27/10 at 3:34pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide
Last edited: 12/7/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp - Page 67post #991 of 102212/9/12 at 10:28pmpost #992 of 10221/11/13 at 11:39ampost #993 of 10222/12/13 at 12:27pmpost #994 of 10223/9/13 at 7:30pmpost #995 of 10223/10/13 at 6:02pmpost #996 of 10223/18/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
I assume you mean upgrading the USB ability as I don't see where the Bifrost is an upgrade to the sp/dif in/output especially if using the Matrix as DAC only into a balanced amp.
I haven't heard the Bifrost yet but neither have I heard much difference in DAC SQ with those I have heard near this price point. I'd probably buy a good USB/SP-DIF converter and keep the Matrix until I could afford a better balanced DAC.
The balanced configuration has brought the biggest overall improvement to my ears, but as always YMMV.post #997 of 10223/18/13 at 1:21pmpost #998 of 10223/18/13 at 2:25pm
Thank you guys.
Actually I have used Matrix connected to LD mkvii+ to drive HE-400, and the SQ is very good to my ears.
Recently I purchased Musiland monitor US 02, which solves the bottleneck of SQ for USB input.
I should more study of Bifrost for my new Lyr which is comming soon.post #999 of 10223/18/13 at 6:15pm
As you have the Musiland maybe see how the Lyr sounds with it before spending more. I don't know how the Musiland performs but it seems a decent component. There have been some big advances in converters lately.
You may already have the sound your looking for with the Lyr alone as it should introduce a tube's unique euphonic signature. Maybe if you're going single ended a new SE DAC is in order; it's your money after all.
I've almost cured my upgraditus since having a set-up pretty close to yours (HD650s vs. HE-400s). The new cable has really tightened/brightened things up (as I already mentioned) so I hope to be listening happily for awhile yet.
Good luck with your purchase.post #1000 of 10223/20/13 at 6:25amQuote:
The guy I bought my cable from sold a Gungnir/Mjolnir combo just before I snagged the silver poison 4 pin. If I'd had the money to spare I might have bitten but I think I'll need to hear something costing that much before buying it!
Is the Gungnir a big step up or are we hitting the diminishing return wall pretty hard? Hope this isn't considered a thread jack...I'm just curious about the Schiit gear.post #1001 of 10223/20/13 at 1:22pm
For myself, the Gungnir was an incremental upgrade sonically over the Mini-i. It has a little more weight to the sound, and a bit more extension in the frequency extremes while keeping the musicality that I was accustomed to with the Mini-i. It is also balanced, it has the form factor I desired, and it came in at the right price point for me. I am satisfied with it and think it sounds great, but a couple of more features would have put it over the top. But then it would have been more expensive.post #1002 of 10223/20/13 at 7:22pm
I was looking for the comparison review between Bifrost and Matrix mini, but I could not find any.
But I finally purchased a Bifrost to match my new Lyr.
I was too brave to do that.
I now need to sell one of those same functioning devices.
Those are Little Dot mkvii+ and Matrix mini.
Those machines has been good enough for listening to HE-400, DT990-600 ohms.
What I am listening to those new set of Schiits is simply a subtlety.
The subtlety is hardly explainable, because it all represents the 2nd or 3rd order quantity, which is not the 1st order one.
This is reason why so many head firers try to explain by using so-many words of not-well defined set of words...
Like airy, colored, timbers, and sound stages, which are not expressible with a number or numbers.post #1003 of 10223/25/13 at 12:03amQuote:Originally Posted by grokit
For myself, the Gungnir was an incremental upgrade sonically over the Mini-i. It has a little more weight to the sound, and a bit more extension in the frequency extremes while keeping the musicality that I was accustomed to with the Mini-i. It is also balanced, it has the form factor I desired, and it came in at the right price point for me. I am satisfied with it and think it sounds great, but a couple of more features would have put it over the top. But then it would have been more expensive.
Haven't been on the forum for awhile until today so a belated thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll be keeping the gear I have as it seems a pretty hefty price for a minor upgrade (as suspected). I'm really happy with the improvement in SQ from the Silver Poison cable so I'm just going to enjoy the music and stop fussing for awhilepost #1004 of 10223/27/13 at 6:09pmI am waiting my toxic cable for my He-5le.
I did not believe cable impact of SQ, but now I do what I did not know enough.
Matrix mini is good enough even in comparison to nowadays latest DAC.
If there is some difference, the nature of it is very subtle.post #1005 of 10224/1/13 at 3:41pmQuote:
It's nice to hear from someone who is willing to admit that just because you spend more money it doesn't always make a big difference. I'm sure you will be happy with the cable upgrade. To my ears it has had the most significant positive impact on SQ since balancing the HD650s. I realize others don't share my preference for a balanced configuration but the HD650s seem to really benefit from it.
Edited by Hellenback - 4/1/13 at 3:51pm
- Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › What Amp For Beyerdynamic DT990 250-Ohm 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 3 minutes ago
- › Suggest a portable DAC / amp for my over-ear setup? 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital