Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Sennheiser HD 448.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Sennheiser HD 448. - Page 7

post #91 of 201
Icic but how about in terms of comfort? I have to say the bose on-ears are amazingly comfortable, at least for me
post #92 of 201
The Senns are very comfy too, no clamping at all, soft pads and headband padding, you can wear them for hours at a time with no problem. I'd imagine in the summer they would get a bit hot, as all closed headphones do, but nothing unbearable. They've been great this winter, keeping my ears warm
post #93 of 201

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post
The Senns are very comfy too, no clamping at all, soft pads and headband padding, you can wear them for hours at a time with no problem. I'd imagine in the summer they would get a bit hot, as all closed headphones do, but nothing unbearable. They've been great this winter, keeping my ears warm
Thanks, i will get mine.
post #94 of 201

448s guts

After six months I went ahead and threw my warranty out the window: I present to you the guts of the HD448. I'm not really sure what can or should be modded, so I turn to the more experienced head-fiers out there.

I'm thinking that some additional fabric lining/wool/padding behind the little driver enclosure would enhance isolation a bit, I guess I'll try that.
Also, taking a cue from the PC350 modding thread, which seem to have a similar makeup, how would a hole or two in the housing influence bass?

I've got some research to do for now, will post more pictures/details if anyone asks.
LL
LL
LL
post #95 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post
After six months I went ahead and threw my warranty out the window: I present to you the guts of the HD448. I'm not really sure what can or should be modded, so I turn to the more experienced head-fiers out there.

I'm thinking that some additional fabric lining/wool/padding behind the little driver enclosure would enhance isolation a bit, I guess I'll try that.
Also, taking a cue from the PC350 modding thread, which seem to have a similar makeup, how would a hole or two in the housing influence bass?

I've got some research to do for now, will post more pictures/details if anyone asks.
On the top portion of the rear of the internal driver enclosure is a piece of what looks like tape mesh. If you remove that, it significantly increases bass output. However, if you are using the stock pleather earpads the bass can be really boomy with this removed. However, replacing the Pleather earpads with the HD418/438 velour earpads alleviates this, revealing significantly improved power handling and bass depth, with less of the plasticky nature of the HD448 remaining.

EDIT: Additionally, putting some dynamat or other similar damping material in the surrounding chamber behind the driver enclosure should allieviate any resulting resonances and improve bass control. I don't have dynamat on hand to try this however.

--Eric
post #96 of 201
Thanks for pointing that out, Eric. I'm experimenting with those holes right now, hadn't really noticed that before, I was kind of nervous so I put them back together to listen for any signs of destroyed headphones.
I can't really swap the earpads, they're not available here in Romania.
I'll report my findings later.
post #97 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, Eric. I'm experimenting with those holes right now, hadn't really noticed that before, I was kind of nervous so I put them back together to listen for any signs of destroyed headphones.
I can't really swap the earpads, they're not available here in Romania.
I'll report my findings later.
You may want to experiment with covering the holes with different fabrics, as they seem like they are crucial to controlling the bass. I tried a suede-like microfiber cloth material and taped the fabric to the enclosure, making sure not to cover the holes, and it seems to control the bass better while at the same time providing a slightly bassier tonality with the stock pleather earpads. other fabrics would probably affect the tonality and bass control, so it is best to experiment with different fabrics.

--Eric
post #98 of 201
ATM, I've just sealed the outer holes with some tape and left the middle one open, with no damping added, and I must say the results are pleasing to my ears. Never thought I was a basshead but it seems I did miss bass in these cans. Further experimentation will have to wait until tomorrow, it's 3 am over here.
post #99 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post
ATM, I've just sealed the outer holes with some tape and left the middle one open, with no damping added, and I must say the results are pleasing to my ears. Never thought I was a basshead but it seems I did miss bass in these cans. Further experimentation will have to wait until tomorrow, it's 3 am over here.
I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: That seems to be the best mod so far that I have tried. The bass is more controlled, but fuller at the same time. The power handling limitations still are there, but I don't think anything will fix that.

--Eric
post #100 of 201
I did another quick change, leaving one hole (towards the front) open, one covered with the original mesh (middle) and one sealed with tape, and I do believe the sound is just perfect for me: the bass has improved, but it's balanced nicely by the mids and highs, which remained pretty much the same. Also I noticed a dramatic headstage improvement with this setup and better instrument separation. It's like they've become closed and more refined HD238s. I'll leave them like this for now, because I really love it like this.

edit: Listening to some orchestral music right now, I'm really amazed with the soundstage.
post #101 of 201
Can you explain, step by step, how you did this mod?

I feel the same way about bass. I didn't realize how much I enjoy it, perhaps because I have bad memories of a boomy pair of cheap headphones. I recently started boosting the bass on my 448s simply by using my iTunes EQ and applying the classical or rock settings, depending on what I'm listening to. The difference is clear, and the extra boost on both ends of the spectrum makes me happy. Some classical has big percussion moments, for example, or deep cello/bass-driven sounds. It comes out more in the EQ on.

Try Strauss's Heldenleben, for example. It's much better with the boosted bass provided by the EQ.
post #102 of 201
Gladly.

First you take off the earpads: grab by one edge and pull, gently but firmly, up and towards the center of the pad. It should come out, eventually

Second: Take a philips screwdriver and poke around the foam until you find the screw holes. See picture in one of my above posts for the exact location of the screws. Press down through the thin layer of foam until you get a grip on the screws and carefully take them out, without ripping too much foam off. I don't think it has any effect on the SQ, but I'd rather not maim my cans too much. Now that you've got the screws off, lift the driver housing gently, taking care not to rip the wires out. Shouldn't be a problem, actually.

Third: On the driver housing there is a mesh tape in the rectangle, with 3 small port holes underneath. Remove it carefully, turn 90 degrees and place it with a mesh part over the middle hole, so as not to obstruct the hole. The goal is to turn 3 covered holes into 1.
Leave the hole that's towards the "front" of the can uncovered and take a small square of adhesive tape (I used electrical insulation tape), placing it on the 3rd hole, the one towards the back. Press firmly on everything. Put everything back together and see if it works for you.

Hopefully I'm still coherent at this hour. If not, I'll put up a video tomorrow

Enjoy and share your opinions, please.

DCofficehack, I think you'll appreciate this mod for the improvement in soundstage.
I'm listening to Holsts' Planets and going wow a lot.
post #103 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post
I did another quick change, leaving one hole (towards the front) open, one covered with the original mesh (middle) and one sealed with tape, and I do believe the sound is just perfect for me: the bass has improved, but it's balanced nicely by the mids and highs, which remained pretty much the same. Also I noticed a dramatic headstage improvement with this setup and better instrument separation. It's like they've become closed and more refined HD238s. I'll leave them like this for now, because I really love it like this.

edit: Listening to some orchestral music right now, I'm really amazed with the soundstage.
I tried it and they sound very nice now. Good job!!

--Eric
post #104 of 201
edit: Better than the HD595?

Thanks. Have some spare dampening fabric around? I'll try that out tomorrow, I guess.
post #105 of 201
I looked at your pics and can't figure out which holes you're talking about. If you do have time for a video, I'd be very grateful.

Take apart my cans? Gulp. I guess that would make me a true head-fi-er.

ZMD, get your hands on Strauss's Heldenleben. It's lush, dramatic, full of powerful horns and percussion. A very good test for a head-phone's abilities.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Sennheiser HD 448.