Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro - Page 15

post #211 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I put 14 more days of burn-in into the AMP3 and now have over 610 hours on the AMP3 (the 275 plus another 336 or so). I have NOT listened to the AMP3 since the last time I reported on it here. I have to admit that when I plugged in the ES3X tonight to listen for the first time in 2 weeks, I was not looking forward to it and was expecting the same forward bright sound that I've come to expect from it. Well, the AMP3 DAP/Amp sound signature changed as much in 600 hours of burn-in as my RSA Predator, which I also didn't like out of the box and barely at 300 hours. Both amps have set a record for longest burn-in (besides my Woo WA6 and ALO Amphora with Vcaps and Blackgates).

This does NOT sound like the same DAP/amp I heard two weeks ago. It is now useable with all three IEM in terms of sound signature, and the sound quality is probably closer to that of the Meier Headsix now instead of worse than the Nuforce Icon Mobile. I think I will pull that amp out later to compare the two. Before, with only 275 hours or less, the UE11Pro were the only ones out of the three that were useable with the AMP3 because of the frequency response, and even then it was not very smooth or refined sounding. But that has now changed. When HiFlight recommended 600 hours he wasn't kidding.

Other than the hiss with ES3X, which is still far too much (but much better with JH13Pro and UE11Pro), the AMP3 sounds very nice with ES3X now! Gone is the sibilance with Eva Cassidy, Kate Ceberano, and Diana Krall. The too forward nature is also improved and it sounds more open and transparent. This is a huge change, nothing subtle about it. If not for the hiss with the ES3X I could live with this sound. A Westone volume attenuator helps cut the low volume hiss by reducing the sensitivity, but with IEM a very detailed IEM like this I somehow feel like I am missing a little something when I use it.

Switching to the UE11Pro proves that the AMP3 is still a good choice for those IEM - with better tighter bass control without excess or lack, non-recessed mids, and no more sibilance although there is a nice shimmery sparkle to the treble which is not too bright. The UE11Pro have much less hiss with the AMP3, and a volume attenuator is not mandatory to kill the amount that gets through. Out of the three IEM I still feel the UE11Pro are the best ones to use with the AMP3.

The JH13Pro sound better than before as well, with hiss that like the UE11Pro is still well below that of the ES3X. The only odd thing is that the AMP3 brings the JH13Pro bass impact down to the level of the ES3X now, with a little more sparkle in the highs vs the ES3X. I still would not say it is too bright anymore.

So there you have it - two weeks ago I was ready to sell the AMP3 if it didn't improve, and today I don't think I will do that now. It's now a viable option for listening to any of the three flagship custom IEM (although you may need a volume attenuator for hiss). Plus it looks very rugged and and could make a decent "toss about" MP3 player and amp. The AMP3 also does very well with portable over the ear headphones like SR-60, HD-25-1 and Nuforce UF-30.
Just got the AMP3 plugged it into my computer, downloaded Joan Baez, Pete Fountain Dixieland Jazz Flamenco and a score of other music and tried to listen to it. No manual made if a mystery how to play it. I went to head fi and found a review where it said to press and hold the round button and so it opened.

JH13 plugged into the AMP3

First the sound. The details of the imaging in space are sculpted as if vivid crisp sounds of a Myriad of locations each distinct and clear sprinkled spherically in a rain of music to delight the soul in perfection not hitherto heard, every tincle every bass every mid they all pour out seamlessly. Not like I was there in real space but as if transported to a pure music space where there are only expectations of surprise and the fulfillment or the dispersed instruments dancing from a sphere of locations creating the experience that makes me fulfilled. Finally there is what I want to ask.... What took everyone so long to find this combination? I am in satisfaction heaven and I want to say no more.... can you sense my enthusiasm?!!!!

A tad of brightness?? debating with my ears, that I am glad to hear has evened out with time, but I am delighted nevertheless.
post #212 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride1685 View Post
haha i wish...no, just a pair of technics rp-dh1200 that i sold awhile back with some dj equipment. cool looking phones and i could run them over with a truck but they pale in comparison to the setup i run now.
my dj1pro would never survive that. i came from the wonderfully constructed beyer dt770 and dt880 to the dj1pro and am mostly pleased with the sound (95,43%), but the build and fit are horrid for my head.

give them a try if you can. wonderful.
post #213 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungFree View Post
Just got the AMP3 plugged it into my computer, downloaded Joan Baez, Pete Fountain Dixieland Jazz Flamenco and a score of other music and tried to listen to it. No manual made if a mystery how to play it. I went to head fi and found a review where it said to press and hold the round button and so it opened.

JH13 plugged into the AMP3

First the sound. The details of the imaging in space are sculpted as if vivid crisp sounds of a Myriad of locations each distinct and clear sprinkled spherically in a rain of music to delight the soul in perfection not hitherto heard, every tincle every bass every mid they all pour out seamlessly. Not like I was there in real space but as if transported to a pure music space where there are only expectations of surprise and the fulfillment or the dispersed instruments dancing from a sphere of locations creating the experience that makes me fulfilled. Finally there is what I want to ask.... What took everyone so long to find this combination? I am in satisfaction heaven and I want to say no more.... can you sense my enthusiasm?!!!!

A tad of brightness?? debating with my ears, that I am glad to hear has evened out with time, but I am delighted nevertheless.
Thanks for the feedback about AMP3 and JH13Pro.
post #214 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungFree View Post
First the sound. The details of the imaging in space are sculpted as if vivid crisp sounds of a Myriad of locations each distinct and clear sprinkled spherically in a rain of music to delight the soul in perfection not hitherto heard, every tincle every bass every mid they all pour out seamlessly. Not like I was there in real space but as if transported to a pure music space where there are only expectations of surprise and the fulfillment or the dispersed instruments dancing from a sphere of locations creating the experience that makes me fulfilled.
I honestly don't know what any of that means.
post #215 of 343
Time to brush up vocabulary.
post #216 of 343
Yeah, that's it.
post #217 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
I honestly don't know what any of that means.
I think "tincle" is meant to be spelled "tinkle". That must be what threw you off.
post #218 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
I honestly don't know what any of that means.
Well, it was kinda like that post Asr made about the JH13Pro elsewhere, being all flowery and such. But hey, let them have fun.
post #219 of 343
People are free to have their fun. I'm free to like it when reviews make sense.
post #220 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungFree View Post
First the sound. The details of the imaging in space are sculpted as if vivid crisp sounds of a Myriad of locations each distinct and clear sprinkled spherically in a rain of music to delight the soul in perfection not hitherto heard, every tincle every bass every mid they all pour out seamlessly. Not like I was there in real space but as if transported to a pure music space where there are only expectations of surprise and the fulfillment or the dispersed instruments dancing from a sphere of locations creating the experience that makes me fulfilled. Finally there is what I want to ask.... What took everyone so long to find this combination? I am in satisfaction heaven and I want to say no more.... can you sense my enthusiasm?!!!!
I'm with The Monkey here...

I know what the words mean but that makes me even more confused.

Does anyone that speaks like this realize what goes into a recording? How eventually someone says "screw it, bury that a little deeper in chorus and delay, I just can't nail that part" and that is what is printed on the master that people gush over like this? Holy crap, it's recorded music, with microphones, a mix engineer deciding on panning, jacking up equalizers and smashing stuff into compressors. Everyone here seems hell bent on recreating the spatial image of a stage area but that isn't what the recording engineer and producer are trying to do, they are trying to make it sound bigger and put more artificial ear candy stuff in to impress people.

Get a grip, it is a bunch of human's best shot at putting the most emotion forward that they can muster out of a song and arrangement at that particular point in time.

Music is amazing and can transport us to a more peaceful or exciting place, but leave the diarrhea of the mouth out of it.
post #221 of 343
yes, that is one of the worst cases of 'uber adjectivation' I have ever seen. when language is used like that, it takes all the power out of the words.

all the same TyRip, yes there is certainly a majority of recordings that are produced in this manner, but it is not the only way (thankfully) there is still artistry going on, although it does at times flounder in a sea as deep as my short black the art of recording is not dead, but certainly it is on life-support. one must look past the major labels though, that is for certain.

I can understand the need to sing about these JH13's though, they are absolutely wonderful
post #222 of 343
Amazing review, definitely got me drooling all over my keyboard. Superb writing as always.
post #223 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU View Post
Amazing review, definitely got me drooling all over my keyboard. Superb writing as always.
Thanks! I think I worked harder on this review than any other previous review. I tried to take the criticisms sent to me regarding previous reviews and avoid the mistakes of the past.
post #224 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yes, that is one of the worst cases of 'uber adjectivation' I have ever seen. when language is used like that, it takes all the power out of the words.

all the same TyRip, yes there is certainly a majority of recordings that are produced in this manner, but it is not the only way (thankfully) there is still artistry going on, although it does at times flounder in a sea as deep as my short black the art of recording is not dead, but certainly it is on life-support. one must look past the major labels though, that is for certain.

I can understand the need to sing about these JH13's though, they are absolutely wonderful
IMO, it's all about two different approaches to recording. Approach #1 is "Recreating a stage performance, or recreating musicians in a room." Approach # 2 is "the speakers are the instrument." Both approaches are valid, especially for the various genres of music. The second approach is getting more common, but there are still many recordings that use the first approach, and those are the ones that benefit most from soundstage and imaging.

That said, there is plenty of production that is simply crap, and the approach taken gives it no excuse for being crap. But there is also lots of great stuff out there.

(Just my two cents.)
post #225 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
IMO, it's all about two different approaches to recording. Approach #1 is "Recreating a stage performance, or recreating musicians in a room." Approach # 2 is "the speakers are the instrument." Both approaches are valid, especially for the various genres of music. The second approach is getting more common, but there are still many recordings that use the first approach, and those are the ones that benefit most from soundstage and imaging.

That said, there is plenty of production that is simply crap, and the approach taken gives it no excuse for being crap. But there is also lots of great stuff out there.

(Just my two cents.)
Right, I agree that there are many approaches, and many crap producers and engineers, I was just pointing out that I personally think the recording and production company shoots for the "band in a room" 100% accurate, not enhanced at all type of sound for less than 5% of records, and probably way less than 1% even.

They may start there, but when something sounds good to be enhanced they go with it, and that is almost all of the time. Just pointing out I think the gold standard of audiophile measurement "does it sound like a band in a room" is ridiculously flawed, and overused in reviews and comments on a particular IEM or can's spatial representation (imaging).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro