Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 430

post #6436 of 8727

That's not out of the question, and in fact was the original plan, but DIY home upheaval means this option is not practical this side of Xmas.

post #6437 of 8727

It has been a while since I logged on this site and I've been playing "catch-up". The BHSE has been working flawlessly BTW. Very enjoyable!

 

For those discussing balanced vs unbalanced connections here is an excellent summary - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/buying-guide/xlr-cable-just-cable-right

 

I prefer Mogami Gold Studio cable and I use the same wires throughout the studio and the house. The machine room has a patch bay that allows me to route the signal wherever I need it. Right now I need a pair of jacks at my desk because that's where the BHSE is located. I'm using 50' mic cable runs to some jacks in the studio right now and then another 125' (approximately) of cable in the walls back to the rack with the source gear.

 

From "The Professional Recording Studio Manual by Roger Ginsley: "The main problem with unbalanced systems (RCA) is that they have an inherent problem called 'common-impedance coupling' whereby the 'second' (or ground) connection carries not only the audio signal but also the power line current." This is bad. It's nothing new and audio engineers have known this since the beginning of time.

 

A proper XLR circuit using shielded cable will reject noise and eliminate the above problem because it separates the audio from the ground connection. It results in a pure signal that does not degrade even over long distances and rejects noise that in an unbalanced system will simply get added to the audio signal. It has a lower noise floor (more audio signal and less noise) and is absolutely preferred in a studio environment.

 

It's actually not a mater of debate. XLR connections are superior technically and in practice. You don't need to worry about that. Balanced connections will outperform your unbalanced connections. You can cheat by using very short runs of unbalanced cable but the above problem does not go away. The simple fact is that unbalanced equipment is less expensive to make but it always contains this flaw. Consumer audio equipment has standardized around unbalanced connections but not because it performs better. 

 

Having said all of that, please don't worry about unbalanced connections if you are using them. They work and many people don't have any issue with them. Some will even argue they prefer them and I think that's all just fine. I just happen to use balanced throughout and I have cable and routing issues that the standard stereo listener may not have.

post #6438 of 8727

Have the 220v units started shipping yet?

A friend was asked to paid the remainder awhile back and he hasn't heard from Justin since =/.

post #6439 of 8727

the first ones are burning in now. ive emailed everyone that is receiving one from the first 220v shipment to confirm shipping addresses. those emails will go out weekly

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #6440 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point489VAC View Post
 

It has been a while since I logged on this site and I've been playing "catch-up". The BHSE has been working flawlessly BTW. Very enjoyable!

 

For those discussing balanced vs unbalanced connections here is an excellent summary - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/buying-guide/xlr-cable-just-cable-right

 

I prefer Mogami Gold Studio cable and I use the same wires throughout the studio and the house. The machine room has a patch bay that allows me to route the signal wherever I need it. Right now I need a pair of jacks at my desk because that's where the BHSE is located. I'm using 50' mic cable runs to some jacks in the studio right now and then another 125' (approximately) of cable in the walls back to the rack with the source gear.

 

From "The Professional Recording Studio Manual by Roger Ginsley: "The main problem with unbalanced systems (RCA) is that they have an inherent problem called 'common-impedance coupling' whereby the 'second' (or ground) connection carries not only the audio signal but also the power line current." This is bad. It's nothing new and audio engineers have known this since the beginning of time.

 

A proper XLR circuit using shielded cable will reject noise and eliminate the above problem because it separates the audio from the ground connection. It results in a pure signal that does not degrade even over long distances and rejects noise that in an unbalanced system will simply get added to the audio signal. It has a lower noise floor (more audio signal and less noise) and is absolutely preferred in a studio environment.

 

It's actually not a mater of debate. XLR connections are superior technically and in practice. You don't need to worry about that. Balanced connections will outperform your unbalanced connections. You can cheat by using very short runs of unbalanced cable but the above problem does not go away. The simple fact is that unbalanced equipment is less expensive to make but it always contains this flaw. Consumer audio equipment has standardized around unbalanced connections but not because it performs better. 

 

Having said all of that, please don't worry about unbalanced connections if you are using them. They work and many people don't have any issue with them. Some will even argue they prefer them and I think that's all just fine. I just happen to use balanced throughout and I have cable and routing issues that the standard stereo listener may not have.

+1  Exactly…… Thank you Point489VAC for adding additional excellent information and reinforcement to my posts regarding the superiority of balanced to non balanced 

post #6441 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy Jonesy View Post

+1  Exactly…… Thank you Point489VAC for adding additional excellent information and reinforcement to my posts regarding the superiority of balanced to non balanced 

Agreed if one is speaking of true balanced (differential) circuit topology versus "faux-balanced" which, unfortunately, is all too common in many of the components that feature XLR inputs and/or outputs.
post #6442 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyllp33 View Post


Agreed if one is speaking of true balanced (differential) circuit topology versus "faux-balanced" which, unfortunately, is all too common in many of the components that feature XLR inputs and/or outputs.

+1 Yes only for true balanced (differential) circuit topology which is I am assuming the BHSE and GS-X Mk2 have ! 

post #6443 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnutz View Post
 

Have you tested the wiring to make sure it was install correctly? You can buy cheap testers that plug right into the receptacle to verify this.

 

+1  To test all the tube ports and the outputs from the headphone ports / jacks and compare with what you should get (from the design values) will verify if the Stax headphones are receiving the correct voltage and current.   

post #6444 of 8727

Well I don't have a tube tester and anyway I'd have thought the simplest step would be to test the headphone output socket, as that point is the culmination of the entire amp. Assuming that's a good first test, what is it I should be measuring to show if the amp is performing correctly or not? Above the usual balance/offset of course.

post #6445 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
 

the first ones are burning in now. ive emailed everyone that is receiving one from the first 220v shipment to confirm shipping addresses. those emails will go out weekly

Hi Justin:

 

Just wondering if you knew when the last of the 110volt units will be shipping out?  I just want to make sure I didn't miss a fedex notification email from you :-)

 

Anil

post #6446 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by anil View Post

Hi Justin:

Just wondering if you knew when the last of the 110volt units will be shipping out?  I just want to make sure I didn't miss a fedex notification email from you :-)

Anil

+1, mine went on the burn in rack several weeks ago.
post #6447 of 8727

sorry i have fallen behind. i did set up a 2nd location to burn in twice as many amps at the same time. that process for the latest amps is done and now i just have to do the final electrical/audio testing of those amps. if you got the email your amp is still shipping 

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #6448 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
 

sorry i have fallen behind. i did set up a 2nd location to burn in twice as many amps at the same time. that process for the latest amps is done and now i just have to do the final electrical/audio testing of those amps. if you got the email your amp is still shipping 

Cool, thanks!

post #6449 of 8727
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
 

sorry i have fallen behind. i did set up a 2nd location to burn in twice as many amps at the same time. that process for the latest amps is done and now i just have to do the final electrical/audio testing of those amps. if you got the email your amp is still shipping 

Any of these going to Australia, Justin? I didn't get the email but it's probably because I purchased it through Addicted to Audio. My unit is non Alps.

post #6450 of 8727

yes

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition