Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 376

post #5626 of 6679
Not exactly the same, but I have a tubed DAC which uses 5687 tubes (small pre amp types. I tried many
new manufacture as well as many NOS and in almost all cases the NOS tubes were much better.
In my case, the 1958 Tungsols were slightly better to a lot better than everything else NOS,
and wiped the floor with new manufacturer that I tried.

I would not say they were brighter or more detailed, rather more sophisticated and smoother especially in
the treble. It is easy / less risky with pre-amp tuibes as they run at less volts and typically last 3000 - 4000 hours.

Buying NOS power amp tubes may be more challenging, but if you can get a good quad set from a reputable
dealer, they will I am sure, outlast new manufacture by a good margin.

I have never had a tube callapse with NOS.
post #5627 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyllp33 View Post
 

I am still wondering about the reliability and longevity of the PV tubes; sound notwithstanding...I know from experience that NOS (UK) Mullards were built for the long-haul. 

 

With that being said I do not have any to use in the BHSE at the moment but from what I gather in that circuit they should last many, many years.

 

So yes, still more expensive than a set of the PV's but not outrageously so; and with this level of amplification the difference in price becomes even more negligible, relatively speaking.

Different perspective...

 

For someone who's listening 8 - 10 hours (per day) during the week, I would rather find something more cost effective during work hours when I'm not so focused on the music.


Edited by Golfnutz - 7/19/14 at 2:01pm
post #5628 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyllp33 View Post
 

I am still wondering about the reliability and longevity of the PV tubes; sound notwithstanding...I know from experience that NOS (UK) Mullards were built for the long-haul. 

 

With that being said I do not have any to use in the BHSE at the moment but from what I gather in that circuit they should last many, many years.

 

So yes, still more expensive than a set of the PV's but not outrageously so; and with this level of amplification the difference in price becomes even more negligible, relatively speaking.

 

i've never had someone with a BHSE tell me they had a problem with one of the stock Mullard re-issue (Russian) EL34s. if i shipped with PV tubes, it would probably be a disaster. I don't know how much profit would be enough for that to be something i would ever consider. 

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #5629 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
 

i've never had someone with a BHSE tell me they had a problem with one of the stock Mullard re-issue (Russian) EL34s. if i shipped with PV tubes, it would probably be a disaster. I don't know how much profit would be enough for that to be something i would ever consider. 

 

Given all the comments here about EL34 PH and other PV tubes, that sounds like a wise decision.  BTW I wanted to upgrade to the Shuguang Treasures if you are still doing that.  My email is in the stack there somewhere.

post #5630 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Thanks for posting your comments.  I'm glad someone is able to confirm my findings.  I do like the PV tubes a great deal on my BHSE but ultimately I prefer the presentation of the Nos Mullards better.  I do agree with you that the voicing on the PV is more upfront compared to the NOS tubes.  One of the area that I find the SR009 a tad lacking is the soundstage width & depth and the NOS tubes that I'm using able to enhancethe depth & width by a considerable degree.  For David, it may not matters b/c his source easily out class mine.

Purk, I believe your BHSE's current EL34 tubes are Holland-made XF3 (Sittard, Netherlands), not the British-made Mullard (Blackburn factory) XF3. Not sure whether yours may be the same XF3 design licensed from Mullard, perhaps with much of the tooling also from Mullard, but with a different base and getter. Both are excellent tubes, though there are likely to be some sonic differences that will come down to personal preference. This guy seems to love your Holland XF3's, in fact preferring them to the British Blackburns:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20EL34/EL34.htm


When I had speaker amps that ran EL34, I had some Blackburn XF2 and XF3; they were awesome but also quite warm sounding, and thus not a great match for systems that were already warm (that would not describe the typical BHSE/009 setup, btw). 


Edited by mulveling - 7/19/14 at 4:40pm
post #5631 of 6679
Purk's tubes came from me, they are XF4s, which were made after XF1s and before the first run of XF2s, a very special tube and only bested in some ways by metal base tubes.
post #5632 of 6679

At least I think that is what he is still using, but I may be wrong?

 

Interesting XF history here, I have 6 sets of the earlier XF4s:

 

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20EL34/EL34.htm

post #5633 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubliss View Post
 

At least I think that is what he is still using, but I may be wrong?

 

Interesting XF history here, I have 6 sets of the earlier XF4s:

 

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20EL34/EL34.htm

Ah yes, you're correct...and I believe Purk told me XF4 as well, but somehow my brain is scrambling small details more than usual as of late :(

The Holland-made brown-base double D-getter EL34 on that page are exactly what Purk's tubes look like.

post #5634 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post
 

Given all the comments here about EL34 PH and other PV tubes, that sounds like a wise decision.  BTW I wanted to upgrade to the Shuguang Treasures if you are still doing that.  My email is in the stack there somewhere.

 

I expect the PHs were never on the cards for Justin, since the quality issues were raised very early on - and we all know Justin's views on quality.

However, if Justin waits a while longer for a few more impressions of the MBs, and those impressions stay positive, then he really does need to give them a go, maybe as option for the next batch. IMO, they are so comfortably ahead of the Treasures and at less than half the price, that it's a no brainer.

 

However, Rico613, if you still want the Treasures anyway, you can have mine at a bargain price. They have been operationally faultless and they sound better than stock, but I've got no reason to keep them after having got used to the PHs and now MBs.

post #5635 of 6679

 

Purple BHSE from the San Francisco meet, represented by Peter James. photo by amb.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #5636 of 6679

That looks sick :D.

I'd be worried about any coloration of the sound though ;).

post #5637 of 6679

Purple porn 

 

Ali

post #5638 of 6679

May have missed it a while ago but what exactly is this MB tube people are discussing?

post #5639 of 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_500 View Post

May have missed it a while ago but what exactly is this MB tube people are discussing?
Mesa Boogie I believe.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/5250#post_10572497

http://www.head-fi.org/t/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/5250#post_10570086
Edited by Audio Jester - 7/20/14 at 8:00pm
post #5640 of 6679

For those thinking of trying the MBs, but didn't take notes from the posts from a couple of weeks back, then see the section about colour coding in my post #5487.

You don't get the option to choose the colour when ordering from most suppliers, so you have to tell them. It seems to matter, as Golfnutz reckoned his Blues were smoother than the Greys.

I've only got the Blues (!), but had I understood the grading before ordering, I'd probably have gone for the Whites.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition