Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 350

post #5236 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Before selling the GS-X MK2, you owe yourself to listen to the HD800 through it in balanced form.  No, the HD800 + GS-X MK2 is not a match to the SR009 + BHSE, but it is one heck of combo that can easily be an end-game to many headphile out there.

^ What he said. :smile:

post #5237 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

Before selling the GS-X MK2, you owe yourself to listen to the HD800 through it in balanced form.  No, the HD800 + GS-X MK2 is not a match to the SR009 + BHSE, but it is one heck of combo that can easily be an end-game to many headphile out there.

The GS-X is boxed up ready for sending, but assuming it wasn't, I'd still have to get hold of an HD-800.
post #5238 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post


The GS-X is boxed up ready for sending, but assuming it wasn't, I'd still have to get hold of an HD-800.

 

I sure wish you have a chance to try out the HD800 with your GS-X MK2 by now.  I didn't think much of the HD800 initially, but it is one of my favorite headphones now once powered by GS-X MK2 especially in balanced mode.  Bass quality & quantity are no longer of issues.  The sound is very integrated & coherent from top to bottom.  Justin really did an amazing job with the GS-X MK2, of course, just like his BHSE.  If you like his Pico with HD600, you gotta love his highest end dynamics amp with the HD600 or HD800 for that matter.  I don't even bother turning on the BHSE these days, b/c the GS-X MK2 + HD800 just sound that sublime.

post #5239 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

I sure wish you have a chance to try out the HD800 with your GS-X MK2 by now.  I didn't think much of the HD800 initially, but it is one of my favorite headphones now once powered by GS-X MK2 especially in balanced mode.  Bass quality & quantity are no longer of issues.  The sound is very integrated & coherent from top to bottom.  Justin really did an amazing job with the GS-X MK2, of course, just like his BHSE.  If you like his Pico with HD600, you gotta love his highest end dynamics amp with the HD600 or HD800 for that matter.  I don't even bother turning on the BHSE these days, b/c the GS-X MK2 + HD800 just sound that sublime.

:eek:

post #5240 of 6442
Wow, it MUST be a big improvement them!

One of the things I find with Stax is the way I can enjoy the sound for long periods. I never heard dynamics get close yet. I stand to be corrected though. And yes, the HD800s are cheap for what they are supposed to offer, as is the LCD2.

Which for many probably kills the lower Stax range off maybe? Not for classics or vocals maybe, but probably for dance / electronic / rock.

I think speakers are like this as well, once you get beyond the 5k US price tag. Some are leaning towards a certain type of presentation, and few do everything for all types of music to all ears.

It sounds unusual for a Stax 007 or 009 user particularly with a BHSE to go back to a HD800 rig. But this is the facinating thing about this hobby right?
post #5241 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

I sure wish you have a chance to try out the HD800 with your GS-X MK2 by now.  I didn't think much of the HD800 initially, but it is one of my favorite headphones now once powered by GS-X MK2 especially in balanced mode.  Bass quality & quantity are no longer of issues.  The sound is very integrated & coherent from top to bottom.  Justin really did an amazing job with the GS-X MK2, of course, just like his BHSE.  If you like his Pico with HD600, you gotta love his highest end dynamics amp with the HD600 or HD800 for that matter.  I don't even bother turning on the BHSE these days, b/c the GS-X MK2 + HD800 just sound that sublime.

Wow, I always wondered what the bass on GSX/HD800 is actually like, especially compared to other tube amps like the Stratus and Wa2 (even though the wa2 is in a completely different price category) 

 

 

Does the bass have more impact and slam as I have heard others describe? it sounds like a lot of fun with the right music. 

post #5242 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post


I sure wish you have a chance to try out the HD800 with your GS-X MK2 by now.  I didn't think much of the HD800 initially, but it is one of my favorite headphones now once powered by GS-X MK2 especially in balanced mode.  Bass quality & quantity are no longer of issues.  The sound is very integrated & coherent from top to bottom.  Justin really did an amazing job with the GS-X MK2, of course, just like his BHSE.  If you like his Pico with HD600, you gotta love his highest end dynamics amp with the HD600 or HD800 for that matter.  I don't even bother turning on the BHSE these days, b/c the GS-X MK2 + HD800 just sound that sublime.

I've actually heard the HD-800's with the GS-Xmk2, but it was only for a very short time and I can't remember if it was in balanced mode.
To what I recall there was plenty detail ( IMO not as much as the 009's ) but they had too much soundstage for my liking, and the time I heard the HD-800's I was using SED tubes with my BHSE when listening to my 009's. Since using the Psvane PH's with my BHSE , my 009's have gone to another level, a level that no other headphone I've heard has come close to.
The LCD-XC's driven by the GS-Xmk2 IMO do sound amazing, and some might prefer that combo to the 009 / BHSE, it's just that since using the PH's with my BHSE, has made it that when listening to my 009's I find it very difficult to take them off.
post #5243 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

...  I don't even bother turning on the BHSE these days, b/c the GS-X MK2 + HD800 just sound that sublime.

I don't have the BHSE / SR009 combo but for sure looking eagerly forward to the latter :D ... 5 month on the waiting list.

post #5244 of 6442

The HD800s are known for their expanded sound stage compared with 009s.   Tyll Hertsens commented about this here.  It is a matter of personal preference and depends on the type of music.  Classical music benefits greatly from the HD800s and even small ensembles sound better with HD800s IMO.  I've also found that flattening the response curve with an equalizer greatly expands the sound stage.  I'm very curious to hear how the 009s and my EQ will work together to improve the sound stage.

post #5245 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post
 

The HD800s are known for their expanded sound stage compared with 009s.   Tyll Hertsens commented about this here.  It is a matter of personal preference and depends on the type of music.  Classical music benefits greatly from the HD800s and even small ensembles sound better with HD800s IMO.  I've also found that flattening the response curve with an equalizer greatly expands the sound stage.  I'm very curious to hear how the 009s and my EQ will work together to improve the sound stage.

that is very interesting , keep us posted please. 

post #5246 of 6442
Since using the PH's with my BHSE, the soundstage of the 009's ( to my hearing ) has become wider, also some are saying the 009's are not the headphones to use with heavy metal, well head-fier astrostar59 downloaded onto my MacMini an album by a German band called " Rammstien ", and I have to say from the 009's they sound awesome.
post #5247 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Since using the PH's with my BHSE, the soundstage of the 009's ( to my hearing ) has become wider, also some are saying the 009's are not the headphones to use with heavy metal, well head-fier astrostar59 downloaded onto my MacMini an album by a German band called " Rammstien ", and I have to say from the 009's they sound awesome.

Since you're talking about PH tubes in almost every post, I'm concerned with buying a BHSE without having such tubes. Where do you get these ?

 

Ali

post #5248 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-Pacha View Post
 

Since you're talking about PH tubes in almost every post, I'm concerned with buying a BHSE without having such tubes. Where do you get these ?

 

Ali

 

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-philips-holland-metal-base-replica-el34ph-quad/

post #5249 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-Pacha View Post

Since you're talking about PH tubes in almost every post, I'm concerned with buying a BHSE without having such tubes. Where do you get these ?

Ali

I got mine from Grant Fidelity .

Sorry if I'm getting on head-fiers nerves mentioning the PH's all the time, but when I was using the stock Mullard's and SED's I was never completely happy listening to my 009's driven by the BHSE, but with the PH's I couldn't be happier, they have calmed down the highs yet retained all the detail.
post #5250 of 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-Pacha View Post
 

Since you're talking about PH tubes in almost every post, I'm concerned with buying a BHSE without having such tubes. Where do you get these ?

 

Ali

 

Sorry for the plug, I have a set of used psvane el34ph I may be looking to sell -- you can PM me if you are interested.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition