Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 309

post #4621 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Just received the EL34PH's I ordered, and was told by Rich [ head-fier Rico613 ] that the ones he got had large pins, so when it came to inserting them they were somewhat awkward.



I've inserted those I got and they were tighter than the SED EL34's I have, but I managed to get them in, and take them out with not that much of a problem.



I took them out because the leads that came with Multimeter I recently got, won't go far enough in the Stax sockets on my BHSE, so I've had to order some leads that will.



 



 



                                  



 



 



                                    AppleMark

 



Hello David

I had exactly tyhe same problem with the multimeter I bough. But I just had to remove -with an ordinary kitchen knife- the plastic aroud the metal pins (leads) at the end of the probs, exactly the way you strip down the end of a wire, to a sufficient lenght of course.

Best regards
post #4622 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Just received the EL34PH's I ordered, and was told by Rich [ head-fier Rico613 ] that the ones he got had large pins, so when it came to inserting them they were somewhat awkward.





I've inserted those I got and they were tighter than the SED EL34's I have, but I managed to get them in, and take them out with not that much of a problem.





I took them out because the leads that came with Multimeter I recently got, won't go far enough in the Stax sockets on my BHSE, so I've had to order some leads that will.





 





 





                                  





 





 





                                    AppleMark

 





Hello David



I had exactly tyhe same problem with the multimeter I bough. But I just had to remove -with an ordinary kitchen knife- the plastic aroud the metal pins (leads) at the end of the probs, exactly the way you strip down the end of a wire, to a sufficient lenght of course.



Best regards

 



PS: I meant, "the end of the probes", of course!
post #4623 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post



Purple

Very cool seeing the in-progress pictures - more please :-)  I assume you're still waiting for the Silver panels, right?

post #4624 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
 

Just received the EL34PH's I ordered, and was told by Rich [ head-fier Rico613 ] that the ones he got had large pins, so when it came to inserting them they were somewhat awkward.

I've inserted those I got and they were tighter than the SED EL34's I have, but I managed to get them in, and take them out with not that much of a problem.

I took them out because the leads that came with Multimeter I recently got, won't go far enough in the Stax sockets on my BHSE, so I've had to order some leads that will.

 

 

                                  

 

 

                                    AppleMark


Sorry, I don't get it. You should still be able to use the probes to at least get the measurements. Might not be able to do the adjustments on your own (if probes won't sit in the holes by themselves). Shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a reading to give you an idea how close to zero they are.

post #4625 of 5693
I've actually tried my BHSE with the EL34PH's today without biasing them, but I only listened to 3 of my CD's ( two of which are SACD's ) because that's all I needed to listen to, I also didn't need 2 BHSE's in order to help tell the differences. ( I haven't tried my sources DAC yet, but I will soon )
As I've said, I'm not very good at describing SQ, but the easiest way for me to do that, is my BHSE with the EL34PH's, sounded like it had had a shot of adrenaline ( steroids would probably be a better word to use, but I've never taken them so I wouldn't know for sure ).
To my hearing, the differences I found were, better detail, greater separation and a more realistic SQ.
But the thing that impressed me the most, was one of the CD's I listened to, which is actually a SACD, was " So " by Peter Gabriel.
On that album are two of the most uncomfortable songs I've heard from the 009 / BHSE, those two songs are " Sledge Hammer " and " Big Time ", however with the EL34PH's being used I was even listening to those two songs above my normal listening volume.

Another thing I did was change my interconnects, I was only using my copper RCA's with the BHSE, but because using the EL34PH's seems to have taken away the harshness I was hearing with some songs, I've started using my silver XLR's with the BHSE.

I don't know what Justin has plans on doing, but IMO he should start making the EL34PH available with the BHSE straight away.

BTW, does anyone want to buy a quad of SED EL34's, because I'm eventually getting another quad of EL34PH's.

P.S. I'd like to thank Golfnutz, because I find what he's written about the EL34PH, is spot on.
post #4626 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I've actually tried my BHSE with the EL34PH's today without biasing them, but I only listened to 3 of my CD's ( two of which are SACD's ) because that's all I needed to listen to, I also didn't need 2 BHSE's in order to help tell the differences. ( I haven't tried my sources DAC yet, but I will soon )
As I've said, I'm not very good at describing SQ, but the easiest way for me to do that, is my BHSE with the EL34PH's, sounded like it had had a shot of adrenaline ( steroids would probably be a better word to use, but I've never taken them so I wouldn't know for sure ).
To my hearing, the differences I found were, better detail, greater separation and a more realistic SQ.
But the thing that impressed me the most, was one of the CD's I listened to, which is actually a SACD, was " So " by Peter Gabriel.
On that album are two of the most uncomfortable songs I've heard from the 009 / BHSE, those two songs are " Sledge Hammer " and " Big Time ", however with the EL34PH's being used I was even listening to those two songs above my normal listening volume.

Another thing I did was change my interconnects, I was only using my copper RCA's with the BHSE, but because using the EL34PH's seems to have taken away the harshness I was hearing with some songs, I've started using my silver XLR's with the BHSE.

I don't know what Justin has plans on doing, but IMO he should start making the EL34PH available with the BHSE straight away.

BTW, does anyone want to buy a quad of SED EL34's, because I'm eventually getting another quad of EL34PH's.

P.S. I'd like to thank Golfnutz, because I find what he's written about the EL34PH, is spot on.


Thanks David.

 

Hopefully you won't have the reliability issues others have experienced.

 

3 words to describe the EL34PH - Life, Clarity, Resolution.

 

Curious if you think they sound more like a source upgrade then anything else. I recommend you wait between 20 - 50 hours before commenting.

post #4627 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnutz View Post


Hopefully you won't have the reliability issues others have experienced.

3 words to describe the EL34PH - Life, Clarity, Resolution.

Curious if you think they sound more like a source upgrade then anything else. I recommend you wait between 20 - 50 hours before commenting.

I've had my BHSE on power today with the EL34PH's for over 7 hours without any problems, but it's early days.

I've also just been listening to some songs via my sources DAC, and same thing, they all sounded much better, which I honestly find hard to believe.

Because my source is the best I've heard, and that ATM there are no upgrades for it, I've not heard better SQ ( from headphones ) , so I don't know if the better SQ I'm hearing is like an upgrade to my source, but those that are thinking on visiting my place to hear my audio equipment, ( especially my BHSE with the EL34PH's, ) IMO are in for a treat.
post #4628 of 5693

Good news indeed!!! 

 

Thanks Dave and Ed . . .

post #4629 of 5693

Excellent news David! It seems these EL34 have exceeded your expectations, which is great considering the top notch system you've got. I'll probably place an order for them as well

post #4630 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post
 

Good news indeed!!! 

 

Thanks Dave and Ed . . .


You know these things aren't perfect, and I don't want members getting the wrong impression - they don't fix everything that's wrong with the SR-009.

 

Certainly, everything does sound better (as David and others have mentioned, the improvement in sound is quite noticeable - no need for a second BHSE to compare with).

 

I still hear issues with voicing on some CD's, but it doesn't bother me as much as it might some others.

post #4631 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post


I've had my BHSE on power today with the EL34PH's for over 7 hours without any problems, but it's early days.

I've also just been listening to some songs via my sources DAC, and same thing, they all sounded much better, which I honestly find hard to believe.

Because my source is the best I've heard, and that ATM there are no upgrades for it, I've not heard better SQ ( from headphones ) , so I don't know if the better SQ I'm hearing is like an upgrade to my source, but those that are thinking on visiting my place to hear my audio equipment, ( especially my BHSE with the EL34PH's, ) IMO are in for a treat.


You should put the SED's back in and see how long you can listen to them for...

post #4632 of 5693

Or better still, wait until you've had 50-100 hours on the PH's and then put the SED's back in and see how long you can listen to them for.

The only problem there is that it could take a few weeks to clock up those amount of hours.

 

IMO the PH's are not a tone control that will "warm up" the sound - they don't add any extra bass bloom or cut down the treble. Everything is just clearer and more precise and more lifelike, such that I'm drawn into the music instead of noticing imperfections. Still waiting for my replacement set to arrive...

post #4633 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
 

Or better still, wait until you've had 50-100 hours on the PH's and then put the SED's back in and see how long you can listen to them for.

The only problem there is that it could take a few weeks to clock up those amount of hours.

 

IMO the PH's are not a tone control that will "warm up" the sound - they don't add any extra bass bloom or cut down the treble. Everything is just clearer and more precise and more lifelike, such that I'm drawn into the music instead of noticing imperfections. Still waiting for my replacement set to arrive...

That's a very good way to describe it. "Warming the sound, bass bloom, cutting down the treble", are attributes I mostly associate with amps. Probably the reason I think the changes you hear are more like a source upgrade.

post #4634 of 5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnutz View Post



You should put the SED's back in and see how long you can listen to them for...

Before listening to my BHSE with the EL34PH's, I listened to one of the 3 albums with the SED's, that album was Tubular Bells which I have on SACD.
I obviously had to let the BHSE cool down before I could take the SED's out and replace them with the EL34PH's, however as soon as I inserted the PH's, Tubular Bells was the first album I listened to again, and I listened to the BHSE without leaving it to warm up, and even though I used the BHSE straight away, I could still hear an improvement.
I'm normally pessimistic with certain things, and if I hear something that doesn't sound any different, then I don't hesitate in saying so, but with what I heard using the EL34PH's, that wasn't the case.

Some might not hear a difference, but I did.

I won't be putting the SED's back in my BHSE unless something happens the PH's, in fact I'll probably be putting the SED's on eBay.
post #4635 of 5693

update - the rest of the silver panels are being shipped to me from the polisher today. then i have to inspect all the pieces for scratches, send any back if necessary, and then get them to the anodizer

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition