Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 186

post #2776 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroH View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post


Amp chassis by itself: 15.5" x 12.5" x 3"

- the attenuator adds 13/16" to the 12.5" depth and the RCA jacks add 11/16" more

- the amp's cone feet add 1 1/2" to the height and the tubes when installed add 3 3/4" more.

 

PSU chassis by itself: 7 5/8" x 12 3/8" x 3.5"

- the PSU's cone feet add 1 1/16"

 

I would recommend against placing the amp and PSU together, as they both need plenty of air to radiate their heat. I have my amp on my desk and the PSU on the floor when I use my BHSE.

I'm used to the metric system, unfamiliar with the imperial system, so to be sure I got the dimensions right:

- The full dimensions of the amp are (W x D x H): 15.5'' x 14'' x 8.25''

- The full dimensions of the PSU are (W x D x H): 7.625'' x 12.375'' x 4.5625''

 

Is this what is described in the quote above?

 

Also, how long are the supplied cables between the PSU and the Amp?

 

Thanks, Pedro


Those dimensions sound right if youre including tube height and things like the volume knob and rca jacks that stick out. The power cord is 4 feet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2777 of 4975

Anyone tried to use this as a preamp in a speaker system? As it has RCA out I guess it can play that role in complement to headphone amp...

 

Any pictures of the back side?

post #2778 of 4975

There are no pre-amp outputs, but there are loop outputs.  You could connect these to a pre-amp.

 

you can see the back in this pic: http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/66/66104a7c_bhses2.jpeg

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2779 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

There are no pre-amp outputs, but there are loop outputs.  You could connect these to a pre-amp.

 

you can see the back in this pic: http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/66/66104a7c_bhses2.jpeg

 

Justin, the picture is from a previous batch -- not the current -- right?

post #2780 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by satorarepotenet View Post

 

Justin, the picture is from a previous batch -- not the current -- right?

correct

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2781 of 4975

Glad Virginia grounds are not trembling like those here. You wouldn't see a picture of 5kUSD amps laying on the side like that in Japan ;)

post #2782 of 4975

Just had the pleasure of listening to the BHSE with the 007 and 009 over the weekend. While the 007 sounds great with the BHSE, the 009s was a clear step up over the 007. I can see the appeal of a Stax setup and the clarity, resolution and pinpoint accuracy of the 009s and the BHSE was nothing short of breathtaking.

post #2783 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpz View Post

Steps wouldn't bother me because I could just use the preamp function in my dac

Do you loose bits when you use the preamp function in your DAC?

post #2784 of 4975

Depends on the DAC. He has 2 very nice DACs though so I'd assume no.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfi View Post

Do you loose bits when you use the preamp function in your DAC?

post #2785 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

Just had the pleasure of listening to the BHSE with the 007 and 009 over the weekend. While the 007 sounds great with the BHSE, the 009s was a clear step up over the 007. I can see the appeal of a Stax setup and the clarity, resolution and pinpoint accuracy of the 009s and the BHSE was nothing short of breathtaking.


Hi Tim, thanks for coming over and sharing. I found out that I like the tonality and presentation of orthos and I can see myself owning a pair.....possibly closed variety to complement my 009s. The LCD3 has a well deserved reputation particularly the bass.....very satisfying. Next I will have to do it justice by listening to it on an appropriate amp.

I have 2 observations to add to your meet impressions:

1. After listening to the 007mk1 and the 009s out of the BHSE the past 6 months, I clearly prefer the 009s on almost every single aspect. Only one area does the O2 do better in that it is more forgiving of bright recordings. The 009s is clearly better in the bass department; speed, texture, impact and depth. The soundstage is more responsive to differentials in recording and is pin point in its placement. But the biggest difference between the 007s and the 009s is in the reproduction of the details. Been said many many times here but I really do hear new things even in recordings that I have owned for 20 years. Every recording has been a jaw dropping revelation especially for complex layered music.

2. The BHSE is a good match for the 009s. After reading some opinion of a tendency to brightness, I was particularly concerned about this being a problem. Actually, it is only bright on recordings that I know to be bright. So basically, it is reproducing what is on the recording...which is a good thing in my book. No hint of brightness on properly mastered recordings.

It is obvious that the 009s elicit differing opinions but for those who love those qualities I described, do yourself a favour.....go listen.
Edited by tiga3mata - 12/10/12 at 5:16am
post #2786 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiga3mata View Post


Hi Tim, thanks for coming over and sharing. I found out that I like the tonality and presentation of orthos and I can see myself owning a pair.....possibly closed variety to complement my 009s. The LCD3 has a well deserved reputation particularly the bass.....very satisfying. Next I will have to do it justice by listening to it on an appropriate amp.

 

The pleasure was all mine. Thanks again for having us and for opening your home and gear to us. Great place for a mini meet. Sure hope to do it again sometime. redface.gif

 

Yes, you should hear the LCD-3 on the WA22. A quality amp does wonders for the LCD-3 to make them really sing. Very much akin to the 009s where it hungers for quality source components to really appreciate what its capable of.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiga3mata View Post

I have 2 observations to add to your meet impressions:

1. After listening to the 007mk1 and the 009s out of the BHSE the past 6 months, I clearly prefer the 009s on almost every single aspect. Only one area does the O2 do better in that it is more forgiving of bright recordings. The 009s is clearly better in the bass department; speed, texture, impact and depth. The soundstage is more responsive to differentials in recording and is pin point in its placement. But the biggest difference between the 007s and the 009s is in the reproduction of the details. Been said many many times here but I really do hear new things even in recordings that I have owned for 20 years. Every recording has been a jaw dropping revelation especially for complex layered music.

2. The BHSE is a good match for the 009s. After reading some opinion of a tendency to brightness, I was particularly concerned about this being a problem. Actually, it is only bright on recordings that I know to be bright. So basically, it is reproducing what is on the recording...which is a good thing in my book. No hint of brightness on properly mastered recordings.
It is obvious that the 009s elicit differing opinions but for those who love those qualities I described, do yourself a favour.....go listen.
 

Totally agree with your impressions of the 009. They really are detail monsters and extremely revealing of the source material. You've said it - the 009s has amazing speed, clarity and texture and I was really impressed by what I was hearing. Wished I had spent more time listening to the 009s. wink.gif Im convinced that the BHSE and the 009s make a wonderful pairing and I cannot imagine how it can get any better than this. 

 

Having laid eyes on the BHSE for the first time, I was very impressed with the workmanship and design of the amp. It looks and feels every bit like a high-end amplifier. Very very well built and the attention to detail is stunning. Kudos to Justin for this amazing amp. 

post #2787 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknightDK View Post

 Im convinced that the BHSE and the 009s make a wonderful pairing and I cannot imagine how it can get any better than this. 

 

 

 

With me owning the BHSE and 009's, I'll let you know when I receive the Aristaeus.

post #2788 of 4975
It was fun and I would definitely do it again. I would love to hear the LCD3 out of the WA22 to see how it can complement the 009s with the BHSE. Another amp that may be interesting for the LCD3 is the HeadAmp GSX.
Edited by tiga3mata - 12/12/12 at 8:06am
post #2789 of 4975

Hello Marty

 

This is fine, but did your daughter try the SR009/BHSE combination with a top-quality source?

 

Back to literature, it suddenly comes to my mind that Philip K. DIck, in one of his last written works (some sort of diary), mentions the fact that he recently bought a Stax headphone and that he really enjoys it. Similarly, at the beginning of American Psycho (a great novel!), the hero, Mr Bateman, describes his stereo in a way that is more than impressive: scary!

 

Best regards

 

Philippe

post #2790 of 4975

The black BHSE from last weekend's D.C. area meet, with the Stax SR-009 and SR-507

 

Getting close to batch #3

 

 

1000

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition