Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 183

post #2731 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post

need a license http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/experience-hendrix-llc

Like they used to say back then "that's far out".
post #2732 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbigger View Post

justin - looks to me the faceplate is easy to dismantle. you may want to consider selling it as an accessories. if you do, i want the purple ones. and gold too if one day you decided to make it. oh yeah, the knob too


There are circuit boards attached to the back of each faceplate, and on the amp you'd have to desolder the headphone jack wires, so it's really not feasible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2733 of 6178

A gold faceplate BHSE would be an awesome combo with a Lavry Gold as source.

post #2734 of 6178

Hello Sator... (too long for me, sorry)

 

Your question has probably been already answered, but maybe mine can help anyway...

 

When it comes to using RCA or XLR connectors, two points should be considered:

 

1. The topology (or circuitry) of the source and destination (e.g., CD reader and earphones amp) devices: for XLR connection to be profitable, both must of the balanced kind. According to Justin Wilson, this is the case for the BHSE -I think we can trust him!; I don't know about your Bel Canto DAC: you'll have to check! Notice that XLR sockets at the back of the rigs do not mean that the circuit behind is balanced; it simply means that XLR cables can be plugged in -which may be interesting anyway if you don't have RCA cables available.

 

2. The quality of cables and connectors: it's the most important feature to consider. Within the same price range, RCAs will be better and their higher quality will, most of the times, overcome the benefit of using XLR connection between two balanced devices; of course, exceptions may exist!

 

Therefore, if point 1. is met and if you can afford high-quality XLR cables, yes, you'll get better SQ results in every respect (especially signal/noise) with XLR cables.

 

Regards.

post #2735 of 6178

Hello Marty

 

I notice you changed your logo: now it's Bender!

 

Is it because of my remark (Futurama better than The Simpsons)?

 

Regards.

post #2736 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil95 View Post

Hello Marty

 

I notice you changed your logo: now it's Bender!

 

Is it because of my remark (Futurama better than The Simpsons)?

 

Regards.

 

It did remind me that my avatar was old............and I do like Futurama better............really need a smiling version of Bender wearing headphones though......this one shows him looking like he is listening to something ear-bleeding, like Beats.

post #2737 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil95 View Post

Hello Sator... (too long for me, sorry)

 

Your question has probably been already answered, but maybe mine can help anyway...

 

When it comes to using RCA or XLR connectors, two points should be considered:

 

1. The topology (or circuitry) of the source and destination (e.g., CD reader and earphones amp) devices: for XLR connection to be profitable, both must of the balanced kind. According to Justin Wilson, this is the case for the BHSE -I think we can trust him!; I don't know about your Bel Canto DAC: you'll have to check! Notice that XLR sockets at the back of the rigs do not mean that the circuit behind is balanced; it simply means that XLR cables can be plugged in -which may be interesting anyway if you don't have RCA cables available.

 

2. The quality of cables and connectors: it's the most important feature to consider. Within the same price range, RCAs will be better and their higher quality will, most of the times, overcome the benefit of using XLR connection between two balanced devices; of course, exceptions may exist!

 

Therefore, if point 1. is met and if you can afford high-quality XLR cables, yes, you'll get better SQ results in every respect (especially signal/noise) with XLR cables.

 

Regards.

Thank you Phil. According to the description found on the Bel Canto website, it seems that the XLR connection is balanced. See below.

 

But I am a little confused by what you wrote. On the one hand you say that RCA will (almost) always outperform XLR (in the same price range), but that if I can afford XLR I should go for it. Please enlighten me! Thanks again.

 

   

 

Analog 24/192 DAC Section:

Maximum Output:

           

4Vrms balanced XLR, 2Vrms RCA

Output Impedance:

           

200 ohms balanced XLR, 100 ohms RCA

Frequency Response:

           

20 Hz-20 KHz, +/- 0.5dB

THD+N:

           

<0.0015%, 4Vrms balanced out, 1KHz

Output Noise:

           

3.3uVrms A-weighted 20Hz-20KHz

Dynamic Range:

           

122dB A-weighted 20Hz-20KHz

 
post #2738 of 6178

I admit my conclusion isn't quite clear... Within the same price range, the measured performance (e.g., bandwidth) of RCA cables is better than XLR's, and if you do not benefit from balanced circuitry, this advantage is clearly audible. When balanced circuitry is in effect, sometimes the higher cable quality (RCA) wins, sometimes the balanced connection (necessarily XLR) has the upper hand. It depends, of course, on the cables and on the source/destination features. The best thing to do is to borrow cables for a test period and see (or hear) for yourself.

 

The question is: if price has no importance, are top-of-the-top XLR cables as good as their RCA equivalents? If such XLR cables exist, they will be noticeably dearer than RCAs.

 

(This discussion applies to modulation cables)

post #2739 of 6178

Oops delete.


Edited by johnwmclean - 11/28/12 at 1:05am
post #2740 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil95 View Post

I admit my conclusion isn't quite clear... Within the same price range, the measured performance (e.g., bandwidth) of RCA cables is better than XLR's, and if you do not benefit from balanced circuitry, this advantage is clearly audible. When balanced circuitry is in effect, sometimes the higher cable quality (RCA) wins, sometimes the balanced connection (necessarily XLR) has the upper hand. It depends, of course, on the cables and on the source/destination features. The best thing to do is to borrow cables for a test period and see (or hear) for yourself.

 

The question is: if price has no importance, are top-of-the-top XLR cables as good as their RCA equivalents? If such XLR cables exist, they will be noticeably dearer than RCAs.

 

(This discussion applies to modulation cables)

Thanks for the clarification Phil.

Just because I have a BHSE in order, it doesn't mean that price has no importance! I guess that I'll stick with the RCA cables I already have for a while, and borrow RCA cables to explore a little bit when I have a chance. 

post #2741 of 6178

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2742 of 6178

point me to a single article that backs up this ridiculous claim.  no rca or xlr cable that I know of can possibly band limit the audio range

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil95 View Post

I admit my conclusion isn't quite clear... Within the same price range, the measured performance (e.g., bandwidth) of RCA cables is better than XLR's,

post #2743 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

no rca or xlr cable that I know of can possibly band limit the audio range

 

 

some have tried...

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2744 of 6178

 

Thank you Justin.15 dollars for 1.5. meter. Wow, those are cheap! 

 

So Justin, and Doug, do you agree with Phil that there is no much difference between RCA and XLR? I have a pair of RCA Kimbercable Hero, which I paid about 150 dollars if I am not mistaken. Perhaps I should just stick with it.

post #2745 of 6178
Quote:
Originally Posted by satorarepotenet View Post

 

Thank you Justin.15 dollars for 1.5. meter. Wow, those are cheap! 

 

So Justin, and Doug, do you agree with Phil that there is no much difference between RCA and XLR? I have a pair of RCA Kimbercable Hero, which I paid about 150 dollars if I am not mistaken. Perhaps I should just stick with it.

 

whatever difference exists in the unbalanced vs balanced circuitry will overwhelmingly be the issue here.  probably by a factor of 1 million to 1.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition