Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition - Page 175

post #2611 of 4975

Of course spritzer is correct until you sight a schematic or strip the unit down there’s no 100% certainty to know whether this is indeed a fully balanced DAC.

But... going from the Esoterics own literature it clearly states “fully balanced”.

In the output stage they state symmetrical buffers for each +/- signal lines for differential balanced (XLR) and then paralleled for single ended (RCA).

 

 


Edited by johnwmclean - 10/4/12 at 2:06pm
post #2612 of 4975
This has been discussed before but, from esoteric japan's product page:

<<These powerful discrete buffer output circuits are laid out symmetrically for each of the hot/cold signal lines to construct a rich and fully balanced configuration for XLR audio outputs. >>

And the electrical diagram from the international product page: http://esoteric.teac.com/resources/pdf/k-01.pdf
Edited by arnaud - 10/4/12 at 2:21pm
post #2613 of 4975

What's the worst that can happen if someone changes the EL34 tubes in any kind of blue hawaii without re-biasing the amp with a multimeter?

post #2614 of 4975
Wonder how this would sound with the HD800 custom colored biggrin.gif
post #2615 of 4975

It would sound like an explosion...when your HD800s exploded.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophileof92 View Post

Wonder how this would sound with the HD800 custom colored biggrin.gif
post #2616 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

What's the worst that can happen if someone changes the EL34 tubes in any kind of blue hawaii without re-biasing the amp with a multimeter?

 

I did exactly that when I got a quad of SED EL34's but I only did it after advice from Birgir. After I put them in I ran the BHSE for about four hours and it ran like a dream, and the SQ was amazing. I have read that not biasing the tubes shortens their lifetime but I don't know for sure. I used the BHSE without biasing the tubes for about two weeks without any problems but after I saw the video Justin did I decided to bias them.

post #2617 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

What's the worst that can happen if someone changes the EL34 tubes in any kind of blue hawaii without re-biasing the amp with a multimeter?

 

nothing really.  if it's way off, something is wrong with the tube(s), or they're not EL34.  otherwise the amount of adjustment needed won't be much

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #2618 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

 

I did exactly that when I got a quad of SED EL34's but I only did it after advice from Birgir. After I put them in I ran the BHSE for about four hours and it ran like a dream, and the SQ was amazing. I have read that not biasing the tubes shortens their lifetime but I don't know for sure. I used the BHSE without biasing the tubes for about two weeks without any problems but after I saw the video Justin did I decided to bias them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

nothing really.  if it's way off, something is wrong with the tube(s), or they're not EL34.  otherwise the amount of adjustment needed won't be much

 

Thanks.  I have a quad of SED winged C EL34 that I bought from a respected forum member a year or two ago, but I have been afraid to try them.  I'd like to save my Mullard XF2 from wearing out too fast, by only using them when I really need that sound.  So swapping in the SED could save some wear and tear on the good tubes.  My KGBH that luvdunhill built is running higher than normal voltage rails and a custom CCS, and sounds marvelous with the XF2 and SR-009, so I'm not sure the SED will be as enjoyable.  I'd at least like to give them a try.

post #2619 of 4975

So Spritzer, can you undress one and find out if it's balanced or not? I'm too unskilled to do so.

 

Best regards.

post #2620 of 4975

Thank you jwmclean! You're more than positive!

post #2621 of 4975

THank you very much arnaud.

post #2622 of 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil95 View Post

So Spritzer, can you undress one and find out if it's balanced or not? I'm too unskilled to do so.

 

Best regards.

 

There are no Esoteric dealers here so no K-01's to rip apart.  Given how much they stress the "fully balanced" in their documentation it probably is just that but I'll wager that the output stage is a steaming pile of ***** as in all other Esoteric gear. 

post #2623 of 4975

Wow!

Thanks for the expert opinion Spritzer!!!

Guess I wont be buying any overpriced steaming piles of *****.

(not that I could afford to...)

post #2624 of 4975

I don't know what's inside the K-01 but it does sound pretty good. With me having the K-01, I'm not offended about Birgir's thoughts on Esoteric gear infact I'm pleased about them. I say that because when there are any upgrades available on Esoteric equipment, Teac make them rather than an owner having to buy a new player which is just aswell because I've no intentions of getting anymore gear, apart from new headphones every so often. Birgir, if you could write your dislikes about Esoteric equipment, then Teac might see them and make the improvements needed.

post #2625 of 4975

I take it you've never talked to an audio engineer?  redface.gif  Going by what the ex-dealer here says Esoteric are an utter pain to deal with. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition