Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Just ordered a D10. Now im thinking I made the wrong decision?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just ordered a D10. Now im thinking I made the wrong decision?

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
I ordered a D10 earlier today because of all the good things i heard about them. But now im thinking I should have ordered the pico dac. Did I make the right decision? What are your thoughts to people who have heard both? I didnt realise how much more power the pico had.
post #2 of 41
The Pico doesn't have more power. It depends upon what opamps you use. You could use the same opamp as the Pico if you want. From what I have read the dac in the Pico doesn't sound any better. There have been posts on this in the D10 thread.
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
The Pico doesn't have more power. It depends upon what opamps you use. You could use the same opamp as the Pico if you want. From what I have read the dac in the Pico doesn't sound any better. There have been posts on this in the D10 thread.
This is not true, the Pico runs on a 2 cell li-po battery. It can output up to 8V * 250mA per channel. I apologize if the D10 also has a 2 cell battery and I'm unaware of it. If the D10 runs on a single cell battery, its power is no more than half of the Pico's.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #4 of 41
It always confuses the hell out of me when people say LiPo. I always read that as lithium-polonium. Personally, I say LiPol.

Look on the bright side: Even if you did need the power, you saved $200. And if you don't, you saved $200. (That's assuming we're talking about the DAC/amp, since we're talking about power)

Oh wait. This is Head-Fi.
post #5 of 41
The d10 is an amazing amp/dac. You won't be disappointed. But I would change its stock config when you get it.
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
This is not true, the Pico runs on a 2 cell li-po battery. It can output up to 8V * 250mA per channel. I apologize if the D10 also has a 2 cell battery and I'm unaware of it. If the D10 runs on a single cell battery, its power is no more than half of the Pico's.
The D10 has removable opamps so you can put in any number that will work within its voltage range. Dual opamps with the correct termination can be stacked, which will give more than 250mA of output.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
The D10 has removable opamps so you can put in any number that will work within its voltage range. Dual opamps with the correct termination can be stacked, which will give more than 250mA of output.
if you stacked for 500mA output current, and 3.7V battery, that would only be useful at headphone impedances that dont exist, below 8 ohms. Technically same power level, but not practical.

250mA w/ a 7.4V battery will be useful over a wide range of headphone impedances. HD600-800, AKG K701 are some extremely popular headphones that can clip w/ only a 3.7V battery before reaching painful levels. 3.7V of BASS into a headphone like that is not very loud because of how much they roll off the lowest frequencies.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #8 of 41
I was also deciding between a D10 and Pico... I went with the Pico and have no regrets. Plus, it looks much nicer
post #9 of 41
Got both.
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
Got both.
...and your thoughts? lol
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
...and your thoughts? lol
You can't go wrong with either. Both are excellent. D10 is flexible with the ability to roll opamps.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
You can't go wrong with either. Both are excellent. D10 is flexible with the ability to roll opamps.
How would you describe the ability of each to drive headphones to normal listening levels?
post #13 of 41
what a safe answer
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
How would you describe the ability of each to drive headphones to normal listening levels?
I only use both with Ety ER4P/S IEMs, not hard to drive.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
what a safe answer
I have to be, after all I'm on Head-Fi.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Just ordered a D10. Now im thinking I made the wrong decision?